reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reason

this is a thinking question. with all the problems i see on this forum about assembly problems, poor owner manual instructions , not being able to see the product before buying and not getting the 100 dollars offf that so many people speak of, which on the 3660 549 dollars is the cheapest price, why should i consider buying one???

Re: reason

i wasnt posting this to hurt anyones feelings, but to have an honest discussion

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
      ........ why should i consider buying one???
      Easy, for every unhappy owner there are probably 100 or more happy owners. It's also good to remember that many of the complaints can be traced back to self inflicted owner ignorance. I'm not saying that all Ridgid tools are without problems, I'm just saying that people are much more prone to complain than compliment.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Because, in my opinion, it is the best saw that you can get for $549.00. The problems that you mention will be overshadowed by the quality of saw that you will end up with.
        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

I have no problems with my Ridgid miter saw or the table saw that I have,
          they work great! I bought both back in the days of display models and it greatly influenced my purchase of these tools.
          My Ridgid tools are a great tools at a good price.

I now do have a real problem not being able to play and kick the tires on major purchases that I was going to make at Home Depot.

I was going to buy a Ridgid planner, but when I got there,.. there was no
          display model and not even a picture of the planner on the display racks.
          There was one up on the top rack in a box !?
          I told the manager " nicely" that I will never buy a tool that I can't play with first and also wrote an email to Home Depot stating the same thing.
          I'm sure thy will get right on it!
          I was looking to possibly buy a Ridgid Planner and a Band-saw, but not no more, ...shame really.

One would hope Ridgid would take note that HD no longer displays
          these products and light a fire under hd's butt before it hurts sales.
          Last edited by Davet; 07-24-2008, 04:00 AM.

Comment

thanks Davet

Comment

thanks DaveT. also what should i pay for a ts 3660? HD wants 549, can you get discounts?

Comment

My decision to get a TS3650 was based mostly on reviews from this forum and other sites. There was one set up at my local HD and I can honestly say that if I had to depend on what I saw there to make my decision, I would not have a Ridgid saw. The displays are not assembled with the care and precision that most owners would put into the assembly process. The cast iron is stained, dirty and dusty, the stand is unstable and don't even think of seeing how the Herc U Lift works.
                I agree that seeing one on display is nice. But seeing one properly assembled on display would be much more useful.
                When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

I am a new owner of TS-3650 and I couldn't be happier - especially that I was able to get one at a 20% ($449 CDN). I bought it to make furniture for my house.

Actually, the saw caught my wife's eye first, and the funny thing is that I was surprised she even knew what a table saw was

I did a lot of research before buying and this forum was most helpful. I read not only reviews, but also tips and pretty much all threads related to the saw. Only then I began to have a pretty clear picture of what to expect.

I also went through the online manuals because all those the "dos" and "don'ts" often tell you what to expect.

Understandably, not all reviews were favorable but I like to think I know how to read reviews. I read the negative ones too, but I ignore those which are obvious rants, or are not describing faults of importance critical to me and my needs.

Two examples:

Wobbly base.

That was the funniest thread here. How can the base be wobbly if you tighten all the 20 (or so) bolts (including the head connection to the base). Just use a wrench. A real one. I can't believe someone on this continent had a problem with that.

The structure of the saw can be compared to a house. It too can be one wobbly structure, until you brace it with the roof. I see no wobbliness on my saw. Long story short this is a non-issue, but if someone makes it so it can be addressed in a number of easy and inexpensive fixes - from bracing it with extra steel to buying an old piece of junk with a base the strength of the Eiffel Tower

Bad arbor.

That's a different matter and it can be serious, depending on how you approach your work. This, however, has been addressed by Ridgid and for me personally it is a non-issue as dado blade is not something I tend to use a lot - mostly for some rough pre-cutting (material removal) so that my router doesn't have to work too hard.

Other complaints will have to do with feature set. You need to decide by yourself whether all the features that some consider important are also important to you, and whether you are able to implement them yourself as the need arises. Again, for my needs, the saw has all the features I need minus the outfeed table. Sure, it would be nice to have a built in outfeed table 2 thousand various jigs and all painted in my favorite colors, but is it realistic for a $449 saw?

Also, I always discard comments complaining about lack of features. Do your research, check if the saw has all the ones you need. Don't just assume it does. Those who don't do their homework before spending the money and busting their balls assembling the heavy machine, deserve all the aggravation they go through.

The saw is what it is and for the price it's a great tool. After a weekend of cutting I have to say this - the pieces I cut were not only nice and smooth but they were also straight and square. All using the Ridgid fence and miter.

I just finished a bunch of drawers for a California closet and my next project is an outfeed table. Again, this forum has been a great source inspiration.

All the above may sound like things are perfect with Ridgid 3650. They are not. My saw came with a stripped motor mount thread (part of the blade assembly). Not happy about it but ow well, $hit happens and apparently the issue is not with engeneering or design of the saw, but most likely with some frustrated Chinese factory worker, likely late for lunch (they do get lunch breaks, don't they?)

With kind of 1 and a half bolts for the engine mount the saw is still surprisingly smooth and vibration free. I have 4 options now:

1. just keep using it as it (a bad option, but still an option)
                  2. rethread the stripped thread
                  3. exchange the faulty part.
                  4. return the saw

I will be dont #3 tomorrow, just waiting for HD to unload the new delivery. They allowed me to bring only the part that is bad.
                  Option #4 is out of the question. The saw is great.

All, in all, I am one happy camper, and, given my budget and the size of my garage if I had to chose again I'd buy the same saw.
                  Last edited by darius; 07-25-2008, 12:42 AM.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

darius, unless your TS had been sitting on a shelf at HD for years I doubt if you have one with a bad arbor. That situation was addressed back in 2005 and any saw made after May of 2005 didn't come with one of the bad ones.
                    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

badger dave:

you seem very knowledgeable and courteous to all who ask questions. im going to purchase a ts3660 soon and i have metric sockets and plenty of sae wrenches, but dont have metric combination wrenches. how many sizes metric wrenches do you need besides the 12mm?

Comment

Originally posted by levon View Post
                        badger dave:

you seem very knowledgeable and courteous to all who ask questions. im going to purchase a ts3660 soon and i have metric sockets and plenty of sae wrenches, but dont have metric combination wrenches. how many sizes metric wrenches do you need besides the 12mm?
                        I don't know which metric wrenches you need, but it probalby isn't too much more expensive to buy a full set than a single wrench (assuming you get a starter-level one). I need metric all the time, even for changing the oil on the american-built Ford and Nissan I had.

Comment

thanks cpw, youre right about the starter set im sure

Comment

levon, it's been soooooooo long ago that I assembled my saw, actually I have a 3612, that I can't remember the different sized wrenches I used. cpw has the right idea though, get yourself a basic starter set of metric combination's and you'll be good to go. If you have a Harbor Freight store in or near Tifton you can get a set for under $10. That's where I got mine and for the amount of use they get they are more than adequate. Also, thanks for the kind words but if you hang around long enough you might not think I'm so courteous all the time.

Comment

when i do pick up the saw at home depot, im going to try to pickup at least one good blade, what do you reccommend? i know they have frued at hd, but not sure which to start with?

Comment

Working...
                              X