Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Manuals for Pressure Washer?

Hi guy's.
    Picked myself up a Ridgid RD80746 3000psi pressure washer last week end.When I got home,took it out of the box and started to put it together,I thought it kind of odd that this unit doesn't ship with a owners manual for the Robin SP170 engine.There should be a separate manual for just the engine from Robin America to advise on regular maintenance related issues.Don't think I've ever bought any other gas powered piece of machinery where a engine manufacturers manual wasn't included with the rest of the literature.Ridgid,please start including the engine owners manual with future shipments.It makes life a lot easier.

When I went hunting for a engine manual at Robin America,they don't have a SP170 6.5 h.p engine listed and one didn't come up when I did a search either.All they list for engines even close to this one is the 6 h.p EX17.I down loaded this manual just to get an idea of what the manufacturer suggests as regular maintenance intervals etc.What is the difference between the SP170 and the EX17?They both kind of look the same to me except the .5 h.p difference on the engine label.Is SP170 what Ridgid refers to it as or is it a special number assigned to it by Robin America to identify it as a strictly for Ridgid equipment engine?Anyone have the answers?

Re: Engine Manuals for Pressure Washer?

I can't figure the model number of that engine either. I need to look at that model pressure washer in person as there might be another number somewhere on the engine. It's not an old model number. The only thing I can think of is that it's a special engine which is not one of their standard models. Then maybe it's not a real Robin engine and is really a Chinese copy. I'll try to find more on this and will post about it.

Comment

All righty,here is the official response from Ridgid with regards to engine manuals for pressure washers.This inquiry was for the RD80746 3000PSI unit in particular but it probably holds true for the others as well:

No, we do not have the engine manuals. You will need to contact Robin/Subaru at 1-800-277-6243, if one was not included with your purchase.

Best regards,

Tom C.
      Consumer Response
      One World Technologies, Inc.

Comment

Seems like Ridgid customer service smacked you on the face with a stinky old rotten fish.

I'll try contacting the USA branch for Subaru-Robin again and see what I come up with. When I did call them they had no records of ever making the SP170 engine and that makes me wonder if it even really is a Robin engine or not. Maybe someone else there will have more info on it.

Comment

If this thing doesn't have a Subaru engine on it,somebody had better tell Subaru that because somewhere in the world,someones cranking out Subaru engine decals and sticking them on strange engines that look a hell of a lot like theres but knowbody seems to know anything about them?.Why is it so hard to get a straight answer from anyone these days.Ridgid doesn't know,Robin America doesn't know?Somebodies not doing their job right.That much I do know from what's been gathered so far.Let me know how you make out again with Robin America again.I'm going to call them myself just for the hell of it with my fingers crossed and if all else fails,just for the comic relief aspect of it...........and the SP170 sagga continues.

Comment

I would try this manual as it's about as close as I think you'll find for now. From the specs it looks like the SP170 is a special version of the EX17 engine.

http://www.subarupower.com/media/man...8551584055.pdf

Comment

Yeah,I down loaded that manual last week just to give myself some idea as to what Robin America recommends for servicing intervals such as on oil changes.Especially the all important first oil change where there will be a lot of metallic particles circulating in the oil due to the breaking in process.

Thanks Wouskko for posting that manual for the EX17 as it will probably be as close as we will come to a manual for the SP170 engine.Unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat and comes up with the correct manual for this engine,this will have to do for now.If you read through this manual folks,you will notice that the recommended initial oil change should be done after 20 hours and every 100 hours after that.

You may want to down load a copy and keep it with your pressure washer manual for future quick reference.Thanks Wouskko.

Comment

With regard to oil changing I would personally recommend going old school. Change the oil after the first 5 hours, then 20 and then every 50 rather than 100 hours. Oil is cheap compared to doing a major engine overhaul. Remember these little engines hold less than one quart. Another thing very few small engine manuals tell is to please use 89 octane plus grade gasoline rather than regular 87. Service centers in my area have posted that on the wall near the door for some time.

As to why the Ridgid pressure washer doesn't have any owner's manual for the engine must be a manor oversight on their part. Every piece of power equipment I've purchased (not a Ridgid pressure washer however) had the owner's manual for the engine and the machine it powers.

Another call today to Subaru-Robin USA got me the same reply. They do not know what gives with the SP170 and wonder if it is for real. Now I really want to find one of these pressure washers where I personally can take a good long look at the engine name plate - label and see if there might be some clues on it that I can use.

Either this is a special model made only for that Ridgid brand pressure washer or it's a fake. When I get more info I'll post what I came up with.

Comment

I'm old school also and lean more to the "change it sooner than later" train of thought when it comes to oil changes.I was thinking 50 hours was a bit long to wait for a first oil change myself.Like you said Woussko.....it's only a litre of oil we're talking about hereso don't be afraid to change it out more frequently guy's.Your 5,20 and 100 hour change intervals are more in keeping with what I've ever read in most other lawn mower engine manuals in the past.Excellent advice Woussko in your last post.

Comment

Let's think of an automobile in the USA. First off unless you really blast down the highway much too fast your engine is not spinning at 3600 RPM or higher once you have shifted into the proper gear. Second your auto engine holds more oil, runs cooler (normally) and has an oil filter. If you behave and change oil and filter about every 3500 miles that would be about 75 hours of run time if you mostly drive on the highway. The thought of running a little air cooled engine at high speeds for 100 hours per oil change has me wondering about the life of the engine. Call me nuts but I'll go for more frequent oil changes for it. As for even my car engine, I did the first oil and filter change at 1000 miles and was totally shocked at what was in the drain pan. The idea of the recommended first service at 3500 miles was after seeing what came out and also the weight of the filter after draining the oil out of it.

Getting back to the service manual for this engine, I really hope to sometime be able to look carefully at the SP170 engine and figure out just what gives with it. I'm wondering if maybe it's a new special low emissions engine only to be sold in a select area but has approval for other areas too. A call today to a large Subaru-Robin engine and generator service center near me resulted in their not being able to find anything on the SP170 other than that such an engine has been listed. No parts lists, no manuals or specs. I have a bad feeling this may be a RIDGID pressure washer only engine. This reminds me of special items that have been made for SEARS and other huge stores over the years. They are very close but not exactly the same as the model sold elsewhere.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Well this whole thing was driving me nuts so I decided to take a closer look at this engine and look for any clues that may help to identify it.Thanks Woussko for mentioning the idea earlier.I just needed to get off my butt and put words into action.So down on my hands and knees I go checking out this motor and after 5 minutes of frogging around,I discovered a thing or two.First off,I must admit,the quality of this engine and its components are definitely very japanese and top notch.The spark plug wire and cap are made by NGK in Japan for example.I am very impressed by the build quality of this engine and its components.Definitely equal to if not better than Honda in quality.

Secondly,I made a real big screw up earlier in this thread when I said it was a 6.5 hp engine when in fact it is a 6.0hp engine.What can I say?OOPS!My mistake.

Well lastly Woussko,here's one bit of info your going to find very interesting.I found a silver "Engine Information" sticker on the lower right side of the flywheel housing (just below the engines on/off switch) that has some engine numbers and such on it that didn't ring any bells with me but on the bottom right corner of that same sticker is stamped this:

Robin EX17T

Thought you'd like that.The real kicker is that on that same sticker it tells you to see the owners manual for engine specifications and adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        If you behave and change oil and filter about every 3500 miles that would be about 75 hours of run time if you mostly drive on the highway.
                        The new Hondas are very cool, instead of havng a predetermined interval the computer tells you when how much oil life you have left and when it should be changed.

Comment

Looking at the specs on the RIDGID site and then at the specs for the Subaru-Robin EX17 engine, I really think they are one and the same internally. Without both of them here I can't be totally sure. Here is what I can offer regarding the EX17 engine and the T would either be for the type of starter or crankshaft.

Update: Now that the Subaru-Robin web site is up and working here is a link to where you can download in .PDF format manuals and parts lists for the EX series of engines. If you prowl the web site you should find loads of good info.
                          http://subarupower.com/smanuals.aspx?sid=7
                          Last edited by Woussko; 08-29-2008, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Same engine on mine, and I've got the same response from Subaru Robin also. I have the same 3000 psi Ridgid pressure washer. I bought mine in HD here in Canada a week ago. And no manual for the engine either. To top it off, there's no bracketing on the back-side of the faceplate for the wand storage when not in use. I noticed that all of these new-off-of-the-pallet ones are each missing this same bracketry (not sure if that's a word, but I'm using it!). I called customer service, as ProBrand stated in another thread to do, to ask to get those parts (along with a missing rating sticker from the faceplate), but I got nowhere with the customer service rep the other day. And I was in a rush, so I couldn't debate with her on the phone, or seek escalation higher. ProBrand, what's up with these two issues chief?

Comment

Canucksartech,when you say your unit doesn't have the bracketry to hold the spray wand or the handle,are you referring to the metal storage hooks that are positioned on the back of the Ridgid name plate?If you are then that's funny because mine does have this on it.

I picked mine up just 2 weeks ago and finally had a chance to use it yesterday.This thing fired up on the very first pull after I gassed it up.Each subdequent restart,bang she fired up on the first pull every time.I didn't experience any of the problems that others have stated here at all.No loading or restarting issues at all.I am really impressed so far with this presssure washer.This 3000 PSI pressure washer unit is the perfect match for everyday household use and quite frankly any thing more in my opinion would simply be overkill.No lack of pressure with this unit,that's for sure.Just make sure the water is turned on to the pump at all times when running this thing.It needs the water to prevent the pump from over heating as it acts as lubrication for all internal moving parts .

I haven't tried the soap test with mine yet but I hope to shortly.Hopefully I won't have issues with the 3 way soap selector valve that others have had but time will tell with further testing and usage of this pressure washer.I love the big wheels on this unit.Getting it up and down the basement stairs is a piece of cake and the folding handle makes for really compact storage unlike some other makes of pressure washers on the market.I am really liking this little unit so far but time will be the final judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X