X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Gal 18/24V ridgid vacuum

I have been waiting for Ridgid to come out with this item and being in the NE area we're normally(Or have been in the past) one of the last places to get the newer items. HD is starting to cater to more region specific needs and they're getting better at how they shuffle items around. However being that TX and FL are still they're main test sales regions we're still pretty much last on the list, ANYHOW...

I have been watching the sales isle where the ridgid wet/dry vacs are displayed and I JUST the other day finally saw the battery operated 3gal vacuum and they're ALREADY pulling them off the shelves and replacing the ridgid with a Huskey model and going that route. Supposedly they have had them on the shelves for over a year now.

I am rather displeased with what I saw, I didn't purchase because I was planning on posting here and getting some feedback from those that have.
    I stand behind every ridgid power tool I've bought and am quite happy with their customer relations dept.

My questions are, those who have purchased them, are you happy with your Vacuum or?

Have they or are they planning on building a newer model WITH an AC power cord(Like Dewalts)?

Thanks in advance
    NE contractor
    Cylas

Re: 3Gal 18/24V ridgid vacuum

Quick question: Do you really have a need for a cordless shop vac? If no you'll do far better with a corded model.

As for what's going on I'm near Washington, DC and to me Home Depot is too crazy with their stock. Anymore it's pretty much a guessing game as to what will be in stock and at which location.

From what I have seen of the new Husky vacs they are junked up machines made for selling at a low price or at a higher profit to HD.

I really wish that Dewalt or Milwaukee would do a new really good cordless using 36 Volt (Dewalt) or 28 Volt (Milwaukee) Li-Ion batteries and have the option of using 2 of them together for longer run time. No more little toys. Let's give it enough motor and fan so it really will eat dirt. Let's go for a good filter design too. It can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Quick question: Do you really have a need for a cordless shop vac? If no you'll do far better with a corded model.
      I go through a lot of punch list work during the end of a job and yes a cordless vacuum of the same quality or better then Dewalts would be a blessing.

Carrying a larger wet/dry corded vacuum that is normally very dirty with concrete slurry residue and various other nasty objects. A lot of times the punch list is on a very large scale office buildings(As I am a commercial/industrial contractor) with multi floors and a lot of space to cover and lugging a larger vacuum around for small piles of dust or small water leaks is a pain. And yes I've "tried" to keep one of the larger vacuums from getting dirty but it ALWAYS ends up out at some job site when there are no remaining vacs in the warehouse and comes back ruined for ready to hand over job sites with new paint/carpet/tile/finished floors.

I had a Dewalt cordless vacuum and was VERY pleased with it, I put it through hell and it kept on working for more. It finally died but more importantly I have since changed over from Dewalt power tools to Ridgid and I have 8+ 18v batteries charged and ready to go at a moments notice.

With the Dewalt brand having a power cord for when the need arose (The last of a small pile not worth going to the truck on the 1st floor for another battery)it was the ultimate punch list aid in my arsenal, I miss it dearly!

P.S. It also works GREAT for cleaning out my truck and my camp/boat where there is no power.
      Last edited by Contractor; 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

On this forum I've read good and bad about the Ridgid cordless vacs. Let's hope someone that actually owns one replies to you. From what I've seen of them at Home Depot, I would take the Dewalt over it without question, but I fully understand about the battery issue. It's a royal PITA having to have say 4 different battery types and chargers for them.

I stay clear of Ridgid brand cordless tools as around my area I have never seen replacement batteries or chargers at any of the Home Depot locations. Dewalt on the other hand while not cheap are easy to get when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          I stay clear of Ridgid brand cordless tools as around my area I have never seen replacement batteries or chargers at any of the Home Depot locations. Dewalt on the other hand while not cheap are easy to get when needed.
          Not sure about your state or the west side for that matter, but I found when my 18v 1/2" screw gun got stuck wide open and burned all the battery links that there were several repair shops around my fairly rural area.

I never registered my 4 pack with Ridgid because I got the first model put out when they didn't actually have a registration process. No receipt and no UPC from the box and all my serial #'s were worn off. The rep from Ridgid understood my concern and located several repair shops close by and offered to even pay for shipping charges, which was not needed because I dropped it off myself.

When I dropped my drill and battery off, the repair shop had several refurbished tools and batteries CHEAP cheap. Refurbished 18v batteries at the time were 19.95(Since rose to $30) and came with a Lifetime guarantee as well( I normally stay clear of refurbished anything). This is about 3yrs later and I'm glad to say that out of the 6 batteries I purchased from them 5 are still holding strong and 2 out of 3 I've purchased brand new(The MaxSelect) are now toast, but have since also been replaced free of charge by the same repair shop.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Ridgid power tool equipment I own, and it's service/rep department. Although it would be handy if HD handled this in house
          Last edited by Contractor; 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I have the Ridgid vac and the Dewalt vac. The ridgid is stronger with the 24V battery and about the same with the 18V. The advantage of the Dewalt is the cord option. The advantage of the Ridgid is 3 gal versus 2 gal.

Comment

I have the dual voltage vacuum also. No complaints yet other than a replacement filter is somewhat hard to find. Grab an extra one when you buy the vac.

Canuckartech had a great review of that vac:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16172

Comment

Working...
              X