X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Vacs

How does everyone like the shop vacs from Ridgid? I am currently considering options to replace my old Shop*Vac branded shop vac...

Are the Ridgid any quieter? More powerful?

TIA!

Re: Shop Vacs

It really depends on what you are looking for. Which model are you looking at getting?

I have two Ridgid's right now. Well, make that one. The Ridgid ProPack is horrible piece of junk in my opinion and nearly cost me my job and and made a customer very upset. I beat that sweeper to death with my 3# sledge hammer and it felt good. Thinking about it still makes me mad. Sorry, moving on.

The other sweeper I use for my work shop is the Ridgid 12 gallon Wet/Dry vac. It does a fine job. Nothing to write home about if you know what I mean.

Now, the sweeper that I just love the Attix Super 8. It is very quiet and powerful. 59 decibels with 90 inches of vertical lift. If you are looking for your last vac then buy one of these. I get compliments on it every week.
    If you want any more info, feel free to contact me.

Here is a pic.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
      It really depends on what you are looking for. Which model are you looking at getting?

I have two Ridgid's right now. Well, make that one. The Ridgid ProPack is horrible piece of junk in my opinion and nearly cost me my job and and made a customer very upset. I beat that sweeper to death with my 3# sledge hammer and it felt good. Thinking about it still makes me mad. Sorry, moving on.

The other sweeper I use for my work shop is the Ridgid 12 gallon Wet/Dry vac. It does a fine job. Nothing to write home about if you know what I mean.

Now, the sweeper that I just love the Attix Super 8. It is very quiet and powerful. 59 decibels with 90 inches of vertical lift. If you are looking for your last vac then buy one of these. I get compliments on it every week.
      If you want any more info, feel free to contact me.

Here is a pic.
      I like you already! I also like that Super 8... definitely gonna Google that one...

Comment

For what it's worth ShopVac Corp makes both real junk and some pretty good machines. My personal choice of them all would be the Milwaukee #8911 if you want the most bang for the money and the Milwaukee 8925 if you can go all out for the best. I must warn everyone that they do not come cheap and you get just the machine. Next you have to pick the hose and each attachment. What you get is YOUR machine done YOUR way based on YOUR needs. These are serious work horses. They are not imported junk and they can be repaired. Inside the drum (when setup for dry pickup) is a huge heavy duty paper bag that holds loads of dirt and dust. Above it and sitting on top of the drum is a secondary cloth filter. Then the motor head sits on top. For wet pickup you remove the bag and filter and then install a float valve assembly. This is actually very easy and simple. These machine feature real motors and multi stage fans. They do EAT and I mean EAT up dirt. For the home DIY type most likely they will be overkill, but if you want quality, do have a good look.

Milwaukee 8911:
        http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192222_192137

Milwaukee 8925:
        http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192222_192137

Accessories used with the above:
        http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192628_192327

They have other models but the two I picked are normally the best choices for most users. Some of the Milwaukee models are not near the quality. Their good vacs are actually made under contract by Mastercraft Industries which is big into many types of floor and building care machinery.

As for RIDGID they have many models. Their drum (6 gallon and larger) machines are not too bad, but their filters leave alot to be desired. Also getting parts and accessories can be a pain. SEARS - Craftsman are in many cases the same machine or very close and they normally have way more in filters and accessories than does Home Depot.

The compact models of RIDGID shop vacs = Forget Them - Too many horror stories are on this forum about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
          The Ridgid ProPack is horrible piece of junk in my opinion and nearly cost me my job and and made a customer very upset. I beat that sweeper to death with my 3# sledge hammer and it felt good. Thinking about it still makes me mad. Sorry, moving on.

]
          I'd appreciate hearing the problem you are refering to. We have number of Ridgid vacs that have worked well on our jobsites. We bought a ProPack a few months ago for use on those small jobs in customer bathrooms and kitchens. I haven't personally used it, however I haven't received any negative feedback from the crews. I'd appreciate a heads up if something is out there that could bite us.
          Thanks.....Ray

Comment

I work in a small woodworking shop and the owner just bought a very nice looking Ridgid with a large stainless steel tank (sorry, didn't see the model number). I haven't used it yet, but I did open it up and was surprised at how small the filter was, considering the size of this vac. Also he had used it some over the weeknd so there was a small amount of debris in the tank, but the filter was already complete clogged and needed to be cleaned badly. I try this thing out and report back on how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              I'd appreciate hearing the problem you are refering to. We have number of Ridgid vacs that have worked well on our jobsites. We bought a ProPack a few months ago for use on those small jobs in customer bathrooms and kitchens. I haven't personally used it, however I haven't received any negative feedback from the crews. I'd appreciate a heads up if something is out there that could bite us.
              Thanks.....Ray

I'm not sure what kind of work you are going to do with the ProPack but I caution you about using it for water pick-up.

The incident I was referring to was when I was going pull a toilet and vacuumed out the toilet tank and bowl that happened to have one of those blue tablets in it.

When I turned around to shut the ProPack off I found the entire bathroom misted with blue dye. As I am standing there with my mouth open, the customer walks in. BTW, this was a all white bath with a white shower curtain.

The ProPack had sprayed water out two other times before the bathroom incident. I just thought it was a fluke.

IMO, due to the vacs elongated design it causes the water to oscillate in the vac. The other design flaw is instead of using a round ball for the vac cage when the water gets full they used a puck. The puck does not rise evenly due to the oscillating water causing the puck to get wedged and then what ever is in the vac to be sprayed out the exhaust.

The puck getting wedged will not happen every time, but how many times is it acceptable. In my case, none.

BTW, I am far from a Ridgid hater. I love many Ridgid tools and I avoid a few of them like they have a strain of bird flu. What made that incident sting so badly was that I bought the vac with my own money, for company use, because I believed in Ridgid. That same day I had another toilet to pull and had to use a sponge to get the water out. Then that evening I had to buy another vac (Shop Vac) to hold me over until the Attix came in.

So in short here is my story.
              1. Buy Propack because I liked it.
              2. Spray blue dye over customers bathroom.
              3. Make customer mad beyond belief.
              4. Lost all money on the job and had to pay to repair damage.
              5. The owner of the Company with P/O at me.
              6. Had to hand sponge a toilet, that day. GROSS!
              7. Spent more of my money on a temporary vac until the Attix arrived.
              8. Get teased about my Propack by the guys everytime a vac is mentioned.

Ya, it hurt.
              Last edited by Tyman; 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Sorry to laugh but the mental pic of the blue misted white bath brought tears to my eyes. I would have use the vac for target practice!

Comment

The motor, fan(s) and drum on the larger Ridgid vacs are fine. The filter cartridges are hard to clean and are just too small for the large size vacs. I used to own this one (see link) and while it was a good dirt eater, the darn filter made me become angry at it. They are a pain to remove, clean and reinstall. They had to be cleaned frequently too. The design of the machines needs to be improved so they will accept well designed and made, large paper collection bags, and the filters should be more like what ShopVac uses on their 5 gallon and larger drum vacs. I really think it's too much a case where Home Depot wants profits and not quality machines. On the other hand when making thousands of vacs per year I really doubt doing it right would make the machines cost much more to produce.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/9-Gallon-Vac/EN/index.htm
                  Last edited by Woussko; 07-22-2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I have the 14 gallon ridgid, that I upgraded from a 5 gallon shop-vac. The 14 gallon is alot quieter, and of course more usable.

Comment

I have four words for you:
                      Home Depot Thanskgiving Sale.

Every year for the past three (at least) they sell the 12 gallon Ridgid vac (model WD1250) for $29.00. I've used one as my primary dust collection system for 2 years now and it's going strong. I added a CleanStream filter to it, and a ClearVue cyclone in front of it. But it gets run for hours and hours per week and is just chugging along pretty happily. With this setup, I only have to clean the filter about once a quarter, but empty the 20 gallon can at least once a month.

Even with 2" ducting and a 10' long extension hose, the vacuum generates enough suction that I use it for floor cleanup and it does a great job. My arrangement is such that it has to take the debris up 6' of vertical lift (to the ceiling) and then traverse the ducting to the cyclone. I have no complaints whatsoever about the Ridgid 12 gallon vac. It's loud, but so is nearly every shop-style-vac.

I was going to buy another this past year, but couldn't justify it, since I do have a 10 gallon (or so) Craftsman that I used for general purpose cleanup... but its been wheezing pretty hard lately. I do get the bags for the Craftsman and I have to admit, that's pretty darn convenient. This coming holiday season, assuming the sale happens again, I definitely see a new Ridgid entering the stable.
                      Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 07-22-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I do not recomend the Pro Pack vac WD4522.

I some time need to drill holes in walls cut moldings etc. Leaving the site clean is a must I find that the filter gets blocked within 15 minutes of use. using bags sort of resolved the problem buttttt. they are expensive, they are very smal and need to be changed often. This in turns voids the reason i bought a canister type vacum in the first place. They would need to make the bottom canister about 5 inches deeper and have a 2 part chamber so the dust does not have a direct path from the hose to the filter.

Comment

I have used a variety of Craftsmen vacs in my shops for many years. Two years ago I gave my 12 gal to my Son-in-Law and bought a 16 gal Shopvac on sale at Lowes. Ten months later, while hooked up to my table saw, it proceded to burn itself up! After advice from some of my wood-working pals, I bought the Ridgid WD18510. I love the portability of the large back wheels and the tall handle. And, I have never had this kind of suckum from a vac even with a ten foot extension on the hose. I always use a paper filter in it and when hooked to a planer, etc., a Dust Deputy cyclone chip collector in front of it. Wish I had switched to Ridgid a long time ago.

Big G

Comment

for me.......any compact unit is really only for dry pick-up.

I have a ridgid compact and it would take very little water before the water saturates the filter and begins to enter the inside of the filter area.

As a dry vac I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                              for me.......any compact unit is really only for dry pick-up.

I have a ridgid compact and it would take very little water before the water saturates the filter and begins to enter the inside of the filter area.

As a dry vac I love it.
                              Dry? That's what a broom is for!
                              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
                              X