Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Table saw safety guard- do you use it?

I have never had the pleasure of owning a TS in the more than $200 range--only due to space constraints in my rig. The ones I have had are incredibly difficult to install/remove and also make it impossible to rip less than an inch wide. well over 50% of my cuts are under an inch so it was prohibitive for me to use the guard.

I am pretty keen on safety. I use eye protection, hearing protection, gloves etc. but have become used to having no guard on my saw. I am not proud of it, and long for the day in the future when I can use a better saw with a better guard system. If stop-saw had a portable version of their saw I'd shell out $1000 gladly just for piece of mind.

In the mean time I try to really pay attention to what I am doing and hope for the best. I have not had any close calls with a TS, but I am more dubious of it than any other tool.

As far as it creating a danger I think that may be only true during the learning curve of working with it. From the testimonials in this thread alone I can see that even if I don't want to believe it the guard can be used successfully in most situations.

I hope all my fingers make it until the day I can be more safe.

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Eli, for the thin cuts you might try flipping up the guard but leaving the splitter/anti-kickback pawls. At least that way you can prevent some things from binding up. I do that for some cuts on my TS3650 that the guard gets in the way of, but for the really thin ones you have to remove the whole assembly.

Comment

When removing the guard you also remove the splitter and anti-kick back pawls. Catching a board in the groin is not my idea of fun. If you're using your saw at home you're okay, so to speak. If in a business, OSHA will fine you about $2500 without blinking an eye if they come it to inspect. Trust me, I know. HTC in Royal Oak, Mi makes a nice after market above the table guard, an no I don't work there. They make the exacta fences for Jet table saws. After market splitters can be added to the throat plate from places like Rockler. There is of course the new saws that stop in a heart beat if a finger or other body part touches the blade. Watched a demo using a hot dog, barely left a mark on it and the blade stopped so fast I thought it was going to break.

Comment

I have used the guard on my TS2400 for a couple years, never had
          it bind up any cuts, something is out of whack with your guard.
          You need to fix it or get some sort of aftermarket gaurd.

I only remove my guard, when absolutely necessary.

Years ago I thought wearing safety glasses was a PITA, but after
          awhile with a little discipline I got use to putting them on.
          Now..... I always wear them. I won't be caught without them!

Same with the gaurd, I have gotten so use to using the guard, I almost feel naked with out it
          Last edited by Davet; 08-27-2008, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fry0806 View Post
            ......After market splitters can be added to the throat plate from places like Rockler. ........
            fry0806, do you own a Ridgid TS and if so, have you been able to do this with your saw? I've often thought of replacing the stock blade guard/splitter on my saw with an above the table type but the lack of room behind the blade on the throat plate seems to suggest to me that this is not possible. I have the RIDGID TS3612 which has a different throat dimension than the newer models so maybe that's why it doesn't seem workable to me.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              fry0806, do you own a Ridgid TS and if so, have you been able to do this with your saw? I've often thought of replacing the stock blade guard/splitter on my saw with an above the table type but the lack of room behind the blade on the throat plate seems to suggest to me that this is not possible. I have the RIDGID TS3612 which has a different throat dimension than the newer models so maybe that's why it doesn't seem workable to me.
              BD, There is a guy on woodnet who manufacturers guards called "SharkGuard". He makes one that fits the TS3650/TS3612:
              http://www.leestyron.com/sharkridgid.php

He gets lots of positive feedback. It isn't overhead, but it might be above the table. It does have dust collection. He custom makes them, so there is a chance that you can get what you want.

Comment

I just got my TS3660 about two weeks ago. It took the better part of a day to tweek the sheet metal of the splitter so it didn't bind a cut. Easy to get it aligned at the bottom but when ripping down thicker materials, it was so cock-eyed it bound up. Lots of fiddling and some wax and it seems fine now.

However I'm sure I'll need to fine tune it on a regular basis as it does flex a bit when I remove it for buried blade cuts like dados and rabbets.

For thin rips I've done a few without a jig but I'll be fabricating something soon when I get closer to needing lots of thin stock cut for facing shelves.

Likewise I'll be making a better cross-cut sled soon, the first one I made is OK but I think I could do better.

Comment

cpw, thank for the link. I'm familiar with the Shark Guard but not that crazy about it. I'm sure it's a great product but to me it doesn't offer that much more than the OEM one that comes with the saw to warrant spending that kind of money. For around the same money, this one from Penn State is more what I have in mind. However, the inability to add a spliter to the throat plate has always stopped me from getting one.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

A guard such as this is great. We have one similar to it in our cabinet shop and it works great. It is not practical if you move your saw around but if it stays in one place it is the way to go.
                    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006FKJ0U?...0&linkCode=asn

Comment

Working...
                    X