Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Cordless drill purchase for DIYer: Recs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cordless drill purchase for DIYer: Recs?

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain here. Why not consider a corded model instead of cordless. Forget batteries dying, replacing if not charged, waiting for them to charge etc. I have corded (numerous) and cordless too. I have a Milwaukee 0244-1 corded model that I end up reaching for more often than a cordless. Why? It has a 1/2 in chuck to handle anything you'll ever want to put in it. 0-600 rpms will drill steel and put in lag screws until your hand gets tired and never skip a beat. Will plunge a 1'' ship auger thru tripled 2x s to run electrical line, etc. etc. etc. This thing is a true workhorse and is often overlooked because of its gear reduction and slower speed
    I like my corded tool collection (milwaukee magnum etc) in the shop but 99% of the time its the cordless tools for most of my jobs/projects outside. The nice thing about the cordless revolution is the price of the corded tools have dropped to affordable levels. HD sells good circular,jig,recip saws for $30-50 for example
    Last edited by reConx; 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
      ......... The nice thing about the cordless revolution is the price of the corded tools have dropped to affordable levels. HD sells good circular,jig,recip saws for $30-50 for example
      Another excellent point in favor of buying corded over cordless. In many cases you can also get a more powerful tool when you go corded.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain here. Why not consider a corded model instead of cordless. Forget batteries dying, replacing if not charged, waiting for them to charge etc. I have corded (numerous) and cordless too. I have a Milwaukee 0244-1 corded model that I end up reaching for more often than a cordless. Why? It has a 1/2 in chuck to handle anything you'll ever want to put in it. 0-600 rpms will drill steel and put in lag screws until your hand gets tired and never skip a beat. Will plunge a 1'' ship auger thru tripled 2x s to run electrical line, etc. etc. etc. This thing is a true workhorse and is often overlooked because of its gear reduction and slower speed. Don't let that fool you. You don't need high rpms to drill most stuff, just pure torque and its got it. Runs about $160 on Amazon.com and will last long enough for you to pass it on to next of kin and they'll pass it on to their heirs. No, I don't work for Milwaukee, and I don't own Milwaukee exclusively, but this drill is awesome. Cheers.
        Jim Don
        I think everyone doing serious projects should have a corded drill, a cordless is a supplemental tool. The other great point about a corded is that it will never become obsolete. This poster probably falls under this category. If the drill is only used for screws occasionally in an apartment, then a cordless is also fine.

PS Get yourself a good set of quick change drills and driver bits so you're not constantly changing out what's in the chuck.
        I think that the bits and quick change chuck are a place that you should spend the extra money. The cheap Ryobi quick change wobbles, and the bits break much easier than more expensive brands.

Comment

I suggested getting another corded in my first post.

Before I bought one battery tool I had a full set of corded ones. Having cordless is a nice convenience but in my opinion having a electric drill is more important than a cordless drill.

Forget the impact driver if 200.00 is your budget. Just get a good drill and bits. I would recommend this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Q7AH
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

ACE hardware is running a special today and tomorrow (June 27 & 28) on the Makita 6390DWPLE 18V 1/2" Standard Driver-Drill/Flashlight Kit with two NiCad batteries for $79. It's usually around $120. It's a good price for this unit.
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X