Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Tile Saw Review

Ridgids WTS2000L 10" Wet Tile/Stone Saw

The blade that comes with it is decent enough, but I did go and buy some other ones too. My biggest and really only complaint has to be the wheels, they absolutely suck!!!!!

Ridgid, in your next Model, you better make them at least 6"s in diameter. I have used this saw on 4 jobs and racked up a total of around 92 hrs. Plus I did take it home and did some more cutting of bricks and stones.

Porcelain tiles would on occasion snap near the end, this would happen if the piece your cutting isn't held down tightly. Everything else cut pretty nicely.

Once again directly out of the box, the accuracy of cuts was dead on, I think this must have been pure luck, but in any case I had zero complaint in accuracy.

The rip/angle fence can be slightly difficult on the sliding action, however I fixed that problem and put on some paste wax. Works very good now, but it is still not a high quality type of fence. But I'm not complaining because it still does a great job.

The pan catcher does a darn good job of reducing the amount of water that can end up on the ground or floor.

The saw is fairly quiet vs other tile saws, this I was pleased about.

The cleaning of the saw, is pretty easy.

Weight of the machine is typical, I did not find it to be to bad, but the movability sucked because of the wheels. Clay/sandy/wet soft grass, is a pain in the a@@ to move this machine around, as well as going up stairs. If it had some sort of skid plate and not get hung up on the treads, I could manage it alright. But I really gotta tell everyone here, without a doubt the wheels is the worse feature.

Ridgid design teams, needs to take this saw and try to go up some stairs, or try to get it into the back of a trailer (w/no ramp). Also try to move it around in some soft ground.

The saw should also be able to stand up, when not in use. I did create a spot in my work trailer, so that this saw can stand up, which takes up a lot less room. So work on this feature too, Ridgid.

Plunge cutting is great as well as compound cuts. Certainly nice feature there.

Table top slide really nice, slides like butter, sweet!!!!

The stand when fully open is very secure, which I really liked that. Some of you might find it a hassle, because your spending to much time in setup. Not me though, I wanna see this machine secured and no collapsing can happen. My 12" slider miter chop saw, has collapsed on me at least 4 times, I thought it was fully set up, but I was wrong. Twice it collapsed on my hand, but I didn't get injured.... So I'm pleased to see a well secured setup.

Sound, vibration, workability, durability, design (but not the wheels) is all great. Not much more I can say about this. If anyone has any question, I can try to answer them for you. So thats it, if I can think of anything more, I'll add it on.

Oh one more thing for Ridgid design team, why do guys always have to put on a paddle switch or toggle style, I wanna see a foot switch on these machines.......

Rating 1 - 10, I will give the Ridgid an 8. Fix that damn wheels situation and I'll give you a 9 1/2, add a foot switch and you'll get a full 10 from me.....

Thanks for reading you all.......

Mark
    Last edited by garager; 07-06-2008, 10:35 AM.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: My Tile Saw Review

Thanks for the review, its always good to read what other people have experienced
    Free power tool website with free woodworking plans

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com

Comment

Originally posted by mannop125 View Post
      Thanks for the review, its always good to read what other people have experienced
      If only the design people would get in here and read this stuff once in a while AND THEN ACT ON IT they would have some really great tools.

Unfortunately if sales remain high the bean counters will say: "We don't need to improve the tool it sells just fine the way it is". And they may be right. But they would probably sell even more if they showed they were responsive to constructive customer feedback that benefits both parties and incorporated changes such as better wheels like garager has pointed out are so badly needed. Who knows? It may have started life with some nice 6" or 8" wheels. A set of wheels like on the MS-UV would probably work great. For that matter, I wonder why they did not just use either the MS-UV or Work-N-Haul it platforms instead of creating a totally new one which required new tooling, design time, parts sourcing, etc.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

To your point Bob D., the forum has been a great tool for the design types. I can't tell you how many meetings we've been in where we'll put a quote on a chart, reference a post or even pull up the forum on the spot. To this specifically, I've passed the thread to the tile saw product management team. Thanks to all for the posts here (especially garager for the detailed review.)

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
          To your point Bob D., the forum has been a great tool for the design types. I can't tell you how many meetings we've been in where we'll put a quote on a chart, reference a post or even pull up the forum on the spot. To this specifically, I've passed the thread to the tile saw product management team. Thanks to all for the posts here (especially garager for the detailed review.)
          I am glad to hear this. I think it's the first time I have heard that the suggestions offered up here by forum members get evaluated by the design and marketing groups. I know you and others from RIDGID do review the forums from time to time.

I realize it may not be possible for a variety of reasons to get into discussions on the forum with those do make suggestions for improvements.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Hey Proband, your Welcome....

I never did mention the laser light, works real good, I adjusted it to be dead on (which was real easy) and it hasn't got off the mark yet, so thats also cool. Bob you got em noticing and getting their feed back as well....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I've had it with those wheels. I am going to find the time or make the time to modify the wheels. When I do, I will post the pictures, it might be crude but it'll do the job.

If anyone else has modified the wheels, let me know what you did, so I may do the short cut version, "Yours".....

Comment

Good to hear your still happy with the saw. I have a large tile job comming up in 2 weeks, so, I am going to bite the bullet and buy this saw. I have had it with my saw.... makes me mad that I spent more on this Q-pro from my tile distributer than what the Ridgid costs, but the ridgid wasnt out for at least a year later... oh well.

Comment

Here was my fix for the wheels. It was an extra stand I already had. Other pic is my fix for the water. Before it just poured out from the cover. Now it sprays right at the cut. My hands and the tile don't get nearly as drenched now.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                    ProBrand - how about making a place on the saw to store the rear splash tray when the saw is folded up?

Also some sort of rear kick stand to be employed when it's folded so on could stand it up on the rear end for storage, right now I have the motor resting on a stack of 2x4's, just high enough so it tilts a little to the wall it's up against.

And better instructions on folding the table down, damn near broke my hand the first time when it folded up with my hand inside.
                    Last edited by Smack; 04-09-2009, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X