Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any novel uses for a small shop compressor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Have any novel uses for a small shop compressor?

I use mine to blow on/off golf grips.

Comment

I'm sure nothing is unique, but in addition to all the usual stuff (tires, nailers, finishing, etc.) I also use mine for blowing out the paint brushes after they've been cleaned, and for my air brush.

CWS

Comment

How about a spud or pumpkin cannon?

Oh wait, you're gonna need a slightly bigger compressor I think.
        http://www.ddvf.com/2004chunk/DDVF_Montage.wmv
        http://www.punkinchunkin.com/images/...art1/index.htm

But not like this one.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpAJOPzKK-M
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Have to give a quick response to that because I need to get to HD and the grocery store. Wooow
          Jim

Comment

Here is something kind of fun. Get a 24" x 1/2 iron nipple and a 1/2 to 1/4 reducing coupling and then a 1/4 short nipple. Rig yourself up a mini air canon and fire un-popped corn kernels with it. It's one way to blast away little rodents or a pesto dog and not normally harm it. Aim for butt. Works fun with pesty people too and again aim for butt or legs. Never aim at face. Please don't.

Actually just a good air blast will normally scare off the pesty dog or rodent.

On the more serious side look into getting a little 1/4" chuck air powered high speed drill. They come in really handy for blasting 1/8" or 3/16" holes through wood. I'll post a link for one here soon. I really like the one I have. Chuck is inline with tubular body. A cool and fun tool to have. You may need to add on an external 10 gallon or so air tank if you want to use it much but I would try it as you're setup now first. Lucky me has a serious 3 HP compressor with 30 gallon tank. It's stationary but it also makes some good air. Long story....
            Last edited by Woussko; 07-08-2008, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Woussko,
              That air powered drill sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Corn kernels would definitely be gentler than potatoes.
              Jim

Comment

I built a venturi vacuum w/ a reducing tee, 3/4" or 1" & 1/2" pipe.

I used it to vacuum out wood crumbs from the corners inside kitchen cabinets when I install them. It saves from bringing a vac with you on every job & it's better than picking-out the corners with a screwdriver.
                http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

Originally posted by savant View Post
                  I built a venturi vacuum w/ a reducing tee, 3/4" or 1" & 1/2" pipe.

I used it to vacuum out wood crumbs from the corners inside kitchen cabinets when I install them. It saves from bringing a vac with you on every job & it's better than picking-out the corners with a screwdriver.
                  That sounds really cool, and certainly novel. Can you post a picture or diagram of one?

Comment

Originally posted by Nolan Taylor View Post
                    I use mine to blow on/off golf grips.
                    Along this line, they work great for removing stock rubber grips from motorcycle and atv handlebars.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      That sounds really cool, and certainly novel. Can you post a picture or diagram of one?
                      Sure. It's just pipe, and an air fitting. I even found a zippered dust bag & snapped it on the back end to catch the dust.

Comment

Here we are: I just used some scrap copper to demonstrate the assembly. To get the 1/2" pipe to fit so as to extend halfway down the 3/4" pipe you need to ream out the tee, to eliminate the stop. You also need to sweat the whole thing together, otherwise the air fitting will just pop out.

The 1/2" pipe is to be positioned so that it does not touch the 3/4" pipe on any side. This way, the propellant air will be a continuous sheet surrounding the 1/2" pipe, which gives you the maximum efficiency possible with this setup. Because you use 3/4" pipe, the propellant air maintains a high-pressure up until the moment it reaches the edge of the 1/2" pipe. The length of the 3/4" pipe serves to straighten the propellant air, and allow it to build inertia. In my usage, with an unlimited 100psi. air supply, this vacuum is strong enough to suck up just about anything that will fit in a 1/2" pipe.

Comment

Working...
                        X