Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

    New here -- searched for these problems and didn't find a hit. Apologies if I missed the obvious!

    Just bought the unit (build date 06/04/2008) at the orange big-box store to replace an 11-year-old machine that crapped out. The new machine worked great yesterday cleaning all the walkways and driveway. The house looks like new again.

    Noticed two issues with the unit:

    1. The red on/off switch does not seem to work -- the only way I could stop the engine was to use the choke.

    The on/off switch moves freely between the on and off positions, and has no effect on the engine. I would have thought that the switch would make some sort of positive contact in each position and stay there until someone moves the switch.

    Have any of you seen similar behavior? If so, what was the fix?

    The switch appears to be very easy to replace, and it may be easier to have Ridgid send a new one than to haul to the service center if you think this one is defective.

    2. The fuel valve also does not seem to have any effect. In trying to stop the engine, I used the fuel valve. The engine ran more than 60 seconds before I decided that it didn't seem to be working.

    If your unit is running, and you use the fuel switch to cut off the fuel supply, how long does your unit run before stopping?


    Of course, I still have nearly 90 days to return the unit for exchange, but would rather see if this one can be easily fixed.

    Thanks in advance for the advice!
    John

  • #2
    Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

    60 seconds with the fuel cut off turned off might actually be correct, especially if its an OHV engine (which I think it is.....they literally "sip" fuel).

    The switch should have an effect, yes. But it might be something as simple as a connector that got disconnected somehow. See if you can find any wires hanging off that have quick connect spades on them. Probably just need to be slipped back onto the correct terminal.

    -Chris

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

      Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
      60 seconds with the fuel cut off turned off might actually be correct, especially if its an OHV engine (which I think it is.....they literally "sip" fuel).

      The switch should have an effect, yes. But it might be something as simple as a connector that got disconnected somehow. See if you can find any wires hanging off that have quick connect spades on them. Probably just need to be slipped back onto the correct terminal.

      -Chris
      Thanks for both suggestions. I'll have to try the fuel cut off the next time I use the machine.

      For the on/off switch, I had checked the spade connectors, and they all appear to be very tight -- they did not pull apart easily, and I decided it was best not to test them too much. Always best to check the simple stuff first, right?
      John

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

        i have the same model pw and when i toggle the on/off switch with the engine off there is very little resistance but i can hear a click from the contacts? sounds like u may have a faulty switch. i also shut the fuel off when i'm through with the machine and although i haven't timed it, it seems that the machine runs for longer than a minute before it starts starving. i assume u have a ohc robin engine

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

          Originally posted by ironhed79 View Post
          i have the same model pw and when i toggle the on/off switch with the engine off there is very little resistance but i can hear a click from the contacts? sounds like u may have a faulty switch. i also shut the fuel off when i'm through with the machine and although i haven't timed it, it seems that the machine runs for longer than a minute before it starts starving. i assume u have a ohc robin engine
          Yes, it's the Robin OHC engine. When moving the switch there is absolutely no sound, no resistance between the on and off positions. Guess it's lucky that it's in the on position!!

          At this point, I'm betting that it's a faulty switch. I'll plan to call Ridgid tomorrow and see if they will just send the switch. Will be easier and cheaper on them (and me) if the will.
          John

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

            Others who had problems indicated customer service was very helpful. Please keep us informed of your experience with them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

              I recently used the washer and had a chance to observe the on/off switch more closely. The switch does have a low clicking sound from rotating it from on to off, so if your switch does not have some resistance it needs to be replaced.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                Originally posted by phils View Post
                I recently used the washer and had a chance to observe the on/off switch more closely. The switch does have a low clicking sound from rotating it from on to off, so if your switch does not have some resistance it needs to be replaced.
                Thanks -- it's very helpful. Mine has no resistance and no sound, so it appears to be defective. Also, I will post after talking to Customer Service. Had to leave on a business trip and just haven't had time to call them.
                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                  Use a multi-meter to check the continuity[diode setting] of the wires and switch operation. I have honda engines ,never had one fail but that is a simple part. Killing the engine with the choke will work but may foul the plug over time. I just had to repair a switch on my new DW712 SCMS , b/c there was grease on the contacts and the electric brake was not always working. You may be able to tighten the assembly or easily fix it if it is not broken.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                    Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                    Use a multi-meter to check the continuity[diode setting] of the wires and switch operation. I have honda engines ,never had one fail but that is a simple part. Killing the engine with the choke will work but may foul the plug over time. I just had to repair a switch on my new DW712 SCMS , b/c there was grease on the contacts and the electric brake was not always working. You may be able to tighten the assembly or easily fix it if it is not broken.
                    Thanks -- this switch is sealed on the bottom so I don't see a way to get into it without ruining it.
                    John

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                      OK, I called Ridgid Customer Service this afternoon. Very nice person who informed me that, much to my surprise, the Ridgid warranty does not cover the engine. It only covers the parts manufactured by Ridgid. She gave me the Subaru Robin number (1-800-277-6246) instead because the service center will not work on the engine, either.

                      I called Robin and they asked for some information which I will soon fax to them. They said they believe they will be able to send the switch.

                      If all else fails, then I will return the unit to Home Depot for a refund.

                      This experience is my first with Ridgid tools, but it has really soured the experience of what should be a fine product.
                      John

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                        There is only a two warranty on the Subaru engine, not three years. Please let us know how they respond to your problem. By the way Ridgid does not make the PW either they are made by another company called Techtronics.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                          That's the concern over the warranty -- I bought a pressure washer, not an engine, a pump, and a hose. So this type of warranty becomes an easy way for the assembler (in this case, Ridgid, but applies to anyone else) to absolve themselves of responsibility to support the product.
                          John

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                            I agree with you, unfortunately this situation happens all to offen, outsourcing is so common place today. I was in an Apple store yesterday and the salesman didn't know the laptops were made in China.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: New 33000 psi (RD80763) Pressure Washer -- 2 problems

                              JHarris,

                              I would recommend that you simply return it to HD. I know how experiences like this can sour our opinions toward an item or company....it has occurred many times to me.

                              Just a note of encouragement:

                              After spending years owning/renting several different pressure washers, I have found the Rigid 3300 to be far above all other models in many different ways.

                              It sounds like you got a lemon. Just return it and get a new one.

                              Rigid rocks! Esp. the 3300!

                              It's me,

                              Freddy

                              PS Please read my post at: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ressure+washer

                              Originally posted by jharris2 View Post
                              That's the concern over the warranty -- I bought a pressure washer, not an engine, a pump, and a hose. So this type of warranty becomes an easy way for the assembler (in this case, Ridgid, but applies to anyone else) to absolve themselves of responsibility to support the product.
                              Last edited by soarwitheagles; 07-16-2008, 12:06 AM. Reason: More Clarity
                              Don't squabble with the chickens
                              Instead, soar
                              with the eagles

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X