X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zero-clearance inserts

Hello, all. I'm pleased to finally work up the courage to post, after just "lurking" for so long.

This last weekend I picked up a complete, used TS3650 for what I consider a ridiculously low price ($225). I have been impressed with the model ever since I assembled a new one for my son a couple of years ago, and I wanted something to augment my 30-year old Shopsmith equipment.

My question is: the user manual refers to several different throat plate inserts -- zero-clearance, molding, dado, etc. -- that didn't get handed over when I took delivery. I imagine I'll have to make my own zero-clearance insert for the saw blade, but what about the others? Were there alternate inserts included with a new saw from the store/factory? Are there such things available from Ridgid, or will I have to make all of them?

Thanks, folks!

Re: zero-clearance inserts

Originally posted by chipsndust View Post
    Hello, all. I'm pleased to finally work up the courage to post, after just "lurking" for so long.

This last weekend I picked up a complete, used TS3650 for what I consider a ridiculously low price ($225). I have been impressed with the model ever since I assembled a new one for my son a couple of years ago, and I wanted something to augment my 30-year old Shopsmith equipment.

My question is: the user manual refers to several different throat plate inserts -- zero-clearance, molding, dado, etc. -- that didn't get handed over when I took delivery. I imagine I'll have to make my own zero-clearance insert for the saw blade, but what about the others? Were there alternate inserts included with a new saw from the store/factory? Are there such things available from Ridgid, or will I have to make all of them?

Thanks, folks!
    The dado/moulding is the same thing it wasn't included with the saw, but you can buy a nice metal one from RIDGID parts (really Gardner).

After having a RIDGID ZCI shatter this weekend, I am of the opinion that making them is better than buying them (because they are made of plastic, and don't have very much too them).

Comment

The saw doesn't include any of those inserts when it's new. They need to be ordered seperately anyway. Only the standard insert comes with the saw. You can easily make all those yourself and there are lots of guides here on how to do it. Just make several blanks and you can customize them depending on the blade you'll be using.

Comment

Thanks, guys, for the prompt reply. It's what I expected, really. I've made some ZCIs for my Shopsmith (I hope mentioning this isn't blasphemy in this forum), so I know how, but what might you suggest about providing the "toe" on the factory steel insert that keeps it down on the table at the back end?

BTW, I discovered that ZCIs can be made quite cheaply from plastic cutting boards (you know, for slicing veggies in the kitchen) often found in dollar stores.

Comment

Originally posted by chipsndust View Post
          Thanks, guys, for the prompt reply. It's what I expected, really. I've made some ZCIs for my Shopsmith (I hope mentioning this isn't blasphemy in this forum), so I know how, but what might you suggest about providing the "toe" on the factory steel insert that keeps it down on the table at the back end?
          You'll find that RIDGID is very tolerant about letting people discuss all brands of power tools, and letting people criticize their (RIDGID) tools.

I haven't done it yet, but lots of people use washers or a nail.

Comment

I used a small screw and clipped the head off. Works perfectly.

Comment

I haven't bothered with the "toe" part since my first ZCI. Mine are made pretty tight, and if they're even a little loose, a bit of painters tape will tighten them right up in the slot. I also use painter's tape to add to the bottom if a part is a little low, or sand if it's a bit high.

Thanks for the tip on the cutting boards, that's a good idea. The local Dollar General has em cheap. Since I'm out of plywood scraps, those'll do great!

I, too, have a ShopSmith. Mine's an old ER-10 model. I use it only as a lathe, since I have the 3650 TS. It's a great tool, and I love using it! Hope you have many many years with yours.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
              X