Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Table saw blade won't get to full speed if set too low...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw blade won't get to full speed if set too low...

I've got a Ridgid TS3650 which has been great for the most part. I've had a problem for a while now though where the blade won't get up to full speed and often stops completely if you're cutting with the blade raised less than about 3/4"-1" above the table. I can get away with using 8" dado blades set rather low, but again they will stop if the blade is set under maybe 1/4".

As far as I can tell, the belt isn't binding on the back of the frame and there isn't anything significant clogging up the dust port.

A great deal of the work I do involves using sleds and jigs, so this is often not a problem, but it is a pain in the neck for alot of other cuts!

Can you give me some tips where to look for issues? Has anyone else hit something similar?

Re: Table saw blade won't get to full speed if set too low...

Originally posted by BigMikeyD View Post
    I've got a Ridgid TS3650 which has been great for the most part. I've had a problem for a while now though where the blade won't get up to full speed and often stops completely if you're cutting with the blade raised less than about 3/4"-1" above the table. I can get away with using 8" dado blades set rather low, but again they will stop if the blade is set under maybe 1/4".

As far as I can tell, the belt isn't binding on the back of the frame and there isn't anything significant clogging up the dust port.

A great deal of the work I do involves using sleds and jigs, so this is often not a problem, but it is a pain in the neck for alot of other cuts!

Can you give me some tips where to look for issues? Has anyone else hit something similar?
    Could the belt between the motor and blade be too loose? Maybe you could try adjusting the motor backward so there is greater tension.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      Could the belt between the motor and blade be too loose? Maybe you could try adjusting the motor backward so there is greater tension.
      It's been a while since I set up the saw and I'm not sure how to check what tension I need. Can you give me a few pointers?

Thanks!

Comment

I know it's a stock answer but you'll find all the information you need on belt tension in your Owners Manual.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Today I was cutting a kerf in some melamine and my saw stalled. I was very surprised at that, since cut was only 1/2 deep. Remembering back on this thread (and I think a very similar one on WoodNet) I checked out the belt, and it did manage to get itself a bit loose.

If anyone else has a problem like that, you might want to just check your belt tension. I've been doing some pretty high cuts to resaw some 2x4s and red oak into veneers for a lamination recently, so I guess that it might have stretched just enough to cause a low cut to have too little tension.

Comment

Had the same problem with mine. After fiddling with it I found that if I adjusted the motor/belt tension with the blade lowered, the problem went away.
            Hope this helps.....

Comment

Working...
            X