Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw safety guard- do you use it?

I have had several table saws over the years and currently use a Rdgid TS2400. Have tried to use the safety guard many times but find it is always in the way or binds up my work. Does anyone use the safety guard on a regular basis? Or has any one found a design that really works without being a total PIA? Mine sits in a corner and gathers sawdust.

Re: Table saw safety guard- do you use it?

Originally posted by rjniles View Post
    I have had several table saws over the years and currently use a Rdgid TS2400. Have tried to use the safety guard many times but find it is always in the way or binds up my work. Does anyone use the safety guard on a regular basis? Or has any one found a design that really works without being a total PIA? Mine sits in a corner and gathers sawdust.
    I use it except for dados or very thin rips which interfere with the fence. It is really easy to take on and off (no tools); so I just take it on and off as needed.

Comment

I use it on my 2400 all the time unless it's absolutely necessary to remove it for certain cuts like dado's. I can't say it's ever proved to be a problem for me. After it's adjusted correctly it doesn't interfere with my work. If it's causing binding it sounds like it's not aligned with the blade.
      Last edited by Velosapien; 07-20-2008, 04:11 PM.

Comment

No, I don't use it. Yes, I cut the end of my ring finger off two years ago. No, I still don't use it. Gaurds are for boys named Francis. Besides, chicks dig guys with scars. The other benefit is I can tell when a thunderstorm is coming in.
        Last edited by Tyman; 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

there are some aftermarket that are better in my opinion if one needs to use the guard, they usaly are supported by a arm and are not attached to the table any were near the blade.

I have not had a guard on either of my two table saws for 30 years, (still have them I think),
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Of course I use mine. It would be foolish not to. There are times when it's not practical to use it but 99.9% of the time it is.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I use it all the time. I let the weather channel predict the weather.

Francis
              When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
                I use it all the time. I let the weather channel predict the weather.

Francis

HA!
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Absolutely!!!!

When I was 14 I watched my father lose a couple of fingers to a table saw, it took me over forty years to even want to go near one (I love my RAS).

But now that I have it, I love it... but I always keep the guard in place unless the "cut" requires its removal... and that's when I dig out my 12 ft push stick!

CWS

Comment

i use it 99 % of the time. the other 1% is dado cuts. I wouldn't even consider doing a normal cut with it off.

Comment

I also have a TS2400, and I use my guard all the time except as others have noted when I have to remove it for a cut that can't be made with it on. It has never really got in the way or been a problem.
                      BMJinGA - There's no substitute for experience.

Comment

After adjusting it, it works perfectly. I use it for every possible cut unless it's a dado type. Takes time to get it set up properly, but it's worth it. Once set, you can remove and replace the guard repeatedly without having to re-align it.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I can think of three good reasons to use the blade guard all the time (except as Sandy sez, when there is no way to make the cut with it on. First, there is the matter of having your hands in the wrong place at the wrong time (inadvertently of course). A missing or shortened digit makes it difficult to wave a one-fingered salute when it’s called for. Second, kickbacks make for blood loss and bruises in strange and unusual places, and third, flying missiles will knick you and anybody else standing in the line of fire regardless of how fast your reflexes are. They can be launched any time without warning by hitting a knot or buried nail or any one of an untold number of other things.

In my previous life in the construction industry I once heard a safety dude give us a lecture after a particularly nasty accident. He said that every “lost time accident” is caused by an unsafe act, and the law of averages says that the unsafe act can be committed 10 times for each time an accident occurs. That’s why you can use your table saw for 30 years and still have all your fingers. That’s not to say, though, that the next time your luck will not run out.

The same argument can be made for using push sticks and feather boards and protective eye gear and zero clearance inserts. I once got nicked on the wrist by a missile that came out from under the blade guard when it got caught between the blade and the insert because I was too lazy to change the insert after a dado cut. The good news was that because I had the blade guard in place it hit my hand instead of some other place that might have hurt worse.

My 3650 has a very good blade guard that is easily taken off and put back on in exactly the same position. Once it’s adjusted correctly you never have to worry again. To me, not using it is pure folly. Who wants to be a martyr to the fickle finger of fate?

Blind Bill
                          Last edited by blind bill; 07-22-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Like the credit card company slogan says - "don't leave home without it". I never remove the blade guards, rifing knifes, or disable any other safety device on any of the tools. Seen too many "pros" take one for the team against the tools and when they remove them it just inspires the newbies to try to immulate their folly. Keep the guards in place is my suggestion.

Comment

I never use it and actually find them dangerous! European saws are sold with a new type of guard that might work. The new BOSCH is sold with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X