Ridgid 18v R86006 Drill fire hazard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18v R86006 Drill fire hazard

My father's drill, just purchased in March was running low on battery. He was on site at a customers house and plugged the charger in, inserted the battery and left it to charge on the customer's dryer (which was off and had not been used all day). When he came back 3 hours later, there were flames shooting from the battery 6-8 inches in the air.
    He's called Ridgid 3 times & e-mailed once and nothing has been addressed. DO NOT BUY THIS UNTIL THIS IS ADDRESSED. This could have cost him his house or his life.

Re: Ridgid 18v R86006 Drill fire hazard

Originally posted by Jaerin79 View Post
    My father's drill, just purchased in March was running low on battery. He was on site at a customers house and plugged the charger in, inserted the battery and left it to charge on the customer's dryer (which was off and had not been used all day). When he came back 3 hours later, there were flames shooting from the battery 6-8 inches in the air.
    He's called Ridgid 3 times & e-mailed once and nothing has been addressed. DO NOT BUY THIS UNTIL THIS IS ADDRESSED. This could have cost him his house or his life.
    Welcome to the forum. A battery/charger that catches fire is a scary situation.
    When did the fire occur?
    The model number you provide indicates a 18V LI compact drill. Is that correct?
    Was the battery a 18V LI?
    Was it a 1.5Ah or 3Ah?
    What model charger was it? ( model # from plate on charger)
    When did he call Ridgid?
    When did he e-mail?
    Have they responded to the email?
    Have they suggested anything?
    Has he taken the charger/battery to a Ridgid service center?..........and if he did what was their response?
    Last edited by roadrashray; 07-18-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Jaerin79, can you Private Message your phone number or email address? I'd like to learn more about this event. Thanks.

Comment

I have this drill and so far have not had a problem with the drill nor the charger. I have left the charger plugged in all day by accident and that was in the sun. I try not to do it but it happens once in awhile.

I was reading on a battery rebuild site about leaving batteries on chargers unattended and they said you should never leave one that way. Don't know if they were talking about their rebuild stuff or any of them.

It is not realistic to watch your battery charge while you are working so I guess the next best thing would be to charge outside or have a surge protector on it. I will however keep this in the back of my mind.

shup

Comment

Since my post, Ridgid has contacted my father and began to make good on the situation. They called him and are taking appropriate action to investigate the cause of the fire, and are replacing the batteries and charger. I do commend the safety department for promptly addressing the situation once it came to their attention.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
            Jaerin79, can you Private Message your phone number or email address? I'd like to learn more about this event. Thanks.
            ProBrand........When you receive a report on the cause of the fire please share it with us on this forum. We probably have 10 Ridgid chargers which are left unattended on a regular basis while charging.
            I'm very interested in knowing what caused this fire and determining if it could have been avoided somehow. Actually I'm hoping to find out it was caused by something other than the equipment.
            Thanks....Ray

Comment

Working...
            X