X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R2400 base question

I sure hope this isn't too stupid of a question. Just purchased a Ridgid R2400 laminate trimmer and dont understand why the base seems to tilt off of 90 degree from the collet and bit. Admit to limited experience with laminate trimmers. The last one used was borrowed about 5 years ago, and I recollect that the base was 90 degrees to the bit and you could use the trimmer facing in any direction, which was nice for going around corners. I tried a few test pieces with the new trimmer and can't quite seem to get the hang of how to trim the top laminate with out shaving off some of the edge which I glued up first. The manual doesn't speak to this angleld base and I even went so far as to check the other Ridgid trimmers for sale at my HD and they are the same way. What am I missing here? BTW, I was free-handing the trimming since I had quite a bit of excess laminate around the outside edges and didn't use the edge guide.

Re: Ridgid R2400 base question

Jim,

Welcome to the forum.

I think I understand what you are saying, but it sounds a bit strange in that my R2400 base is flat and, as near as I can tell, perpendicular to the blade (or should I say that the cutter is perpendicular to the base). I can't picture an "angled base" as that would defeat the purpose of the tool, IMO.

So, are you telling us that the base is actually at a slant, thicker on one edge than the other; so that if you set it on a table, the tool looks like the Leaning Tower of Piza?

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That is exactly what I am saying. It is as if the base was improperly molded. I put a small square against the base and bit and believe it or not the base leans toward one side by about 1/8 inch. It is enought that you can see the difference, especially when you lower the bit depth all the way. I called RIDGID and the tech guy didn't beleive me either, saying that there is no way that something like that could have made it passed their inspectors. Worse yet is that there is another one just like it on display at my local HD.

No matter as I have just returned the whole kit to HD.

I re-learned a very good lesson about making test runs with a new tool before you go to work on the good material. Can't believe I made that mistake.

Comment

Jim,

Wow!

Makes one really wonder how in the Dicken's can something like that get through inspections... especially since there should be some kind of quality assurance at every level: from the making of the mold, through casting, deburring, several machine processes, paint, final assembly, and test... not to mention shipping and receiving inspections, including the folks at Home Depot who put the other unit on display.... DUH!

As far as putting it into service right out the box, how many of us have done that. Certainly a wise word to everyone, to give the tool a try on some scrap before you committ it to your project.

I'm glad to hear that you returned it. Hopefully you've found a good one. Did the Ridgid person ask for further details or to have you somehow return the tool to them for their investigation into what happened? (Probably not... although that would seem to be a logical step, just in case there's a ton of those out there.)

CWS

Comment

You know, the RIDGID tech guy treated me as if I was somehow lying to him about the defect. He told me that he was holding a trimmer as we were talking about the issue and the base was perfectly molded. He said the only choice I had was to return or send to repair depot. And, of course he was right about that.

I have had a recent string of bad luck when it comes to power tools. I recently bought a Recond. Dewalt biscuit joiner that was actually missing a piece that held the fence to the tool. That one went back also. Jeez!!!! I wonder about quality control, even on name brand stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X