Drill Extension

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Extension

Is there a place where I can buy a drill extension that doesn't use allen set screws to hold in the drill bit. What I would like to fine an extension that the female end is a 6 sides hole for the drill bit to fit into. I'm using an extension to drill thru a 10" log and when is starts getting tough the extension spins on the drill, the 2 set screws can't hold the drill in tough situtaions. Thanks
    Rich Davis
    Last edited by dunoon; 07-07-2008, 06:13 AM. Reason: I forgot to say it's a 2" drill

Re: Drill Extension

how big is the hole? Have you considered an installers drill bit? they start at 18" long and are generally available in sizes between 1/4" and 1/2". How about a spade bit, they work well with the set screw extensions because the set screws hold on the flats of the hex spade bit shafts

Comment

depending on the size of hole, I have made extension withe a rod and threaded them and jsut put a chuck on the end of the rod,

also if your jsut doing one size, braze the extension on to the bit,

or get the installers bit as stated or aircraft bits there longer than normal.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by dunoon View Post
        Is there a place where I can buy a drill extension that doesn't use allen set screws to hold in the drill bit. What I would like to fine an extension that the female end is a 6 sides hole for the drill bit to fit into. I'm using an extension to drill thru a 10" log and when is starts getting tough the extension spins on the drill, the 2 set screws can't hold the drill in tough situtaions. Thanks
        Rich Davis
        Irwin makes 12" extensions that have a quick change hex shank that you can attach their spade bits to.

As someone else already mentioned, you can get an installers bit (auger bit with something like a 54" shaft, at least up to 72" shafts). This is more expensive and one size, but because it is an auger the screw on top will help pull through the tough parts instead of having to put more pressure on the drill.

Comment

Rich Davis
          The Irwin comes in a couple of different lengths and can later be used as an extension for the other hex sided bits and items presently on the market where you might also need/use an extension. Probably a wise money buy.

Comment

If you just need to drill a few holes in a log, you can get 16" length flat spade type bits. They are like the 6" ones but have longer shanks. IRWIN makes them as part of their Speedbor series. They come in sizes 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 and 1 inch.
            http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100158

And for anyone needing a shorter than normal flat spade type bit, IRWIN also makes some in a 4 inch length. More info here. They are handy for use in tight places with a little 3/8" capacity right angle drill or the super handy SIOUX mini T drill.
            http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100184

Here is info on the standard 6 inch version. These come in handy sets or by the piece.
            http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd100186

I've found having some popular sizes in both the 4" and 16" helps me get the tuff jobs done. They aren't for heavy duty use but then they don't cost all that much and these (when run a proper speed and pressure) will drill a pretty nice clean hole.
            Last edited by Woussko; 07-06-2008, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Rich Davis

Why don't you just grind a flat portion on on your drill bit shank (like a hole saw pilot drill), that way the hex screw wont allow the bit to spin in the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                Why don't you just grind a flat portion on on your drill bit shank (like a hole saw pilot drill), that way the hex screw wont allow the bit to spin in the extension.
                exactly. or you can tighten the set screws to mark the spot and drill a couple of pilot marks onto the shaft.

a 2'' self feeding bit is available from milwaukee and lennox. both come with 6 sided hex shanks with a ring slot to accept the quick change hex bit spring loaded chucks.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Depending on the size needed many types of wood bits currently come with hex shanks, even the flat spade bits come that way now. No more slipping...none The extensions have a hex socket and drive end. What's the big deal with using the proper size Allen (hex key) wrench to tighten set screws? I do that all the time. Get yourself a nice little multi-size fold-up set. Please see picture below. These are just too handy not to have and in both fractional inch and metric.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Woussko; 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X