Buying Decision: TS3650 vs TS3660 Table Saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Decision: TS3650 vs TS3660 Table Saw

I've pretty much settled on Rigid's TS3660 table saw. Trolling around, I came to discover that HD sells reconditioned versions of the 3650 for about $100 less. I think that's good money saved in exchanged for less than new, but want to understand what else I may be missing.

Having searched through these forums, it seems like the only real difference is to the structure of the legs? Is that it? Same fence, same quick release of the blade guard, etc.?

Also, the one thing that has me balking over this purchase is the arbor length and the need to remove the washer to use a 3/4" stacked dado. Even on the small contractor saw that I use today, I'm able to use the washer. What kind of trouble am I opening myself up for by using a wide stacked blade without a washer? Is this an area of concern?

Any insights will be appreciated. I'm anxious to make the purchase.

Re: Buying Decision: TS3650 vs TS3660 Table Saw

The non use of the washer on wide dados should not concern you. The basic purpose of that washer is to assist with blade stability. By it's very nature, a wide dado setup will be very stable with very little if any chance that the outside blades will deflect.

As far as the differences between the 3660 and 3650, you hit the nail right on the head. That being said, IMO a reconditioned 3650 should sell for much less than just $100 off the current price for a 3660. I would think that a recon should go for $150-$200 less than new.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

If the recon has a full warranty, it seems like a good deal. The money saved could be applied to an upgraded fence, miter gauge, or sawblade.

Comment

As far as I know, none of the reconditioned tools are eligible for the LLSA. You'd need to check with Ridgid service to make sure.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The ONLY caution I'd give you on buying a reconditioned unit is to check the arbor. Not for length, but for the gap that older units were manufactured with. This issue was fixed several years ago, but if you're getting a recon, it might have been within that manufacturing window.

Search these forums for "TS3650 Arbor" and there's a huge thread on how to identify those models and what the arbor looks like.

Comment

as reconditioned ridgid tools are not LLSA eligible, i wouldn't be penny wise and pound foolish. one repair after the 1 year reconditioned tool guaranty would wipe out the $100 saving. for the extra $100, buy yourself some long term peace of mind concerning the tool most woodworkers feel is the heart of their shop.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
            X