X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which table saw?

looks like i'm going to have some serious upcomming projects here at the house and will need a portable table saw. and recommendations? what to stay away from? features? any imput is appreciated.

thanks

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Re: which table saw?

Sounds like the Ridgid ts2400 would fill your need.
    If I remember right the new version is the ts 2410.

I have had one for several years and it is one of the best tool investments Ive ever made.
    Nice large table as portable saws go, I love the fence and the micro adjust knob, I also like
    the tee slots for the miter gauge, and the quick remove blade guard.
    The cart is really nice also, mine is steady as a rock.
    Last edited by Davet; 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the non-answer to your question but a little more information could make a big difference in whether or not you end up happy with your purchase. What type of projects will you be doing? There are many things that a portable table saw can do well but there is also the other side of that coin.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a Dewalt DW744X. It has been very reliable and pretty accurate.
        The feature I love the best about this saw is that the fence always stays parallel to the blade, meaning you don't have to keep checking it with your tape measure. I believe it is called a rack & pinion system.

For a portable table saw, I really like it. I have built numerous projects with it. These are the two latest.

New floating floor & sliding patio door, I did for a friend.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

BadgerDave, for starters i'll be redecking a 40x13 deck and redoing a bench seat that runs the length of it. on the books is a couple of storage sheds that will go under the deck so we can store tools anf stuff down there and clear out the workroom from being a storage area itself. after storm season i'll attempt to tackle the entire outer deck. possibly from the ground up. i almost forgot i need to rip a bunch of 1 1/4x 1 1/4 battens for the deck overhead to keep the sunscreen from blowing away.

and i totally suck wuith a circular saw. never been good with one and can't see my self improving.

i did look at the DeWalt 744 & 745. but my search has just begun.

Tyman, beautiful work. i'm jealous. heck i can saw a board twice and it still be too short.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Sounds like you are more in the market for a miter saw. Either that or you will need to learn how to use that circular saw for the deck and storage shed projects. With the exception of ripping the boards, a TS will not be much help with those projects.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

stxrus, I'm with Gofor on this one. A sliding compound miter saw will do most of what you want for those projects. My thinking in my first response was that if you were going to do some furniture making that a contractor or hybrid saw might be a better choice than a jobsite saw. The larger table and rip capacity those saws offer would be a better choice for furniture and cabinet types of projects.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                BadgerDave, for starters i'll be redecking a 40x13 deck and redoing a bench seat that runs the length of it. on the books is a couple of storage sheds that will go under the deck so we can store tools anf stuff down there and clear out the workroom from being a storage area itself. after storm season i'll attempt to tackle the entire outer deck. possibly from the ground up. i almost forgot i need to rip a bunch of 1 1/4x 1 1/4 battens for the deck overhead to keep the sunscreen from blowing away.

and i totally suck wuith a circular saw. never been good with one and can't see my self improving.

i did look at the DeWalt 744 & 745. but my search has just begun.

Tyman, beautiful work. i'm jealous. heck i can saw a board twice and it still be too short.

steve
                I think a Mitre saw would help more for the deck and shed. I agree with you that ripping things with a circ saw would be no fun; and would get a $100 TS from the borg if you aren't planning on doing any furniture or the like, but would only use it for ripping; crosscutting on something like that is no fun at all.

Comment

Working...
                X