Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs chuck

Hello all,
    Can the sleeve on the d.i.y. chuck be removed.
    Thanks,
    wat.

Re: Jacobs chuck

I bought a small hammer drill SDS unit and ordered the chuck adaptor and bought a low cost Jacobs chuck and put it on the adaptor and tried it out, in the process it blew up the chuck so yes it can be removed, (it jsut disassembled the chuck), how to do it with using the method I used I really do not know, how to do it, it has been a long time ago and I do not remember how it went back together, but I bought a quality chuck and it held up on the hammer drill adaptor.

my be some of the links may help you,

http://www.beautifuliron.com/jacobs.htm

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=30078
    this link was in the one above
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ighlight=chuck
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Jacobs Chuck

Please post the info on the chuck such as a model number and more. Some of their chucks (more the industrial grade) are made so you can push the sleeve off the body for repair. The economy ones normally aren't worth the bother. You might be able to get the chuck to work better if you did try to work the sleeve all the way on. This is in case it isn't seated properly.

Comment

Thanks for reply BHD WOUSSKO.

Managed to remove sleeve. I have never encountered such a thin sleeve in
        40 years. Trouble was broken tooth.
        Will replace with Jacobs.
        Regards.
        wat.

Comment

Sorry people was not a JACOBS but a CHINESE chuck.

Comment

Thanks for reply BHD WOUSSKO.

Managed to remove sleeve. I have never encountered such a thin sleeve in
            40 years. Trouble was broken tooth.
            Will replace with Jacobs.
            Regards.
            wat.

Comment

Sorry people the chuck concerned was Chinese not Jacobs.
              wat.

Comment

Walter

What tool is this chuck on (Brand, Model etc.) and will you be using it hard or just for light duty? Jacobs and Rohm from Germany are both good chuck companies, but both also make different types and quality grades. For many DIYer tools and people the Jacobs light industrial keyed chucks work well. Also, I have a few sources for Rohm keyed drill chucks where you can some good $$$ over a Jacobs industrial and still have a fine quality chuck. There are some good ones made in Japan (not sure of the real brand) that Makita and Milwaukee use on some models.

Comment

Hello woussko,
                  The chuck is, SAN OU B16. It is from a cheap bench drill from B&Q.
                  Same as your E MART? Cost about £30 $60.
                  A few years back Model Engineers Workshop had an article on stripping this drill and rectifying the huge amount of play in the spindle. When my lathe is up and running again I intend to have a go at this one. In the meantime I will see what the cosmic supply co. can offer.
                  Regards Wat.

Comment

Or you could save up your $$$ and buy yourself a real serious drill. One with a very well machined spindle, all ball and needle bearings and quality machined gears. A nice German made drill that gets the job done and lasts a long time too.

http://www.metabo.us/Product-catalog...8506c87.0.html

Comment

Working...
                    X