X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Gallon Shop Vac won't turn on

I have never had a problem with it but I went to use it and it will not turn on at all. The on/off switch is just dead. I cleaned the filter and looked for a reset button but could not find one. Also looked for troubleshooting on the web-site and could not find anything. Any suggestions?

Re: 16 Gallon Shop Vac won't turn on

Switches don't last forever so possibly it just wore out. If your vac is newer than 3 years, the switch should be covered under the warranty.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Switches don't last forever so possibly it just wore out. If your vac is newer than 3 years, the switch should be covered under the warranty.
      It is over 3 years old but rarely used. Maybe 25 times over the last four years. Maybe I can buy a new switch and install it myself?

Comment

Originally posted by raakevin View Post
        It is over 3 years old but rarely used. Maybe 25 times over the last four years. Maybe I can buy a new switch and install it myself?
        If you suspect the problem is with the switch it should be easy to replace. Inexpensive toggle switches are available at hardware stores or Radio Shack. You may have to drill a small hole in the housing to install the new switch. If your handy with a digital multimeter check out the voltage at the old switch before swapping it out.
        Last edited by reConx; 07-04-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

i have the same problem with my 16gal WD16650, i cracked open the case and bench tested the switch and it is working properly. all other electrical connections inside look good, and my wall socket is pushing a strong 120V. i'm going to try to call ridgid tomorrow and see what they say.

Comment

With the power cord plug pulled, try manually turning the fan by hand a few turns in both directions and then try running your vac. Sometimes the carbon motor brushes stick in the brush holders (There are 2 but it only takes 1) and don't make contact with the commutator bars as needed. This results in what seems like a totally dead motor.

If you're up to it take the motor-fan assembly out of the head and look for loose connections, check the switch using a multimeter or continuity tester, and inspect the carbon brushes for wear or sticking.

If you don't feel OK taking it apart, take just the head to a vacuum cleaner or appliance repair shop.

Comment

My motor quit over the weekend. Upon opening up the motor I learned the lead that connects to the carbon brush was broken off rendering the motor inoperative. Now my task is to find replacement brushes. The removal and replacement procedure is fairly simple.

Comment

Muskydan

Go here http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Literature-Search and in the search box type the word vacs and then click search. It should come back with a .PDF file with a long name. If you download it and open it in Adobe Reader you should have a parts listing for several models of Ridgid Shop Vacs. Once you find the part numbers call customer service at 1-800-474-3443.

Depending on where they broke off you might try soldering the leads back on.
                Last edited by Woussko; 10-20-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Woussko, Thanks. I called Ridgid. They do not provide any motor parts (no brushes ). However, they are sending me a blower wheel at no charge. I don't even know who manufactures the motor. When I get home I'll find out and see if they'll send me some brushes. The break is exactly where the copper wire meets the back side of the brush. Soldering may be an option; I just wasn't sure if the solder would hold copper wire to carbon brush. No harm in trying at this point!

Comment

i think they only sell the whole motor assembly..

Comment

When I had trouble turning my used Table saw on I was ask if the yellow safety key was in place. It wasn't and I found it. Now the saw works fine. Maybe some one can tell you if the Vac also has a safety key.

Comment

i just got product notice today in the mail about my shop vac, i have to email them and order replacement part to fix some problems
                        so might want to check with them and see if your vac was included

Comment

Working...
                        X