X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using small blade on TS2410?

I bought a new 10" blade for my TS today and a new blade 7 1/4 for my circular saw at the same time. I was using the circular saw blade to start a ZCI cut for my new 10" blade and I was surprised how far I was able to crank the circular blade up.

Is there any down side to using a 7 1/4 blade on my 10" saw?

The nice thing is the circular saw blade has a 40 TPI which is in between my 28 T and 80 T 10" blades.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Re: Using small blade on TS2410?

The only downside would be reduction is thickness that you'd be able to saw. Otherwise, there's no real reason why you couldn't use a 7ΒΌ" blade.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BD. It seems silly now but I was not thinking I could use all my circular saw blades. My arsenal just got a little bigger!

Comment

The peripheral speed in feet per minute will be less as you reduce the diameter of the blade. You may well find you need to slow down on your feed rate. On the good side your motor won't have to work as hard.

I doubt you'll be able to cut through 2 by lumber using a 7-1/4" blade but it should work for 1 by lumber.

Comment

Good point. I was thinking the RPM for the blade itself would be higher but did not really understand what that would mean in terms of feed speed.

My ancient circular saw is pretty slow any way so at this point anything is an improvement.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyBullets View Post
            I bought a new 10" blade for my TS today and a new blade 7 1/4 for my circular saw at the same time. I was using the circular saw blade to start a ZCI cut for my new 10" blade and I was surprised how far I was able to crank the circular blade up.

Is there any down side to using a 7 1/4 blade on my 10" saw?

The nice thing is the circular saw blade has a 40 TPI which is in between my 28 T and 80 T 10" blades.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
            You are right that 40T is in the middle of 28T and 80T, but the tooth counts are total, not TPI. If you do the math the TPi works out to:
            For your Circ Saw Blade:
            40T / (7 1/4 * pi) = 1.76 TPI

Your TS Ripping Blade:
            28T / (10 * pi) = 0.89 TPI
            Regular TS Combo Blade:
            40T / (10 * pi) = 1.27 TPI
            Your TS Crosscut Blade
            80T / (10 * pi) = 2.54 TPI

Also, using the smaller blade shouldn't give you problems. At least for Dados lots of people recommend the 6" sets instead of 8" sets, because they have more torque closer to the arbor.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              You are right that 40T is in the middle of 28T and 80T, but the tooth counts are total, not TPI. If you do the math the TPi works out to:
              For your Circ Saw Blade:
              40T / (7 1/4 * pi) = 1.76 TPI

Your TS Ripping Blade:
              28T / (10 * pi) = 0.89 TPI
              Regular TS Combo Blade:
              40T / (10 * pi) = 1.27 TPI
              Your TS Crosscut Blade
              80T / (10 * pi) = 2.54 TPI

Also, using the smaller blade shouldn't give you problems. At least for Dados lots of people recommend the 6" sets instead of 8" sets, because they have more torque closer to the arbor.
              I was sure I saw some blades listed as TPI but you are absolutely right. I have been using the wrong terminology.

I actually counted the teeth on an old blade I have but did not think about it.

Thanks.

Comment

I have an older direct drive Delta contractor saw. I have it now as a dedicated dado saw.
                I am using a 6" good quality dado blade set and have not stalled the motor once.
                I do note as mentioned earlier feed speed does need to be slowed down.

On my Jet contractor table saw I have used 7 1/4" and 10" blades. Other than reducing feed speed and limiting the cutting height the table saw has not exhibited any problems with the smaller blade design.

Cactus Man

Comment

Teeth per inch would apply to a straight line blade such as a band, hack saw or reciprocating blade. On a circular blade they could state teeth per inch rather than the total number of teeth on the blade.

Hmmm This has my thinking that it would be nice if the manufacture did state it both ways and also had a chart showing RPM to SFM (surface speed).

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                  On my Jet contractor table saw I have used 7 1/4" and 10" blades. Other than reducing feed speed and limiting the cutting height the table saw has not exhibited any problems with the smaller blade design.
                  Cactus Man
                  The blade having a short radios should be stiffer and thus vibrate less during cuts. A good industrial grade full kerf 8" blade really runs nice on a good 10" table saw. A very fine tooth one for cutting trim is nice to have. They cost less than 10" blades too. For cutting up scraps it may pay to buy a cheapo all steel blade 7-1/4 or 8 inch size.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 08-11-2008, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X