X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS-3650 Finally Assembled

I bought my TS-3650 right after Christmas with my HD gift cards (I dropped enough hints). I tinkered with the assembly on and off for about 6 months and finally got around to completing the assembly a few days ago. I have a Craftsman 10" table saw so I just used it and was in no hurry to get the 3650 up and running. I made a few test cuts, turned the saw off, and proceeded to try to kick myself in the head. I was unsuccessful - as if I need mention it. The reason for the fore-mentioned head kicking attempt - I realized after 2 minutes of test cutting with the 3650 that I was an idiot for not assembling it earlier. I did not expect that much difference between it and my Craftsman - WRONG. I haven't even tuned it yet and it was like I had been driving a 20 year old junker while I had a brand new Rolls Royce in the driveway with a flat. I now cut wood on an entirely new level and it may sound sick but I think I'm in love. I think I may tie my Craftsman to the back of my truck and drag it around town for a while.

Re: TS-3650 Finally Assembled

And I thought I procrastinated...

Comment

No comment on the procrastination!! However, I am happy you like the saw upgrade. Many of us started with what we could afford, and that often meant Craftsman, and not top-of-the-line Craftsman, either! While I was ever so happy to get rid of my old stamped steel top direct drive Craftman, I do know that thanks to that saw I was a lot smarter about what I wanted in a saw, and was all that much more pleased with the difference when I first used my 3650. I don't think those that have a Ridgid TS3650/3660 as their first saw can appreciate how good it really is.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
        No comment on the procrastination!! However, I am happy you like the saw upgrade. Many of us started with what we could afford, and that often meant Craftsman, and not top-of-the-line Craftsman, either! While I was ever so happy to get rid of my old stamped steel top direct drive Craftman, I do know that thanks to that saw I was a lot smarter about what I wanted in a saw, and was all that much more pleased with the difference when I first used my 3650. I don't think those that have a Ridgid TS3650/3660 as their first saw can appreciate how good it really is.

Go
        Very well put. I was kidding about dragging my Craftsman behind the truck. It is light and portable and I'm sure it will be useful in the future when I need to do some work outside my home. It too is one of those stamped steel saws that would move across the floor when ripping plywood. The sad thing is that this saw sells for over $400.00 at Sears (Canada) and they sell thousands to unsuspecting first-time table saw buyers.

Comment

My first saw was a $125 no name 10" portable I bought at the home-town lumber company. I remodeled my house built a shed but when I used it to saw real brick veneer the motor did not like the dust and quit. My next table saw was the shop smith ER10. That was the first model they made and its many tools in one unit. The table saw is the worst tool on it. I remodeled my second house, built cabinets and benches ect.. This tool will not die!!. Its cast iron and thick steel. I finally purchased the Ridgid ts 3660 in May only because a home depot was going out of business and I got a great buy(brand new in sealed box). Let me tell you I reeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate the quality of this saw. For the first month I woul take regular trips to the basement just to stare at it and cut some more tomatoe stakes!!

Comment

Originally posted by cutnail View Post
            For the first month I woul take regular trips to the basement just to stare at it and cut some more tomatoe stakes!!
            I did that too, but I couldn't cut anything for fear of waking up the kids. How sad is that. I really think that the TS3650 has really helped me develop my skills though.

Comment

I just finished assembling mine tonight. I agree with you. It is an amazing difference over the craftsman I had. I too can't believe I waited this long to get a good table saw.

Congrats on your new saw! Congrats on my new saw. Yeehaaaw!

Comment

Originally posted by cutnail View Post
                My first saw was a $125 no name 10" portable I bought at the home-town lumber company. I remodeled my house built a shed but when I used it to saw real brick veneer the motor did not like the dust and quit. My next table saw was the shop smith ER10. That was the first model they made and its many tools in one unit. The table saw is the worst tool on it. I remodeled my second house, built cabinets and benches ect.. This tool will not die!!. Its cast iron and thick steel. I finally purchased the Ridgid ts 3660 in May only because a home depot was going out of business and I got a great buy(brand new in sealed box). Let me tell you I reeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate the quality of this saw. For the first month I woul take regular trips to the basement just to stare at it and cut some more tomatoe stakes!!
                I have the same ShopSmith. These days, it does it's duty as a lathe and nothing else. It's a darn fine lathe and seems to get along fine with the 3650 and the DP1550 drill press. It's nice not having to setup all the fiddly ShopSmith parts and pieces to do a simple job. If you're of a mind to get into some turny stuff, check out Penn State Industries. They have some nifty things, and have attachments specific to the ShopSmith.

Enjoy the new saw! The Ridgid TS's are well thought-out, strong and capable tools. I've enjoyed mine to no end and plan to do so for many years to come.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You think you procrastinated!! I got my TS3650 for my 65th birthday, well a group of guys from our local woodworkers club are coming over on Sunday DEC 7 and we're going to finally assemble it. It has been in the boxes in my basement for 16 months!!! It has been kind of a running joke among the guys. Better late than never.

Tony
                  The only stupid question is one that isn't asked !!

Comment

You may well win a procrastination award, Tony! It's nice that your club members are coming to help with assembly, too.

It took me about 5 minutes after pulling in the driveway to start unpacking the saw. I don't think I'm capable of leaving a new tool sit all alone for much longer than that!

John

Comment

Originally posted by sawhorse75 View Post
                      And I thought I procrastinated...
                      Im going to quit putting things off..................starting tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                      X