Dead 24vXLI battery! What do I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead 24vXLI battery! What do I do?

I have a dead 24vXLi battery and lost the receipt to the combo along time ago and never registered it. So am I still able to get a replacement? I've only dealt with RIDGID warranties one other time and I didn't have a very pleasant experience, hoping things are different this time.

Re: Dead 24vXLI battery! What do I do?

Originally posted by RidgidMANJames View Post
    I have a dead 24vXLi battery and lost the receipt to the combo along time ago and never registered it. So am I still able to get a replacement? I've only dealt with RIDGID warranties one other time and I didn't have a very pleasant experience, hoping things are different this time.
    Come on James......please! You were my hero.....Smokin hot babe! Picture of a Big pile of Ridgid tools!
    Lost the receipt AND never registered the tool set!!!! What is going on here?
    Alright.....here it is! I have never tried this, haven't needed to, because I have no social life, I always remember to register my tools.
    Several other forum members have stated that if you used a credit card for the purchase and can provide HD a close date of the purchase they may be able to pull up a copy of the receipt.......or if you used a credit card, the credit card company should be able to run a search on HD transactions and provide a copy of the receipt.

Comment

A) Using a DC Volt Meter with a range of 0-30 or 0-50, please measure Voltage across the terminals and report your findings.

B) If over 18 Volts, please see if there's anyone near you with the correct charger for the battery besides you. If you can find one, try charging the battery in that charger.

C) If the open circuit Voltage is under 18 Volts then most likely you'll need to replace it.

D) This is kind of a bad suggestion but you might buy a replacement and if your battery is under 3 months old swap your's with the new one and then try to return the bad one as defective. I would only do that through Home Depot and be sure the bad battery is marked DEFECTIVE so "Ding Dong Head" at HD doesn't put it back into stock.

I would try hard to find the purchase date as suggested. Either H D or your credit card company should be able to come up with something.

E) Taking a good guess how long ago did you purchase the battery even if it did come with other items?

Comment

James, I am right there with you... except that I actually took my entire set of Ridgid 24v Li-Ion cordless tools in for warranty work.

Without going in to too many specifics, it took a week for the warranty service center folks to even look at my batteries. Then they only deemed one defective, so I only had on battery replaced. That and had to make two 68 mile round trips. That warranty that I was so geeked about at the time of purchase has turned out to be yet another disappointment.

So now I am left with a set of tools and one lonely working 24v battery... along with two defective batteries (neither will accept a full charge - one isn't even recognized by the charger anymore and the other charges up to about 60%, runs a tool for less than 3 minutes and dies). I know my charger is working - does a great job on the newly replaced battery.

So really, what is a guy to do? Can these batteries be rebuilt? If you price one Ridgid 24v Li-Ion battery on Amazon.com, you'll find taht they are around $170...

For the price of two you can have a nice set of Makita, DeWalt or Milwaukee Li-Ion tools.... and have batteries taht are rebuildable or at least readily available.

If anyone has any suggestions for these 24v Li-Ion batteries, please chime in. I love the Ridgid tools, but I need them to actually run!
        Last edited by eschoendorff; 07-22-2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          A) Using a DC Volt Meter with a range of 0-30 or 0-50, please measure Voltage across the terminals and report your findings.

B) If over 18 Volts, please see if there's anyone near you with the correct charger for the battery besides you. If you can find one, try charging the battery in that charger.

C) If the open circuit Voltage is under 18 Volts then most likely you'll need to replace it.

D) This is kind of a bad suggestion but you might buy a replacement and if your battery is under 3 months old swap your's with the new one and then try to return the bad one as defective. I would only do that through Home Depot and be sure the bad battery is marked DEFECTIVE so "Ding Dong Head" at HD doesn't put it back into stock.

I would try hard to find the purchase date as suggested. Either H D or your credit card company should be able to come up with something.

E) Taking a good guess how long ago did you purchase the battery even if it did come with other items?

Good luck finding replacement 24v Li-Ion batteries at Home Depot - or at any brick and mortar store for that matter.

Comment

Working...
          X