Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new Milwaukee 0234-6 Magnum 5.5 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0234...6526929&sr=8-2

and am really happy with it. Got the old school red steel case for it too!

Re: Got a new Milwaukee 0234-6 Magnum 5.5 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill

Nice drill.

Welcome to the forum.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

That's a great drill. I have the 0234-1 which I bought back in 1975 and it's still going strong.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Great drill for sure and given a little care it should last you a looooooog time. As for a case, I personally use a red steel (brand X) toolbox for mine. The Milwaukee case is nice. What's a really great find if you can find one is the special 75th anniversary edition of that same drill. It comes with a special case. The drill is done with a polished gear case. It's really almost too nice to put to work.

Hint: The newer 8 Amp Milwaukee drills such as 0299, 0300 and 0302 while more powerful are not made as well, are nose heavy and just don't last like the true Magnum series.

You did well and I hope the $$$ wasn't too bad for it. If you got the "Super Saver" deal with free shipping then you did well.

Here's something you would do well to download and print. It's the parts list just in case you ever need it.

This is for drills where the serial number starts with 532C.

If you need the parts list for earlier serial numbers such as 532A or 532B just let me know.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Woussko; 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the parts list. Good of you to post that.

Yeah, with super saver shipping, at 66% off list, I did pretty good I think.

Grainger was also selling them really discounted too.

I looked into the 8 amp versions but like you, came to the same conclusion that this particular model was superior.

I'm using it to make 3 inch holes in masonry. I _could_ use a proper tool for that, but this seems to be getting the job done really quick.

What are the top of the line masonry drill bits, by the way? German or American? Any brands to special order? I'm not too impressed with a lot of what I've seen locally.

Comment

Dang... that is a nice drill. I have wanted one of those for a few years but other needs have always taken precedence...

Comment

Last summer I sold my Milwaukee 3/8 and 1/2" hole shooters along with my Milwaukee Sawsall, and 1/2" right angle drill. These tools were old and saw plenty of work but still looked new and performed like brand new. I don't do nearly as much work around the house as I used to and my Ridgid 18 volt 1/2 inch drill and reciprocating saw are all I need at this point. The guy who bought them got one great deal, I won't say what I sold them for but it was a waste to have them doing nothing but sitting in a box. Good luck with your purchase, excellent choice.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                That's a great drill. I have the 0234-1 which I bought back in 1975 and it's still going strong.
                I just picked one of these up of Amazon along with the metal case (couldn't resist). Interestingly enough, the box is clearly marked with a model number of 0234-6 and the sticker on the box with the serial number of the tool is also marked 0234-6. However, the plate on the drill with the stamped model number and serial number clearly has 0234-1 on it. The serial number matches the serial number on the box. Strange that Milwaukee hasn't changed the model number on the drill.

Edited for typos only.
                Last edited by NavyBuck; 07-31-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

NavyBuck, what is the amp. rating on your drill's nameplate? The 0234-6 is rated at 5.5 amps while my 0234-1 is 4.5 amps?
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The plate on the drill as well as the box says 5.5 amps. The Milwaukee website only lists the 0234-6 as an available model. I am not really concerned that I got "old goods", just curious why they still keep the old model number.

As a matter of fact, that part list linked in this thread lists the model as 0234-1 and it dates from 2006.
                    Last edited by NavyBuck; 07-31-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

The early versions of the "Magnum" series drills had more red nylon and less aluminum parts. They also used 4.5 Amp motors. Later they did more aluminum, especially the gear case and upgraded to the 5.5 Amp motor. I have a 3/8" version 0-1200 RPM model 0224-1. As for the name plates saying 0234-1 but the box saying 0234-6 that's all for marketing. The -6 means the instructions come printed on English, French and Spanish. The actual tool is a 0234-1. They did make a special -75 version for the 75th Anniversary. They are collector's tools but were made to work hard too. The aluminum parts are done in high polish and they have a special plate with limited edition serial numbers on it. Sometime I'll try to post some pictures of one of them here. I got my first 0234 in the early 80s and remember the changes when I got my second one in 2005. The second one is in use now. The old timer finally wore out so it's in retirement here. NO way is it going into the dump.

By the way even now they have a 0244 which is the same as a 0234 but geared slower. I think but need to check that there is a keyless chuck model 0235 high speed 3/8" version still made. It runs too fast for me and the keyless chuck is a POC but is easy to replace.

NavyBuck, What is the first 4 or 5 digits of the serial number on your's? Actually if there is 532A or 532B you have one of the last really good ones. The new 532C = Too many Chinese parts inside. It's not a bad tool but I like more USA parts.

To everyone I hope you are lucky and have a MILWAUKEE keyed chuck made in Japan on your's. Those are really good chucks. Some have a more junked up chuck on them. The early ones used a true Jacobs industrial chuck which was really good quality but today is also big $$$.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 07-31-2008, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Woussko - It is a "C" series, which I suspect is the only series one is going to find new these days. I haven't given it a real workout yet, but it certainly looks nice. How would I tell what chuck it has without actually pulling the chuck?

Comment

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
                          Woussko - It is a "C" series, which I suspect is the only series one is going to find new these days. I haven't given it a real workout yet, but it certainly looks nice. How would I tell what chuck it has without actually pulling the chuck?
                          Because I own a 0234-1 "C" and a 0234-1 "A" myself I am pretty sure it has a good chuck and to be sure you would have to remove it and look at the end. If it feels tightly machined yet smooth most likely it's the one from Japan. I really doubt too many changes have come to that fine drill yet. The 0299, 0300 and 0302 are the ones now made over in China and you can tell.

The "A" drill has a real Jacobs chuck on it. Both chucks seem to be very good. Rohm over in Germany has some good ones too.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            I echo Dave's comments, bought mine (also a model 0234-1) in the mid 80s, still running. It's the Timex of drill motors...takes licking and keeps on drilling.

The price in the link you provided to Amazon is actually about $40 LESS than I paid in the 80s for mine. But at the time I didn't have time to shop around. Got sent to a job and didn't have a drill motor there so went to the nearest HW store and picked one up.
                            Last edited by Bob D.; 08-04-2008, 04:58 PM.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NavyBuck View Post
                              I just picked one of these up of Amazon along with the metal case (couldn't resist). Interestingly enough, the box is clearly marked with a model number of 0234-6 and the sticker on the box with the serial number of the tool is also marked 0234-6. However, the plate on the drill with the stamped model number and serial number clearly has 0234-1 on it. The serial number matches the serial number on the box. Strange that Milwaukee hasn't changed the model number on the drill.

Edited for typos only.
                              Milwaukee and Porter Cable do this with their kits I believe. My Milwaukee router is the same way as far as the model number goes. The 0234-6 is probably the 0234-1 with the box, combioned they are known in the stock system as the 0234-6. The PC routers (690 series anyway) are the same way.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X