X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosch PS20-2 Litheon 10.8-Volt Lithium-Ion Pocket Driver with 2 Batteries

I had to check, and recheck, but sure enough, Bosch is now packaging these in a 12volt version being sold at LOWES here in Fort Lauderdale, Florida...Everything else looks identical (case,2 batts, charger, etc), just the batts are now 12 volts! Bosch claiming increased speeds and torque!
    Last edited by derdern; 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM.
    http://powertools.blogetery.com

Re: Bosch PS20-2 Litheon 10.8-Volt Lithium-Ion Pocket Driver with 2 Batteries

That's great!!! I love my PS10 but it is a bit short on power at 80"lbs!!!! Hopefully torque is up!!!

Comment

More info

On the Bosch web site it looks like they have been making some changes. The PS-10 is now a 12 Volt version called the PS-10a. There is a new PS-20a and a real worker the PS-40a. Below are links where you can read about them.
      http://boschtools.com/Products/Tools...px?pid=PS10-2a
      2) 12 Volt batteries, 1/2 hour fast charger, (2) Power bits, case

PS-20a - http://boschtools.com/Products/Tools...px?pid=PS20-2a
      Same goodies included as the PS-10a

Now here is the tool that's going to wake up the other blue brand. A nice new compact impact driver the model PS-40a. Hmmm Dear Santa ____

PS-40a - http://boschtools.com/Products/Tools...px?pid=PS40-2a
      I'm only 2.2 pounds, am small and yet I pack up to 800 inch pounds of torque. That's 66.7 pound feet <aka> foot pounds. For a little tool that's pretty impressive. It also comes with the goodies but this one it has the MAX 12 Volt batteries. And this is nice ... 3 LEDs on the nose to light up what you're working on. Me likes this tool. Me wants one

I just went back for a second look. All three use the same BAT411 battery pack. Nice upgrade "Big Blue"
      Last edited by Old Grunter; 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

This had come up some time ago. It's nothing more than marketing to stay competitive. Nothing has changed as far as I'm aware. It still uses 3 lithium-ion cells at 3.6v each for a total of 10.8v. The thing with batteries is their is their peak charge voltage and their average working voltage. Lithium-ion has a peak voltage of 4v even though it almost immediately drops to 3.6v per cell as soon as you start using them. Technically it's correct that the Bosch 3 cell tools are 12v, even though 10.8 would be more correct as their actual working voltage. Problem is competitors are marketing their 3 cell compact tools as 12v even though they should in fact be 10.8v as Bosch used to specify.

Comment

Velosapien

Thanks for the waking up. Let's say the old battery is 10.8 Volts. That would be 10.8/3 = 3.6 Volts per cell which is pretty normal. Now if they were to add another cell that would make the 10.8 Volt battery into a 14.4 Volt one. I do remember Milwaukee telling that their cells run at a higher 4.0 Volts nominal while most others are 3.6 in regard to Li-Ion cells. Maybe that's how Bosch came up with 12 Volts, but I think you're right that it just makes it read as being a new battery but in reality no changes were made.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grunter View Post
            Velosapien

Thanks for the waking up. Let's say the old battery is 10.8 Volts. That would be 10.8/3 = 3.6 Volts per cell which is pretty normal. Now if they were to add another cell that would make the 10.8 Volt battery into a 14.4 Volt one. I do remember Milwaukee telling that their cells run at a higher 4.0 Volts nominal while most others are 3.6 in regard to Li-Ion cells. Maybe that's how Bosch came up with 12 Volts, but I think you're right that it just makes it read as being a new battery but in reality no changes were made.
            Reading in another forum, there are actually slight changes to the motor. Im not sure if its unique to the PS40 or not, but the RPMs are slightly higher as is the torque. Not sure if its a different way of how they rated it, or if its actually a different motor (someone mentioned that if you look inside the cooling vents, the new motor does actually look different).

The chuck on the PS40 has changed a little as well.

I dont believe the batteries have changed at all, aside from a new label. I was expecting (hoping?) to see the 10.8V labelled batteries go on clearance at HD, but I havent seen it happen as of yet.

This might be why we saw the clearance pricing at HD (although I see no indication they will carry the 12V version.......they have enough models of compact LI drivers), and I suspect also why we saw the free PS20 promo as well........Bosch trying to clear out the "old" models to make way for the new ones.

Comment

All New Bosh 40 Volt Super Cordless Tools

Sorry everyone but it's just a marketing trick. Depending on timing and the state of charge, a battery will have different open circuit Voltage. Try taking your own measurements and you'll see this. Right out of the charger they will read higher than if you let them sit overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grunter View Post
                All New Bosh 40 Volt Super Cordless Tools

Sorry everyone but it's just a marketing trick. Depending on timing and the state of charge, a battery will have different open circuit Voltage. Try taking your own measurements and you'll see this. Right out of the charger they will read higher than if you let them sit overnight.
                Absolutely. And Bosch knew/knows this. 10.8V is a much more realistic voltage rating for the batteries in these tools, vs 12V. But, its a marketing/numbers game. Milwaukee and Ridgid say 12V (max), Bosch says 10.8V (nominal). Put them side by side on a shelf, who will buy what? 12V MUST BE BETTER!!! Bosch is just keeping up with the other brands.

And it truly does seem like they changed the motor at least a little in the PS40.

Comment

Just bought the Makita 10.8 volt impact driver/driver combo at HD for 179.00.
                  I had the Milwaukee 12V. The Makita driver is just as strong or stronger, the impact is a small beast.

Comment

Working...
                  X