X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander

I bought 2 ridgid 1/4 sheet sanders from Home Depot about 8 months ago, both of them broke most of the leg (P/N 28) at the same time. I called Ridgid customer service for procedure in getting warranty repair and I was told that there is only one service center here in San Diego and that is "TOOL DEPOT". In tool depot, the service person told me that p/n#28 are normal wear and tera part and is not covered by the warranty. HOW CAN AN INTEGRAL PART OF A TOOL BE A NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR PART I exclaimed, and with an attitude he handed me repair tickets and said we'll call you. It's been over a week and no call. I considered this tool lost and will never buy another Ridgid again...

Re: Ridgid 1/4 sheet sander

Fuego,

If you have your 1/4 sheet sander (or any Ridgid woodworking power tool) registered for the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, parts that are subject to normal "wear and tear" are alledgedly covered.

If you're under the 3-yearf warranty, and the part is broken already, I would certainly make the argument that the part is defective.

I've had my 1/4-sheet for over four years now, and though not used commercially, I would certainly say I've used it a lot. I've never broke anything on the sander and it still works as good as new.

Sorry for you problem, but take into consideration that the repair center probably had to order the part... hopefully it won't be long before you are called to pick it up. I'd certainly make the above arguments and even call Ridgid customer support if the repair center trys to charge you!

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

CWS

Comment

I agree with CW that the part should probably be covered under warranty. I would send an email to Ridgid customer service explaining the situation and asking for a decision from them.........or......I would go to or call the pro desk at Home Depot and ask for the name and phone number for the Ridgid tool rep in the San Diego area and give him a call and explain the situation to him and ask for help.......or......I would call and ask the status on the parts. If they don't have a ship date or I would pick them up and ship them back to Ridgid for repair.
      Don't give up. Ridgid wants to do the right thing. Give them a chance.

Comment

Just in case you end up needing or wanting another good 1/4 sheet orbital sander try to find a Porter-Cable #330. I really think you'll love it. Mine has been a real gem of a tool.

Comment

thanks for all the input. Just like Woussko said, I bought the PC 330 and it is a charmer, twice the price but now I can still feel my hand after hours of sanding. As for the Ridgid sanders, well Ridgid was not rigid after all.
          Thanks

Comment

My experience with the 2400 was not very good either. The vibration was terrible and eventually it broke down and started ejecting bits of plastic from the insides through the vents. I think it literally shook itself apart. Replaced it with the Bosch 1/4 sander with the self tightening sheet lock. What a difference.

Comment

Lineadefuego, I agree with CWS. Whether it is a "normal wear and tear part" or not, it is covered under the Ridgid warranty and/or LLSA. If I were you, I would call Ridgid customer service, and explain the situation to them, and ask them to clarify the issue. Unfortunately, it sounds like another case of a repair center that's contracted under Ridgid telling customers the wrong thing. Many manufacturers' warranties specifically disallow repairs under warranty for "normal wear and tear parts", but the Ridgid LLSA specifically allows for it. Sounds like the bloke at the repair shop screwed up. Call Ridgid customer service and get them to sort it out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by lineadefuego View Post
                I bought 2 ridgid 1/4 sheet sanders from Home Depot about 8 months ago, both of them broke most of the leg (P/N 28) at the same time. I called Ridgid customer service for procedure in getting warranty repair and I was told that there is only one service center here in San Diego and that is "TOOL DEPOT". In tool depot, the service person told me that p/n#28 are normal wear and tera part and is not covered by the warranty. HOW CAN AN INTEGRAL PART OF A TOOL BE A NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR PART I exclaimed, and with an attitude he handed me repair tickets and said we'll call you. It's been over a week and no call. I considered this tool lost and will never buy another Ridgid again...
                You aren't the first person to have au issue getting their tools repaired after they break down in a few months and you will not be the last.. The problem with the LSA is that a lot of people dont understand it and don't know you have to register it. Ridgid doesn't exactly do the best job in advertising it because they don't want everybody to register their tools or they would be really hurt financially. This is what happens when manufactures don't have Factory repair centers and only have Authorized Repair Centers. It also doesn't help that HD is the only place to get Ridgid so you are pretty limited in where you can go for help with the situation.

I also agree that you would LOVE some of the Porter Cable sanders. They are great to work with and last forever. Also since they are under the same umbrella as DeWalt you can get them repaired much easier and not have to deal with all the BS you are going through.

Comment

Working...
                X