X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail gun question

Just stumbled across this forum and have now spent the last hour browsing around. I have a nail gun question. let me start off by saying I don't really have any experience with these other than using a roofing gun a few times. I recently built a patio cover, more of an arbor really, for a neighbor. Another neighbor saw it and would like me to do one for them as well. Needless to say, I now have three of these lined up. For the top, I nail in 1x2 slats into 2x4's. Did this by hand the first time, don't want to anymore. What would be the minimum size gun/compressor that I could use? Probably won't do many more of the covers so don't want to spend a ton. I just know I don't want to use a hammer that much ever again in my life! Sorry for the longwinded post, any info is appreciated.

Re: Nail gun question

Originally posted by kohoward View Post
    Just stumbled across this forum and have now spent the last hour browsing around. I have a nail gun question. let me start off by saying I don't really have any experience with these other than using a roofing gun a few times. I recently built a patio cover, more of an arbor really, for a neighbor. Another neighbor saw it and would like me to do one for them as well. Needless to say, I now have three of these lined up. For the top, I nail in 1x2 slats into 2x4's. Did this by hand the first time, don't want to anymore. What would be the minimum size gun/compressor that I could use? Probably won't do many more of the covers so don't want to spend a ton. I just know I don't want to use a hammer that much ever again in my life! Sorry for the longwinded post, any info is appreciated.
    Any compressor you get should be OK, since a nail gun is used pretty intermittently. For securing 1x2 slats (which I am assuming aren't really structural but more just to keep the sun out), I think a 15 gauge finish nailer should be OK.

The stainless steel nails for outdoor use can be pretty spendy (galvanized are cheaper, but can leave streaks on the wood). I spent like $30 for 1000 or something like that at a local store, but didn't shop around. You might be able to get them cheaper elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the 1x2 slats are only for partial shade. I'm not to worried about using the galvanized nails, they will be on top of the cover so nobody will see them if they streak. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Comment

Kohoward,

Welcome to the Ridgid forum. This is a great place, with lots of great information and good amount of friendship. Plan on sticking around, even after your project. It's always great to have a new member and share experience.

Regarding your project and request for a compressor and nailer: If all your intent is to power a nailer, almost any compressor will suffice. There are plenty of offerings on the market ranging from $100 to $300 plus. Some come with both compressor and nailers in the $300 range. (Porter Cable has a great set of three nailers w/ a pancake-style compressor for around $330 I belive).

If you're looking for something for less, Craftsman has a small compressor w/single nailer for about $130. I can't speak for it's quality though.

I have a Ridgid 16 gauge nailer which I love... not sure but the price is around $150 I believe. Also, I recently purchased a Craftsman 2-gal lubricated compressor for $99. It's regularly $120, but it may still be on sale for the $99. This little compressor weighs about 30 lbs, runs on a regular 15 amp circuit, and it's a bit quieter than the oil-less pancake-style units.

So, check out a few things and find the unit that looks best to you and fits your budget.

Welcome to the forum,

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by kohoward View Post
          Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the 1x2 slats are only for partial shade. I'm not to worried about using the galvanized nails, they will be on top of the cover so nobody will see them if they streak. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Use the galvanized, not much more and the will last much longer and I prefer ringshank to avoid nails popping later and the rust also will destroy the exposed nail over time.
          If you are painting too, use a good metal primer in a can and spot spray each nail head to further protect them, no paint brush and oilbased is much better than latex metal primers on metals. ORCO supply has a good selection of USA produced nails in their label and they are less expensive than other brands.
          I use a 7/16" cr. staples for thinner materials as they hold better, hide better are galvanized and will not split the wood as easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            I use a 7/16" cr. staples for thinner materials as they hold better, hide better are galvanized and will not split the wood as easily.
            I have my choice of 5 nailers and would probably also choose my stapler for this application, though mine is the 1/4"cr ridgid. My favorite gun. But what you should consider is if you plan on ever doing more projects and what type of projects they will be. You would be fine with almost any gauge of finish nailer for this job, 15, 16, 18 or a stapler, but your next project may actually have more particular preference.

You want to use it for lighter (non structural) construction you might be better off with the lower gauge, but if you have some trim work or delicate hobby work in your future go with the higher gauge less intrusive pins.

For brands of nailers I can tell you that around here you wont find many advocating off brand bargains like Harbor Freight and such, but really, if you never see yourself using the compressor and nailer again you would probably get the best value for your dollar by going this route.

I know, I know, friends don't let friends shop at HF, but I had and used a super cheap pancake compressor and brad nailer combo for a good year and a half when I started out doing window replacement. The compressor was heavy, noisy, leaky and ugly. The nailer would jam every few hundred nails and need to be cleared (and eventually fell apart completely) but it worked with me when my budget wasn't so cooperative.

HOWEVER, if you think you will use it at all in the future and you like to spend a little more for quality you should also check out this set at Costco, http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...lang=en-US&s=1. It has a combo stapler/nailer that most pros would stay away from in favor of dedicated guns, but you may be just the candidate to make the best use of it. And just for the record, this is the brand that I was speaking about being cheaply made and falling apart after several years, so I wouldn't recommend it for heavy use. For another step up in grade the Porter Cable or Senco sets are very good, as stated before.

And lastly, and really this is not just to plug Ridgid on a Ridgid forum, I truly love my Ridgid air tools. As a pro I use all brands of tools but have become so impressed with Ridgid in this catagory that I will choose them first every time in pneumatic nailers, hoses and compressors if I have the choice.

Happy shopping and good for you for getting jobs falling into your lap that way! You should be pretty proud to have em knocking down your door just based on what they have seen you can do!

Eli
            Last edited by woodenstickers; 07-12-2008, 02:45 PM.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
              For brands of nailers I can tell you that around here you wont find many advocating off brand bargains like Harbor Freight and such, but really, if you never see yourself using the compressor and nailer again you would probably get the best value for your dollar by going this route.

I know, I know, friends don't let friends shop at HF, but I had and used a super cheap pancake compressor and brad nailer combo for a good year and a half when I started out doing window replacement. The compressor was heavy, noisy, leaky and ugly. The nailer would jam every few hundred nails and need to be cleared (and eventually fell apart completely) but it worked with me when my budget wasn't so cooperative.
              I haven't use the HF nailer, but Tom Hintz has a review on his site and he was very unhappy with it because it wouldn't drive to a consistent depth. It probably doesn't matter for this application; but if you want to do any trim work I would imagine that would get you really frustrated.

I'm personally very happy with my Senco 15 ga angled nailer. I've used it for building some furniture, a sandbox, and some closet shelving. It hasn't jammed yet, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                I haven't use the HF nailer, but Tom Hintz has a review on his site and he was very unhappy with it because it wouldn't drive to a consistent depth. It probably doesn't matter for this application; but if you want to do any trim work I would imagine that would get you really frustrated.

I'm personally very happy with my Senco 15 ga angled nailer. I've used it for building some furniture, a sandbox, and some closet shelving. It hasn't jammed yet, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.
                No doubt, you get what you pay for. In your case you know you will be doing projects in the future and probably fairly ambitions ones at that, so it makes sense to go for quality. For a set that will get very limited use though, the price point of the better sets may not be good value in the end if it will sit idle after this project.

I now have 3 compressors, a Hitachi framing nailer, senco 23g pin nailer, Ridgid 1/4"cr stapler, Ridgid 18g brad nailer, Ridgid 16g angled finish nailer, and the old CH brad nailer that fell apart as well as memories of my "borrowed" passload 16g airless.

All have been good to me, even the craptacular CH did what I needed it to do for the price and time.

BTW I forgot to add in my initial looong response that I give another vote for galvanized fasteners, visible or not.

Eli
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Working...
                X