Upcoming Power Tool Product Launch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upcoming Power Tool Product Launch

Interesting. When you go to the product launch page, it's now showing the details for this new AutoShift drill. When you click on the highlight button for the battery, it shows you a new graphic, and states, "Includes 2 batteries; 1 Compact battery & 1 Extended runtime battery..." The interesting part is that the "extended runtime battery" that they show is the 24 volt XLi battery it appears, but it seems to say 18V on it. I'm wondering if this is truely a new battery release with this drill, or if this drill only comes with the standard and 3.0Ah versions of the already released 18V lithium batteries, and if someone just made this advertising image in error maybe.

Comment

Yeah, I see the same thing. It looks like there is also a light below the chuck and another one above the battery.

Hey canucksartech, I have the X2 18v hammer drill but I'm thinking of getting into the lithium sets. This is mostly for around the house stuff, but I always do work around the house with projects. The thing I hate is how if I don't work on something for a while and I grab a battery off the shelf, it's already drained from sitting. That's one of the main reasons I want to get into lithium. Would this drill be as powerful as my hammer drill or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

btw... did you see the different colored lights at the top? Blue and Orange lights for the autoshifting feature?

Comment

Originally posted by ghost View Post
        Yeah, I see the same thing. It looks like there is also a light below the chuck and another one above the battery.

Hey canucksartech, I have the X2 18v hammer drill but I'm thinking of getting into the lithium sets. This is mostly for around the house stuff, but I always do work around the house with projects. The thing I hate is how if I don't work on something for a while and I grab a battery off the shelf, it's already drained from sitting. That's one of the main reasons I want to get into lithium. Would this drill be as powerful as my hammer drill or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

btw... did you see the different colored lights at the top? Blue and Orange lights for the autoshifting feature?
        Yep, saw all the different lights. What I do like is that it looks to have (and it said it somewhere too) two different LEDs underneath the chuck, for better illumination than just the single.

I'm very impressed and happy with the lithium compared to the X2's standard NiCad. This would definitely (it appears) be the drill to get into this with. I have both the 18V LI compact drill/driver, as well as the 24V XLi hammerdrill. If you have a need for a hammerdrill, it would be the one. Otherwise, the 18V LI compact drill performs excellently.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          I'm very impressed and happy with the lithium compared to the X2's standard NiCad. This would definitely (it appears) be the drill to get into this with. I have both the 18V LI compact drill/driver, as well as the 24V XLi hammerdrill. If you have a need for a hammerdrill, it would be the one. Otherwise, the 18V LI compact drill performs excellently.
          One project I do work on a lot is installation of new outlets and wall wiring. Many times I'll have to go up in the attic and drill some holes through the 2x6's with a spade bit. What drill should I get for that purpose? I'm guessing one with less torque but more speed, correct?

Comment

One project I do work on a lot is installation of new outlets and wall wiring. Many times I'll have to go up in the attic and drill some holes through the 2x6's with a spade bit. What drill should I get for that purpose? I'm guessing one with less torque but more speed, correct?
            Try getting an auger bit, you want slower speed, but it requires very little pressure because the bit has a screw in fron that pulls itself through.

Comment

Your current two-speed 18V X2 should have no problem drilling those holes with the hammer function turned off. The 18V compact Li was priced real nice earlier this year and the batteries would fit the 18V X2. I waited many months for an opportunity to purchase a non-drill Ridgid kit with the 3 Ah Li batteries but lucked out one trip to HD and purchased the R86111 mistakenly marked down from $269 to $111 (slow mover was the reason??the box was a bit torn but everything seemed new). If you decide on the 18V compact Li the new batteries should rejuvenate your old X2 like mine.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I meant to say 4x6 beams that I go through, but you guys probably knew what I meant. So the 18v lithiums will work fine in my X2?

I like my X2, but wish it was a little lighter. Maybe the lith's will help out.

Comment

I agree with CPW, use an auger bit. A spade bit is okay though - you'd want to use it on higher speed, with an auger bit you'd want lower speed and more torque. Any of Ridgid's 2-speed drills would work okay with that. The compact 18volt lithium may be nice for carrying around up in an attic - less weight than your X2 nicad. The big 24 volt hammerdrill might be a bit too big for that. And yes, the 18 volt lithium ion batteries will work fine in your X2.

Comment

Nice gimmick tool if you don't have a drill, but most users probably have a compact drill or micro driver for the small stuff and a beast for the heavy stuff.

Plus the autoshift thing is just one more thing to break/disappoint.

It's pretty much meh. Not as meh as the radio, but pretty meh all the same.

They should have expanded the pocket driver line with a saw or grinder or both, like Milwaukee is doing.

Then again, this new Ridgid drill might be a great cure for insomnia when coupled with the DOA radio.

Yawnnn........
                    Last edited by tinmack; 08-30-2008, 03:17 PM. Reason: speeling
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                      They should have expanded the pocket driver line with a saw or grinder or both, like Milwaukee is doing.
                      That's what I was hoping. I need just a couple heavy duty tools, but everything else can get done with 12v liths. Milwaukee is definitely making me think about their 12v line... too bad I already have a bosch ps40!

Comment

I have the Milwaukee 12v and the Makita 10.8v. The Makita is nicer it is two speed shorter, lighter and more torque and the light stays on by just touching the trigger. Milwaukee 129.00 Makita 149.00 BUT Makita Drill AND 10.8 Impact Driver for 179.00. And I love the small impact.

Comment

Sorry about the prices. Makita Driver 129.00 Impact 149.00 both for 179.00.

Comment

Don't know what it is but I know what I would like to see. A 24 volt side grinder would be nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diverdon View Post
                              Don't know what it is but I know what I would like to see. A 24 volt side grinder would be nice!!!
                              Ridgid is going to make it right after they finish my 18 volt heavy duty 1/2" impact wrench.

Comment

So where's the update? Site says -5 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X