X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pressure Washer

I need to get a pressure washer, and recognize the Ridgid 3300psi ($600) model is a superior design to the 3000psi unit ($400). I also found at Costco a Karcher G 3050 OH, 3000 psi unit with Honda engine for $390. I noticed the Karcher weighs 63 lbs, vs 86 and 105 for the 3000 and 3300 psi Ridgid models (ruggedness?). The Karcher uses a 187cc Honda GC engine, and delivers 2.5gpm.

I have a hard time spending $600 for a pressure washer for home use, unless someone can point out why it makes sense. Gutters, stonework, driveways, sidewalks, dog run, car washing (is this really safe?), house exterior, windows?, is about it. Paved area to clean is about 800 square feet, with deck another 250.

Given these intended uses, what model is recommended? I'd expect the unit to last at least 10 years.

- Phil

Re: Which Pressure Washer

I am not familiar with Karcher unit, however you need to evaluate the pump on all three units to determine the best value. I have the Ridgid 3300psi unit and am very pleased with its performance. The pump is a very critical component and compared to the 3000psi Ridgid the added cost versus performance justified the cost for me. Who is the pump manufacturer and what type of what is it?
    Last edited by phils; 07-04-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

All I can find on the Karcher G 3050 OH is that it is an axial cam type pump, that is designed by Karcher themselves. They may or may not make it themselves.

- Phil

Comment

I have a Karcher 2500psi unit the Honda GVC160 engine. Pretty much my useage is what you said your's would be. My unit has been able to tackle any job I've thrown at so the 3000psi unit you're looking at should definately be enough to satisfy your needs.

I've only had my Karcher for a year and a half so I really can't speak to the longevity of the brand but while researching my purchase I found very little negative about the 1500psi and up Karcher gas powered pressure washers. Some of their smaller unit weren't rated very highly.

I will say that so far I've been pleased with the Karcher and would recommend the brand.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
          I need to get a pressure washer, and recognize the Ridgid 3300psi ($600) model is a superior design to the 3000psi unit ($400). I also found at Costco a Karcher G 3050 OH, 3000 psi unit with Honda engine for $390. I noticed the Karcher weighs 63 lbs, vs 86 and 105 for the 3000 and 3300 psi Ridgid models (ruggedness?). The Karcher uses a 187cc Honda GC engine, and delivers 2.5gpm.

I have a hard time spending $600 for a pressure washer for home use, unless someone can point out why it makes sense. Gutters, stonework, driveways, sidewalks, dog run, car washing (is this really safe?), house exterior, windows?, is about it. Paved area to clean is about 800 square feet, with deck another 250.

Given these intended uses, what model is recommended? I'd expect the unit to last at least 10 years.

- Phil
          For the car washing question, I called Meguiar's and they recommended that the pressure not exceed 1000 psi using a fan spray. So i bought a small electric unit for the cars. It's worked great, and I believe we use less water when washing them.
          John

Comment

I totally agree with BadgerDave. Back around 1999-2000 Lowe's carried Karcher gas machines and I bought one. I think the numbers were around 2200psi/2.3gpm and I used that thing year round for 8 or so years and it was still running great when I gave it away.

I've researched lots of brands and I think Karcher is as good as any. Everything is German engineered and that says enough. I was looking for a new Karcher when I found the Sears unit.

I recently found a steal at Sears. It's their Professional series 3400psi/2.8gpm unit and I found it for $560 due to closeout. It has an AR SJV series axial cam pump and it flat out rocks. Killer pressure and flow with plenty of power to spare. Axial cam pumps get dogged for not lasting as long as a good camshaft type pump, but I beg to differ. The camshaft pumps I've seen on lower end units like the John Deere machines at Lowe's and even the CAT pump on the Ridgid 3300 don't look like they're built that great. Now you do get what you pay for and $600 is a good price for the Ridgid 3300 compared to others, but it didn't impress me too much. It does have nice buyer's appeal (great looks), but I have read lots of complaints about it.

I always say buy what you can afford/need and take care of it. If it serves you well and you save money then that's all that matters. Later!

Comment

Originally posted by jharris2 View Post
              For the car washing question, I called Meguiar's and they recommended that the pressure not exceed 1000 psi using a fan spray. So i bought a small electric unit for the cars. It's worked great, and I believe we use less water when washing them.

You definitely save water by using a pressure washer. An average garden hose will spit out 6-10 gpm, while most pressure washers use between 2-4gpm. Most people think pressure washing is a waste of water, when the exact opposite is true. Later!

Comment

I went thru a lot of trouble researching and trying to decide on a pressure washer. REALLY wanted the Karcher from Costco, but one thing steered me away: no way to find any parts for the pump. The pump, you'll find out, is what will die on you first. The engine will last forever with good maintenance (especially a Honda), but the pump will wear out, etc. I called a few of the Karcher service centers, and the tune was the same....they are great until they need fixing. Hard to get parts, and expensive enough for parts that you might as well just buy a new pump. They are not built to be rebuilt, they are built to be replaced. Granted, Costcos return policy could override having to fix it, but if you fire it up and it doesnt work when you want, going to Costco for a new one is just a major pain in my book.

That said, I *did* spend $600.00 on a PW for home use, and I havent regretted it one bit. $600.00 got me a Honda commercial engine and a CAT pump (the same CAT pump on the Ridgid 3300 psi model). I dont think the CAT pump looks underbuilt at all, the casing itself looks thick as a small book. I do like the fact that its not an axial pump, and rebuild parts are available, so instead of buying a new 150.00 pump if it ever breaks, you get a 60.00 rebuild kit and fix it yourself (barring leaving water to freeze in the case and it cracking).

The funny thing is that I bought it to use for one thing around the house, and found 10 other uses for it before I ever got to use it for what I bought it for. That really made the investment worth it in my mind.

-Chris

Comment

I completely agree with the above post. The CAT pump is very solid and replacement parts are readily available. The Dewalt pw I own has a Honda motor with a CAT model 3DNX27GSI, which I believe is the same pump on the Ridgid 3300psi model. This is a great commercial grade pump that has worked flawlessly. The best buying advice I can give is to purchase a pw that will meet your cleaning needs and have the highest quality pump that your budget allows. Don't purchase a pressure washer solely based on the pw manufacturer or the brand of engine. Just my two cents.

Comment

Can you tell me what brand and model had the CAT pump and Honda commercial engine for $600? Before I drop $600, it would help to know what other uses I could find for the thing. What did you find it useful for?

- Phil

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
                    That said, I *did* spend $600.00 on a PW for home use, and I havent regretted it one bit. $600.00 got me a Honda commercial engine and a CAT pump (the same CAT pump on the Ridgid 3300 psi model). ).

The funny thing is that I bought it to use for one thing around the house, and found 10 other uses for it before I ever got to use it for what I bought it for. That really made the investment worth it in my mind.

-Chris

Comment

I have the ridgid 3300 pw for home use. so far i used it to clean the driveway, patio and part of my second story home for painting some areas.

Comment

Phil3,

I have tried several various pressure washers over the years and just wanted to put in my two cents for what it is worth.

I am cutting and pasting a portion of a post I posted here a few months ago regarding Rigid's new 3300 pressure washer Phil.

Here it is:

Here is what I have discovered so far about this Ridgid RD-80964 unit:

Totally awesome engineering [this unit is much stronger and has superior engineering by far compared to any other pressure washer unit I have ever used].

Easy start [after initial warm up, it has been one pull start each and every time!].
                        Special Note: No pressure washer I have ever used has ever been this easy to start. I just hope it stays this way!

Much quieter than my other pressure washer models [I am not sure how they did it, but I think it is possible they designed and implemented a much more advanced muffler system].

Super Heavy Duty Tires [never need to worry about pumping these babies up or patching nail holes because these tires are airless and tougher than nails].

Portability [the top half of this unit easily swivels and doubles over with a one button push mechanism that makes it half the size, thus saving storage/transportation space big time].

Pump Reliability [if you do your homework, you will discover that the CAT pump is the preferred preference among professionals when it comes to a water pump. Consider this fact: many commercial companies will not even consider purchasing pressure washers that do not use CAT].

Much cooler operating temperatures [to be honest with you, I have no clue how they managed to do this].

Warranty [3 years. Many companies will not even come close to this].
                        Special Note: Home Depo will add another two years for an extra $100.

Soap Option [this unit has the ability to add soap to your water sending unit so you can pressure wash with soap if you so desire].

Price [the price was substantially lower than what I paid for other units of equal or similar PSI ratings].

Closing thoughts:

When I first fired it up and tried it, it far exceeded my expectations. The more I use it, the more impressed I have become. No other unit that I have owned comes even close in an overall comparison.

Phil, in conclusion, none of the other models I used has come even close to this Rigid 3300.

Realize that I have used the following pressure washers over the years:

Ryobi
                        Dewalt
                        Karcher
                        Kelly Moore
                        Husky

Phil, I recommend you spend a little extra and get the Rigid 3300. You will save hours and hours of frustration that I unfortunately had to go through before finding this model.

Cheers!

Freddy

PS I suggest you type in 3300 pressure washer in the search box on this forum and read the articles. It will be an eye opener.
                        Don't squabble with the chickens
                        Instead, soar
                        with the eagles

Comment

I have the 3300psi unit, which is my first pressure washer, and to date I am satisfied with the unit. With respect to the warranty, the Subaru engine is limited to a two year warranty period not three years. Please read their warranty from Subaru. Ridgid indicates three years, but refers to Subaru for the engine warranty. I called customer service and informed them of this confusion, which they indicated they were not aware of.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Annovi-Reverbe...cm_cr-mr-title This my unit I paid about $300 for it!!!! Well worth seeking out. Unit can be rebuilt(kits avaible) and at 60lbs is a tank!!! 2.2 gallons a minute really he;ps flush dirt away. Relatively low pressure at 1500 psi(more like 1350-1400 in practice). Adjustable pressure too!!!
                            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

So far i'm satisfied with my 3000psi ridgid pressure washer. i've only used it a few times and its plenty for my needs. It comes with the AR axial cam pump, but if it breaks after warrenty you can buy similiar replacement AR pumps for numerous pressure washer websites.

As for washing your car, if you keep it waxed and washed regularly, you shouldn't need a pressure washer. Go get a Mr.Clean car wash kit. It actually works and you don't need to dry off your car.

Comment

Working...
                              X