Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 Buy or no Buy

I'm looking for a little advice.

I may have an opportunity to get a brand new TS3650 still in the (opened) box but it is missing Box 2 and the miter gauge.

How much would be a fair price to pay considering the missing items? Would it be possible to get Box 2 from Ridgid? Should I even consider buying? How do I tell from the serial number when it was made to see if it may have the bad arbor? Etc, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Re: TS3650 Buy or no Buy

Originally posted by BobR View Post

I may have an opportunity to get a brand new TS3650 still in the (opened) box but it is missing Box 2 and the miter gauge.

How much would be a fair price to pay considering the missing items? Would it be possible to get Box 2 from Ridgid? Should I even consider buying? How do I tell from the serial number when it was made to see if it may have the bad arbor? Etc, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
    You can probably get them from RIDGID parts, but I am not sure you would want to (i.e. there are other fence/miter guage options). Unless you already know want an expensive aftermarket fence or miter gauge, I would probably look for a different saw. Either way, if you do get this saw, I would make sure that you get a large discount compared to other used ones on eBay/Craigslist; because you can't use the saw w/o a fence and miter gauge. And if you don't want an aftermarket, the best bang for your buck is probably to get a TS3650 or TS3660 with all the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by BobR View Post

Thanks for your help.

Bob
      You don't say so I will ask, are you buying this from a Home Depot store or other authorized retail store? If yes then I don't see why they can't get you the rails. I wouldn't worry too much about the miter gage, it's on par with most of the stock miter gages, but nothing to write home about. But the rails are what you want, the 3650 rail system is a good design. There are others that are better yes but for the price they are very good.

If you could get the TS for $300 +/- $25, I'd say that would be a fair price for both parties...IF the rest of the TS is there are in new condition. The TS4650 was going for roughly $450 when it was discontinued for the newer 3660. BTW, the 3660 rails would probably fit just fine, I don't think anything changed as far as how the rails mount on the TS.

There are a number of choices for a rail and fence system if you choose not to go with the RIDGID system. The RIDGID Fence comes in Box #1 IIRC, so you could sell that and recoup some cash toward whatever you pick.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Bob D

It was at a Home Depot. I used to work at this one part-time in the tool rental. I went in on Saturday to the tool rental to say hi and they were going to put the saw together without the rails. I offered $150 for the saw as it was. I was not concerned about the miter gauge not being there because I have an Incra V27 that is really nice (compared to the stock gauge). They were going to check to see if the store wanted to sell it for that or not. As yet, I have not heard back from them. It's probably safe to assume they didn't like the offer. I don't think the store has anymore of the 3650 just the 3660.

Do you guys know about finding out the age based on serial number?

Bob R

Comment

I don't know if the s/n has a date code in it or if there is any other positive way to tell the manufacture date, but there must be a way . Back when the arbor issue first popped up it was asked here a couple times but I don't think we ever got anything from RIDGID or anyone figured it out.

There might be some date related info on the box, give it a look see.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

If I remember right box 2 contained the rails not the miter gauge. You can get them from Ridgidparts.com. I like my saw tremendously. Hell for $150 I would buy it.

Comment

Personally, if I could not get a discount to equal getting a good fence and acceptable miter gauge, I would opt for a new saw as opposed to that one. That said, you may be able to find a Ridgid fence for sale cheap that someone has replaced with a Bessy or Bessy knock-off.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

If you can get the saw for $150.00, I wouldn't hesitate.

Mark
                Mark

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'll check into it further and keep you posted.

Bob R

Comment

There is a date code built into most of the serial numbers that tell what year and what week of that year it was built. If it is something like G0704 xxxxx
                    then that means it was builit in the 4th week of 2007.
                    I'll try to check my display tonight at work and verify that the date code is in the s/n.
                    sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

You can get a whole aftermarket fence upgrade for $150, so even $200-$250 would be pretty reasonable for just the saw, wings, motor, and base. The Delta T2 fence is awefully nice for $150...you might even find someone selling a Biesemeyer fence.

Comment

Harley130,

The serial started with 077. So i'm assuming this means July of '07. I'll have to research the arbor issue on the forum. Made this recent, I don't think it had the arbor issue.

I also called the department head for hardware and they are supposed to get back to me to let me know the lowest they could sell it for. Haven't heard anything yet!

Bob R

Comment

Hi Guys,

I got a phone call last night and was offered the saw for $200. It's just missing the miter gauge and box 2 containing the rails.

Seems like a great deal to me.

What do you think?

Bob R

Comment

I agree, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me also.
                            ================================================== ====
                            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Buy it and just spend an exta 150 on the delta fence mentioned above. For $350 you are going to have one he77 of a good tablesaw!

Comment

Working...
                              X