Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID 1.8 HP Running, 4.5 Gallon Oil Free Air Compressor

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100009532

I want to buy this from someone for $150 but I wanted to know if I can run an impact or air ratchet with it. Mainly for rotating tires and some engine work. I was told that it would not put out the air needed for a impact. Just wanted to get some thoughts.

Re: RIDGID 1.8 HP Running, 4.5 Gallon Oil Free Air Compressor

I am new to this site so please let me know if this is the wrong location.

Comment

Jmitch,

It may be borderline... I'm not sure what the actual requirement of your particular tools are.

But for example, looking in the Craftsman catalog, a 3/8-ratchet or impact driver typically takes between 4 and 5-1/2 scfm at 90 psi, depending on the tool's model. If you move up to a 1/2- or 3/4-inch, the cfm requirements almost double.

The compressor that you mention puts out a maximum of 4.9 scfm with only a 4-gallon tank. So, at very best the compressor would do the trick if your particular tool was on the low end of the consumption required.

But even then, your tank is so small that you would have NO reserve air and the compressor would trip on immediately and run for whatever time you hold the trigger down... plus some, as it tries to replenish the tank. If you were trying to swap out four tires with four lug-nuts each, that little compressor is going to come on and run the whole time you're at task and you'd be running at the absolute maximum of the compressor's ability.

The same compressor with a much larger tank would give you some reserve air which would be helpful. But even then, a long "trigger-pull" would eat up the reserve within seconds and cause the compressor to turn-on.

I see no mention in the specs as to the "duty cycle" of the unit. Like many small compressors of this type, it may only be 50%, which means you can run this a maximum of 30 minutes every hour.

Bottom line, if you're going to be using these particular tools a lot, (servicing tires or whatever,) I think I'd look at a larger unit... especially tank-size and with at least 2 HP or better compressor. Best thing it to check the SCFM output at 90 PSI and go with something in the 7 to 10 range.

So specification-wise, I'd say that this particular compressor would have to really work hard to meet your demands. If you're a "Saturday mechanic" and want to swap out the "Winters" for the "Summers", you'd probably be okay. But anything more than that would probably be disappointing, IMHO.

Welcome to the forum and I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Having used a good 1/2" impact wrench and a much larger air compressor, I would not buy that one. If what you really want is to have an impact wrench for tire and other automotive work and not end up spending big $$$ how about looking into an electric corded one? I can tell you right off that the oil free models from Ridgid and most others are light duty and are direct drive meaning a very high speed compressor. This means MEGA NOISE from it. If you want air for many uses including tire inflating you would be far better off to (A) get a bigger tank and (B) get a machine with an oil lube slower speed compressor. Yes, it costs more and it's big and heavy but in the long run it will pay off. I can also assure you that while it may say 1.8 HP that's an inflated motor rating. It's the absolute max the motor can put out for a 5 second long test. Now if you need something small, light weight and portable and you can get it in really good condition for $150 it may be worth it.

Is this the model you have in mind?
        http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/OIL-FREE...R/EN/index.htm

If yes, that would run all out when you pull the trigger on an impact wrench. You really won't have enough air. Also please don't waste your money on a cheapo impact wrench. You want a name brand one, good air tool oil for it and by all means real impact sockets made in North America with a known brand name on them. Anything less is asking to have a socket shatter and you get hurt. Really

I'll pass along a good hint to anyone that needs to change tires now and then. If $$$ is an issue, look into a good proper size opening (metric and fractional inch are NOT the same even if it seems close) Cross Bar Wrench. Serious auto parts stores sell them. They can be the best friend you'll ever own and especially for out along the road when you have an emergency come along.

Comment

fwiw, i have a small bostich/stanley compressor not much larger than the ridgid shown. it does whatever i ask of it. framing nailer, impact wrench and air ratchet run without incident. granted, the IW and AR run ahead of the compressor from timt to time, but if you are not in a hurry, it gets the job done. i've seen the subject ridgid compressor at HD and it looks like a solid little unit.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
          X