X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Drill Questions

Okay, I have read a few posts on this forum and and questions have arisen. First let me say that I have bought a RIDGID 86006 at HD today because my fifth Craftsman cordless has let me down. The problem-the trigger. seems the spring that pushes the trigger back when you let go has stopped springing. This is the problem on most of my Craftsman tools. That's fine-I'm just about done with Craftsman power tools anyway. So now I need to get a new cordless. I was going to get a Bosch but HD and Sears didn't have it in stock. So I'm at HD trying to figure out which one to get. I'm torn between the DeWalt 14.4 compact(NOT XPR) and the Ridgid. I was going to go yellow and black when the sales man came up to me and mentioned the lifetime warranty. I chose the Ridgid. Now let me say that this was a hard choice because I was venturing out of my comfort zone. I have seen DeWalt used by every trade at work. I know they are very durable and very powerful, even at lower volts. They are also VERY pricey. I have noticed Ridgid tools making an appearance too. I personaly have a Ridgid table saw. Big and sturdy-very nice.

I am now questioning my choice. There seems to be alot of "hassle" involved with the li ion batts and the whole service thing. I have already checked it out-there is a service center less than 20 miles from my house. I live in PA but work at the Jersey Shore. I'm sure I can find a center close to work too. I need my drill everyday and don't want to be without for 10 days. Although free service forever can make up for that. One question I have-sand is my worst enemy in my tools. I try to blow it out with an air hose(I don't have a vac to pull it out). But eventually sand will win out. Will the service clean the drill of sand and dirt? That would be a big selling point. All of my problems can be attibuted to sand and dirt on the contacts etc.

I am thinking about returning the Ridgid for the DeWalt only because I know more about what to expect with DeWalt. They may be the old batteries but I am more familiar with them and our nail and tool supplier will throw in service for free occasionally. See if you can sell me before lunchtime.
    If you use a calculator to layout rafters...get off my job!!!!

Re: New Drill Questions

Originally posted by Gregman1069 View Post
    Okay, I have read a few posts on this forum and and questions have arisen. First let me say that I have bought a RIDGID 86006 at HD today because my fifth Craftsman cordless has let me down. The problem-the trigger. seems the spring that pushes the trigger back when you let go has stopped springing. This is the problem on most of my Craftsman tools. That's fine-I'm just about done with Craftsman power tools anyway. So now I need to get a new cordless. I was going to get a Bosch but HD and Sears didn't have it in stock. So I'm at HD trying to figure out which one to get. I'm torn between the DeWalt 14.4 compact(NOT XPR) and the Ridgid. I was going to go yellow and black when the sales man came up to me and mentioned the lifetime warranty. I chose the Ridgid. Now let me say that this was a hard choice because I was venturing out of my comfort zone. I have seen DeWalt used by every trade at work. I know they are very durable and very powerful, even at lower volts. They are also VERY pricey. I have noticed Ridgid tools making an appearance too. I personaly have a Ridgid table saw. Big and sturdy-very nice.

I am now questioning my choice. There seems to be alot of "hassle" involved with the li ion batts and the whole service thing. I have already checked it out-there is a service center less than 20 miles from my house. I live in PA but work at the Jersey Shore. I'm sure I can find a center close to work too. I need my drill everyday and don't want to be without for 10 days. Although free service forever can make up for that. One question I have-sand is my worst enemy in my tools. I try to blow it out with an air hose(I don't have a vac to pull it out). But eventually sand will win out. Will the service clean the drill of sand and dirt? That would be a big selling point. All of my problems can be attibuted to sand and dirt on the contacts etc.

I am thinking about returning the Ridgid for the DeWalt only because I know more about what to expect with DeWalt. They may be the old batteries but I am more familiar with them and our nail and tool supplier will throw in service for free occasionally. See if you can sell me before lunchtime.
    Gregman.......Welcome to the forum. We are a contractor that rehabs alot of old houses and our tools work in tough and dirty conditions. We have a couple of the DeWalt 14.4 top of the line (XLT?) drills. We have had them for years and they have been very good performers. Actually we have three because one was trashed because it finally wore out and the repair cost was prohibative.
    We started buying the Ridgid cordless tools because of the LLSA and to this point (1 1/2 years since first 24V set ) they have performed very well. We have over 40 0f the Ridgid cordless tools which are worked hard every day. We have three of the 86006 18V compact LI drills and I have to say it is the best all around cordless drill I have ever used. It has great power and balance, perfect trigger control, surprising run time with the 1.5AH battery. It has replaced the Panasonic 14.4 drill as my favorite. Mine has glue on it, the rubber trim is starting to peel off in spots and it is still performing flawlessly. It has been covered in plaster and concrete dust, used in the snow and rain and like the energizer bunny, keeps on going. In all fairness the DeWalt 14.4 drills have performed in the same conditions also, however I like the balance of the 18V Ridgid better, the power is greater, and the DeWalt progressive control triggers stopped working fairly quickly while the Ridgid is still precise after a year of tough duty.
    I can't comment on the service centers since we have never had the need of one. Posts on this forum have indicated mixed results.
    Good luck and let us know how the R86006 performs.
    Last edited by roadrashray; 08-24-2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Okay, I am committing to the 86006. I have taken it out of the box and popped one battery in the charger and one on the drill. Seems to be fully charged or at least moderatly so. Seems to have a bit of umph to it. Feels good in the hand. I am smelling that electronic smell. I think that is wire coatings and treatments burning off. I remember someone telling me wires are coated with an oil or gel to keep them from coroding. This is not a big concern. New electronics do this. Now it's just a matter of putting it to work! I have railings to rebuild at home today, a door to set and steps to build at work. For the size and amount of decks that I do, I am thinking about using my deck/drywall gun to screw those down. Any thoughts on this? I can't help thinking that that is a lot of wear and tear on drills and batteries. I compared the DeWalt 14.4 Xrp and the 86006 and with DeWalt you get almost the same amount of power for more money. I always fret over my decisions, usually needlessly. I hope I made a good one today. Check back later.

Comment

You're not fretting when you depend on your tool to make a living Greg.

I don't own any Ridgid power tools other than sweepers.

However, I did purchase the Milwaukee V28 kit that I am very impressed with.
        Ergonomics could be better but hey, you can't have everything.

I use a DeWalt 18v Nicad on the job. The batteries are terrible and Dewalt knows it. So, in my opinion you really didn't make a bad decision if your other choice was a DeWalt.

Let us know how it works out for you.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

You said that you do lots of big decks, if that's the case I would have went with a impact drill. They drive deck screws twice as fast as a regular drill, if you've never used one you should find someone who has one and borrow it, they are absolutely the bees kness.

Comment

Impact drills are have not made a big showing lately. I only know of a few guys around me that have one. I did use one once for another project, it was nice. I didn't use it for a big project though. Just fooling around. We use alot of Ipe and it's hard as steel. We have to predrill twice-a countersink hole then the pilot hole. It's a pain. I always most worried about the price versus how long the tool will actually last. My grandfather was an electrician. When he came home the war in 46 he bought a 1/2" drill from Sears. He still has the drill and it still works. We used it at my house not long ago! They don't make tools like that anymore. They are made to throw away and buy new and they know we will do exactly that. I have had 5 cordless drills from Sears. By the time I got to my third I was wondering how long it would last. I got two years +/- out of each one. And that was by returning before the warranty ran out and getting them replaced. I actually have a Craftsman 3/8" drill I bought about 10 yrs ago and I can't get the dumb thing to die! Stupid thing cost me $60 and it won't quit. Only thing I had to do was replace the trigger a few years ago. But that's the thing that really sucks. To get replacement parts you have to figure out where to go to send it in or (like I did) get a parts list order the part and replace it yourself. Triggers are easy, anybody can do it, it's the shipping cost to get the part sent to you. One trigger cost half as much as a new drill till it got to me. So I guess it all depends. Craftsman is slowly moving out of my tool box and I'm getting other brands and am happy with what I'm getting. I've got a $100 DeWalt sawzall that I've had for 6 or 7 years. I've used that for demo, tree removal, and root digging. Replaced the cord and the blade holder that's it.. I just want to stop replacing tools every couple of years and get some better stuff without going broke. I'm older and take better care of my tools. I just want some good ones.

Comment

I agree with Kent on this.

Get yourself a nice impact driver. Why don't you have one? I bought my Hitachi 12v long ago, and I remember the first time I used it. I am sure I heard angles sing.

One thing I have noticed is that the younger generation embraces the impact driver and the older generation looks at it like a toy. Maybe it's because of it's small size. Dunno

When I have to drill/countersink I use this system from Sears with my impact.
              http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00964332000P

I can't believe you build decks and don't have a impact.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Tyman, agree with you 100%.
                No better tool for the job, what many don't realize is that the impact driver is also a very capable drill. I use it as you do and have also used it to drill 2.5" holes with sawtooth bits. No longer the fear of getting punched by the battery when the drill hits a knot, with the impact you don't even notice the knots

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                  I agree with Kent on this.

Get yourself a nice impact driver. Why don't you have one? I bought my Hitachi 12v long ago, and I remember the first time I used it. I am sure I heard angles sing.

One thing I have noticed is that the younger generation embraces the impact driver and the older generation looks at it like a toy. Maybe it's because of it's small size. Dunno

When I have to drill/countersink I use this system from Sears with my impact.
                  http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00964332000P

I can't believe you build decks and don't have a impact.
                  It has nothing to do with the how small it is. I have been building decks for a long time and have survived just fine with my drills. I just need a cordless that's worth a s***. Like I said, impacts haven't made a big showing yet. If it weren't for the cord, I'd be happy with my electric. One of the guys on the other crew just got an impact. I'll watch and see how he does. It's gotta make a BIG difference for me to consider it. Right now it takes about 1 second to put a 2 1/4' screw through a 5/4' inch deckboard. That means an impact would have to take the screw out of my belt and have it screwed in...uhhh...instantly. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

It does make that much of a difference. I bought the 79 dollar 14.4v and it out performs all my 18v Makitas and DeWalts for speed. I'm not trying to be an arse, it's just the truth. At our shop we have 6 DeWalt 18v drills and 4 18v impacts and at the beggining of the day the impacts are the first to go. Plus impacts are more versatile then just driving screws, Irwin just came out with impact drill auger bits. After breaking my hand using a regular drill because the drill bit caught in a knot and the battery end shattered a bone in my hand I wanted to find a better way of drilling, and an impact is just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregman1069 View Post
                      It has nothing to do with the how small it is. I have been building decks for a long time and have survived just fine with my drills. I just need a cordless that's worth a s***. Like I said, impacts haven't made a big showing yet. If it weren't for the cord, I'd be happy with my electric. One of the guys on the other crew just got an impact. I'll watch and see how he does. It's gotta make a BIG difference for me to consider it. Right now it takes about 1 second to put a 2 1/4' screw through a 5/4' inch deckboard. That means an impact would have to take the screw out of my belt and have it screwed in...uhhh...instantly. Thanks for the input though.
                      Gregman........I jump in with the impact tool crowd on this one. I too have been around this business for a long time and find the impact tool faster and easier to use. As others have mentioned, the impact is easier on the "old" body. If you are running 3 1/2 inch screws all day into pressure treated your elbow will say thank you. I also find it easier to control the drive with an impact, I overdrive much less when doing decks. We have alot of experiance on our crews and the impacts are what they first reach for now for screwing. Drilling, not so much.
                      Try it, you'll like it and your drill will last alot longer.......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by kenthanson View Post
                        I bought the 79 dollar 14.4v and it out performs all my 18v Makitas and DeWalts for speed
                        Okay, point of order - where'd you scoop up the afforementioned $79 14.4v? Only place Home Depot has it listed on their site is under reconditioned, and it's $119?

Comment

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
                          Okay, point of order - where'd you scoop up the afforementioned $79 14.4v? Only place Home Depot has it listed on their site is under reconditioned, and it's $119?
                          Got it just before christmas, they had about 5 left when I got mine, wish I would have got another one, since the 79 dollar kit only came with one battery, you live you learn.

Comment

i purchased the 18 volt drill 2 years ago now after purchasing the craftsman and having to get a replacement fr the same trigger problem as the first person here stated. sears did replace the drill but i wanted a better pro rated model. i picked the ridgid 18 volt ni cad battery model.
                            i never looked at my craftsman drill again. last winter i purchased a 14.4 volt impact driver. wow what tool, best thing i ever purchased, drive a screw, drive a lag bolt, or tighten a bolt on a deck nothing faster or better i think.
                            i ended up buying the 14.4 drill when it was sale to get a second battery ( the impact came with only one battery) now have the spare batteries i needed. since then i purchased the 18 volt drill and impact driver combo kit. impact drivers do the work without the weight of a drill, easy to use....never looking back
                            too bad craftsman yor retired

Comment

I agree with everyone else - get an impact. To pair up the Ridgid MaxSelect impact driver with your 18 volt compact drill would make a really sweet set, and make good use of your lithium batteries. It's a $100 addition, and it will be completely worth it. Once you use an impact for a few weeks, you wonder how you ever lived without it before.

Comment

Working...
                              X