86006 18V li-ion drill won't charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86006 18V li-ion drill won't charge

Both batteries that came in the package 6 or so months ago won't charge. The charger blinks green like it's charging for a few seconds then goes solid green like its already done. Pop it in and .. nothing.

Tonight the HD guy gave me a new charger out of a box but this charger is doing the same thing.

Help!?

Re: 86006 18V li-ion drill won't charge

Originally posted by satxscott View Post
    Both batteries that came in the package 6 or so months ago won't charge. The charger blinks green like it's charging for a few seconds then goes solid green like its already done. Pop it in and .. nothing.

Tonight the HD guy gave me a new charger out of a box but this charger is doing the same thing.

Help!?
    Welcome to the forum.
    Since it would seem unlikely that both batts would go bad at the same time I would guess the drill has died.
    Maybe the charger only charges for a few seconds because the batts are fully charged. Have you checked the voltage at the battery by putting a meter across the contacts.
    I would suggest the next step would be to contact an authorized
    Ridgid service center in your area. Since the set is only six months old the repair or replacement will be covered under the three year warranty.
    They should request that you bring in the entire set of drill, charger and batts so they can determine the problem.
    If you don't know how to locate a service center near you, skroll to the bottom of this page and click on Ridge tool company and follow the steps.
    As there have been mixed reviews posted on this forum relating to the service experiance, please let us know how things go. .........Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 08-17-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the help! HD gave me the info for the service center so I am taking it in this week!
      Scott

Comment

This is about another brand of Li-Ion batteries but it may help you. I found that they behaved much like your's do. The cure was to put the battery in the charger and leave it for 3 days. On the second day it started charging and by the end of the third day it was charged up fully. Once charged, I started using it until the tool just started to slow a bit. Then I stopped and allowed 1/2 hour for the battery to adjust to room temp and charged it up again without problem. While I do recommend having a service center check over everything, you might want to just try putting your battery(s) in the charger and leaving them in it for a few days to see what happens. Do check the charger about every 15 min at first and then maybe every hour to make sure it's not too hot.

It seems that there are just too many strange charging problems with Li-Ion batteries and the included chargers. This is not just with one brand or type either.

Comment

Working...
        X