X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Junk

In response to some of the questions asked and comments made about the various tools in this forum. I have owned one "RIDGID" tool and it became one of the worst pieces of equipment, I am ashamed to say, that I have ever purchased. When I contacted the customer service department, their response was "yeah what da ya want us to do about it". According to the person in customer service based on the serial numbers the tool was almost five years old and any repairs made to it I would have to pay for. I tried repeatedly to explain to her that I had just recently purchased the tool a few months ago at my local Home Depot. She still insisted that I would have to pay for any repairs made to the tool. In this modern day and age of inventory control especially for such large companies as RIDGID or Home Depot you wouldn't think that Home Depot would keep an item in inventory for over four years and then sell it to unsuspecting customers as brand new. When I went back to the Home Depot that I purchased it from the manager there simply responded "Yeah well it's to old and we won't take it back and you will have to pay to have it repaired". I told her, Mam I have only used this tool four times, and I pulled it out of the box with all the original packaging and showed her that it looked still new. She still insist that they won't take it back. I write this to tell others of the problems I have had and to think before they purchase the RIDGID products. There are better brands available and sometimes at better prices and a lot better customer service.

Re: Ridgid Junk

Sorry about your troubles with your Ridgid tool.

What is the tool and how is it broken?

Sounds to me like you got a bad service phone rep.
    If it were me I would call back today and hope for better results.
    If I was told the same thing the second time, I would insist talking
    to a service manager or supervisor. They should be going by the date
    the product was registered .... not the manufactured date.

The only way this could be right is if the damage to the tool was due
    to abuse.

Comment

Something is missing here. You claim you bought this tool a few months ago and H.D. wouldn't honor your return, sounds like a missing purchase receipt. You also apparently didn't warranty your tool with Ridgid, this would also state when you purchased the tool...

Sorry for your troubles, go back to H.D. w/your receipt and demand some attention with your issue, 90 days satisfaction guarantee they say.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
        Something is missing here. You claim you bought this tool a few months ago and H.D. wouldn't honor your return, sounds like a missing purchase receipt. You also apparently didn't warranty your tool with Ridgid, this would also state when you purchased the tool...

Sorry for your troubles, go back to H.D. w/your receipt and demand some attention with your issue, 90 days satisfaction guarantee they say.....
        garager ...I agree something is missing...

relester99 ..If you don't have your receipt and paid with a credit card
        HD will be able to pull a copy of the receipt from their records.

Comment

I'll chime in with the Garager and DaveT, the whole key to getting any kind of satisfaction, is to have your receipt. No receipt, no service, as there's no proof as to how or when you acquired the tool, regardless of how nice it may look.

Overall, Ridgid has it's share of problems for sure, but they do make some very good tools and their warranty is quite competitive.

As mentioned, if you have lost your receipt, you can get a new copy if you can pin down the exact date of purchase and the store from which the purchase was made. Home Depot's headquarters in Atlanta keeps a computer file on every purchase made.

I understand your frustration, and hope you can get this worked out to your satisfaction.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
            relester99 ..If you don't have your receipt and paid with a credit card
            HD will be able to pull a copy of the receipt from their records.
            Or just contact the issuer of the credit card (normally a large well know bank) and have them send statements to you. I can look up my VISA cards online from my bank for several months and print out what I need. That would be pretty good proof to take to HD and howl at them with.

I do think there's more to this. Also, what is the tool model and basic description?

Comment

Most of the regulars here can sense that there's more to this situation that isn't being told. Home Depot is one of the easiest places to make returns if done so within their stated policy and with a receipt. Generally their merchandise is pretty "fresh", but occaisionally they'll pull something off the upper bins that might be a little old or was a display item that has an older manufactured date, but in most cases they'll discount it or the computer has already done so. It must be really old for customer service to nix sending parts as I have purchased display or closeouts and they've always made them good. Sorry to hear that he's having a problem, but as already has been stated, there's a lot left unsaid about this transaction.

Comment

I'm sorry if I was to vague about the tool. To be more specific the tool is the EB4424 oscillating edge belt/spindle sander. It was purchased in Houston at the Home Depot #0584, located at 6800 W. Sam Houston Parkway South on August 13, 2007. I can give you the sales receipt number as I have the receipt here in front of me but I don't think that it is neccessary to go into that much detail. The receipt clearly states there is a 90 day return policy as the store manager quickly pointed out to me. I did not experience any problems with the machine until the end of january or first of February but I doubt that I had used it more than a couple of times. Unfortunately I did not register the tool with Ridgid when I purchased it. In all honesty I really did not know that I had too. I have always purchased top of the line tools like Porter Cable, Milwaukee and Delta. I have never registered any of those tools, I never had too! I never had a problem, and if I did it was after years of use, and it needed new brushes or a new cord. I am a professional furniture maker. I have made my living for many years with these tools. I have never written about anything on the internet, that is not my way and judging from the comments that I have been reading I made another mistake by posting my experiences with Home Depot and RIDGID. Good Luck!

p.s. Home Depot did issue a store credit for the amount of the purchase after the receiving clerk admitted that he had two more of the same machines in the back that he had gotten RA's (Return Authorization) for. It has taken 5 months to get to this point.

Comment

what is the tool failure?
                  I have one almost two years and not a hiccup!
                  I have found the unit to be reliable and functional.

Cactus Man

Comment

Relester99,

Don't go away my friend, I don't think anyone here thinks ill of your post at all... they just brought to your attention the "issues" that exist with getting service.

By your original post, I made the interpretation (wrongly so) that you have had this tool for some time, and that simply isn't the case. You are still under warranty and repairs should be made with no questions asked, as long as you can present a copy of the receipt. The warranty on your tool is three years from date of purchase. Home Depot stores do not normally handle anything beyond the 90-day return policy, but I do believe you mentioned that it was the service center that gave you a tough time, based on the fact that the serial number of the unit showed that it was "older than 3-years". In your case, you have the receipt and presentation of a copy of that should be all that is required.

Our comments regarding registration were meant to point out that with the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, you would have free service access for life (again, we were probably under the impression that you've had this unit for longer than the warranty, even though you used it only a few times). The "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement" provides free service and replacement of almost any worn or broken part of the machine. It is only available with registration (again, that registration is free) and with out registration, you are limited to the normal 3-year warranty period.

So, make a run at the service center again, with a copy of your receipt, and if the clerk challenges you, speak to the manager, and then call Ridgid if necessary. You are still covered by the warranty.

Also, make an effort to register the tool... at this point you are probably out of luck as you normally have to register within 90-days of purchase. But, I understand that some leniency has been occasionaly exercized. Problem at this point however would be that you probably no longer have the bar code from the original box... still, you could give customer service a call.

Again, don't take our initial reactions as negative. This forum is outstanding in its fellowship and I'm sure if your first post hadn't been negative and somewhat vague, you would have seen a much friendlier and open response. Many of us are very happy with our Ridgid tools and there are occasions when someone just jumps in here to flame Ridgid for no real purpose. Like any group of fans, we realize our team isn't without its faults, but we readily call to muster when an attack appears to be made without clarity.

So I welcome you to the forum and hope that you join us. Your work sounds interesting and I'm sure you'll find a large number of members sincerely interested and supportive. Take another shot at getting your service situation straightened out and we'll look forward to hearing of your success. We do have a couple of great Ridgid guys on here and they are active participants that have come to our aid on many occasions.

Welcome and I wish you success in resolving your problem,

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 07-09-2008, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X