X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Ridgid shop vac impeller

Sorry, I posted this in the general forum before deciding this forum might be better.

I have a Ridgid shop vac that I really like. I use it to draw the dust from my sand blasting cabinet. Well, the impeller finally wore through. With the exception of the impeller, the rest of the vac looks and works like new. It is a model WD600 series. Can anyone help me locate a new impeller (or two)? This thing has several more lives left in it. Thank you!

Hemi-T

Re: Need Ridgid shop vac impeller

I think you mean that you want a replacement fan and sadly they aren't sold as a replacement part. You may want to check several local vacuum cleaner repair shops. If they have some where the motor burned up, you might be able to remove the fan and use it to repair your vac. Someone on this forum may have some parts you can use where they had motor failure. If you can please try to post the exact model number of your vac.

Comment

The fan that cools the motor (on top of the unit) is in perfect condition. This is the part of the vacuum that forces air out of the canister to create the vacuum effect. It is under the filter, and under the plastic guard the filter mounts to. It bolts directly to the bottom of the motor shaft. I'm probably calling it the wrong name.

Constant contact with the sand from my sand blast cabinet eroded the fins away until the impeller collapsed (it's really shiny and clean, though!). I use the vacuum without a filter to move dust from the blast cabinet through a port in the wall to the outdoors. The filter plugs up every 15 minutes or so if you use it while sand blasting. It was bound to wear out sooner or later, but it lasted a couple of years before the sand ate it up. The rest of the unit shows no wear at all. If I can get new impellers, this thing should last a looong time.

I tried a couple of the local vacuum cleaner shops, but I got that deer-in-the-headlights look from them. If it's not a Kirby, Hoover, etc, they're lost.

It is Ridgid model WD 06250 bought at Home Depot. If this part really doesn't exist, I might even try making an impeller before giving up on it. Thanks for any help!

Hemi-T
      Last edited by Hemi-T; 08-20-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I can't help directly but do know that Emerson made some of the Craftsman shop vacs. My WD1660 has a detachable blower that's identical to a friend's Craftsman. Maybe you can find a cheap used Craftsman with the same parts, or get new Sears parts to fit.

Comment

If there is another brand/model that would cross over, that would be great. I'm sure most of these vacs are made by just a handfull of companies. The hard part is cross referencing models. I'll start with Sears and see where it goes. Thanks!

Hemi-T

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19641
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi-T View Post
              Sorry, I posted this in the general forum before deciding this forum might be better.

I have a Ridgid shop vac that I really like. I use it to draw the dust from my sand blasting cabinet. Well, the impeller finally wore through. With the exception of the impeller, the rest of the vac looks and works like new. It is a model WD600 series. Can anyone help me locate a new impeller (or two)? This thing has several more lives left in it. Thank you!

Hemi-T
              No help on impeller, but have you thought of replacement newer Ridgid? Here's link to one on eBay. Nope not mine, I just sometimes seach for things people ar looking for in different places on web.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDGID-SHOP-VAC-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Other than that, I think it's "Good luck" but I've posted to my notes in case I see something
              Joe
              Last edited by Passin Thru; 08-22-2008, 11:34 PM.

Comment

If the sand is hitting your impeller fan, than you're not filtering your vacuum very well. If it's getting to your impeller, then the sand is just being blown right back out into the air. Try a cleanstream gore tex cartridge filter or buy a Shop-Vac brand wet/dry vac that can take collection filter bags. They work great, just fill them up and throw them out when they fill up.

Comment

Re: Problem resolved! THANK YOU customer service!

The folks at Ridgid really came through for me, and I believe in giving credit where credit is due. I checked with Ridgid Parts to see if it was possible to cross reference my vac with a newer model that used the same parts. They checked, and sure enough the part was available. THANK YOU to Gina for her excellent customer service! She said she would send one to me right away under warranty. I reminded her that the vac was not under warranty, and that the failure was due to the way I used it. I would have been perfectly happy paying for a new part. She insisted on sending it to me under warranty. I asked if I could purchase a second part and have it ready as a spare for next time, and she said she would send that along under warranty too. At that point I told her she was starting to make me feel a little guilty, and that I would be happy to pay (again), but she wouldn't have any of it. My parts arrived right when she said they would, and my vac works as good as new. Service like that is rare nowadays. Thank You Ridgid!

Hemi-T

Comment

Impressive service, and good of you to mention it. Guess they got paid via free PR!

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi-T View Post

Hemi-T
                      I just joined the forum so you may not need this any longer. The itme you are looking for is called "Blower Wheel" Part # for model WD06250 is:509121. I hope this helps you out.

Comment

Working...
                      X