Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found testicles, now need tools!

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    I would say that having a good socket set is more important than having pretty much any tool in a cordless variety. If you don't have a good complement of basic hand tools, skip the expensive high-quality power tools until you do and just buy what you need to get by. The sockets and hand tools should last literally forever. You can usually get by without a power tool, but you can't get by without the basic hand tools.
    I agree depending on the work you do. When I started out doing auto mechanic work I did not buy quality sockets and I quickly learned a good lesson. The next socket set I bought was SnapOn six point impacts, never broke one in thirty years! Nowadays there are several manufacturers who back up their sockets so you don't have to go extreme like I did. Craftsman are fine and I've never had a problem with the folks at Sears for the few times I had to return a broken socket or wrench that failed. Generally speaking I do agree that good hand tools should be the foundation of your tool inventory. Quality Cresent and flare nut wrenches last a lifetime. Years back I bought a cheapo set of large Torx sockets from Harbor Freight and they twisted as I applied force, that does not happen with quality tools.

Comment

Frank, when I grow up, I wanna be you.

For what it's worth, the wife's gift was completely uncalled for, and I kept it more out of "awww!" than anything else. Now that I think of it though, it's a wonderful gift. An epic, thoughtful gesture. Because now I can go snag me whatever tools I want, and if she bats an eyelid I can simply say "Well, when you bought me a tool to start my collection, I thought you meant you want me to get moving on fixing stuff around the house!"

Honestly, I wouldn't even be doing it for me. I'm doing it for her.

I love her that much.

Comment

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
        Frank, when I grow up, I wanna be you.

For what it's worth, the wife's gift was completely uncalled for, and I kept it more out of "awww!" than anything else. Now that I think of it though, it's a wonderful gift. An epic, thoughtful gesture. Because now I can go snag me whatever tools I want, and if she bats an eyelid I can simply say "Well, when you bought me a tool to start my collection, I thought you meant you want me to get moving on fixing stuff around the house!"

Honestly, I wouldn't even be doing it for me. I'm doing it for her.

I love her that much.
        Trust me, I like tools just fine but if it wasn't for Love and responsibility I'd be doing something very different than maintaining a house and property. I hope you realize I was just joking around about all that overkill? The kind of investment you mentioned will make a big impact regarding the repairs and projects you can do around the house. If you find you really enjoy this kind of work and possibly building things as well, then you purchase what you need in the way of tools. All joking aside, houses and tools don't mean anything compared to the magic of love. I hope yours endures, take care.

Comment

Wood Junkie, I have to say that my experience with Ryobi has been pretty poor. I currently own a corded circular saw that I've had problems with, and I did have a drill that wouldn't hold a charge for love nor money after just a couple of months use. In terms of cost, I've noticed that I can get a reconditioned Ridgid set for the same price as a comparable Ryobi kit - and would much rather have the safety of the lifetime warranty.
          We are professional contractors and have a large number of Ridgid corded and cordless tools as well as most of the other top brands. I used a Ryobi 18V NiCad set of tools a few years ago and it was not a positive experiance due mostly to the extremely limited runtime of the NIcad batts.
          Since the introduction of the Ryobi LI batteries I have seen many positive posts on this forum. If I were a home owner and knowing HD's liberal return policy I would give the Ryobi tools a good look. They have attractive price points and offer an extensive line of tools. I wish their cousin's at Ridgid would add some of the models they offer.
          If I remember correctly the "rebuilt" Ridgid tools unfortunately don't include the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, but just a one year warranty.
          Good luck and stay within your comfort zone. Your wife has probably already noticed your enhanced manhood and will become more demanding. If you resort to medical aids, it's important to remember that if you have one lasting longer than four hours.......contact somebody!!!
          Last edited by roadrashray; 08-26-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I am a tool whore I always buy the best I can afford at the time, Makita and Milwaukee Corded, Dewalt Cordless, OLD OLD Craftsman table saw/ Band saw (CAST IRON) Craftsman mechanics tools, Ridgid/General drain cleaning tools, Ridgid plumbing tools! But I used my tools to make my living, pay for college, build my "reputation," (I had to throw that in) I will use them to build my house shortly, but I am young, and I want tools to last, I want to be able to hand them down to my kids, maybe no the cordless, but my hand tools and corded tools I do forsee. I have been patient with my tool collection and have been building it up slowly but i think the you should ALWAYS, buy the best you can afford, If that means RYOBI, so be it! They work and for the price as much as I hate to admit it..... They give you one he77 of a bang for the buck!

Comment

I'd love a lithium set, but am content enough with NiCd, especially given that both sets I've looked at work with lithium batteries - which I can snag down the road when the NiCd starts to die
              FYI: Last month HD was clearing out some 18V Ni-Cad kits from Ridgid + Milwaukee. Local HD has R9666 18V Ni-Cad Ridgid kit drill/driver+impact $134.25 with LLSA option.
              Last edited by reConx; 08-26-2008, 11:42 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                I have been patient with my tool collection and have been building it up slowly but i think the you should ALWAYS, buy the best you can afford, If that means RYOBI, so be it! They work and for the price as much as I hate to admit it..... They give you one he77 of a bang for the buck!
                I've seen lots of Ryobi drills on the tradesmen's carts at work.

Also, quantity has a quality of its own. If you can afford 1 premium brand tool and 2 Ryobi tools, it can be more useful to have the two Ryobi tools that have a different purpose. For example, if you can buy a Bosch jig saw, Ridgid Circ saw, or a Ryobi Jig saw AND circ saw; then having the jig saw which is useful for some things and the circ saw which is useful for other things can provide you a better quality output than if you just get the one tool.

Also when talking about saws, the blade often matters more than the saw itself. My Ryobi jig saw sucks with a stock blade, and performance is greatly improved with a Bosch blade.

As long as you aren't frustrated by the tool, then I wouldn't worry about the durablity much if you are a homeowner. If you find that you burn it out, then it is a sign to get a better tool; but you may find that it lasts longer than you expect.

Comment

Wow, now in addition to a guy who found the family jewels, we've got a tool whore too! What's next? a plumber pimp? LOL
                  Cheers,
                  Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                    Wow, now in addition to a guy who found the family jewels, we've got a tool whore too! What's next? a plumber pimp? LOL
                    Cheers,
                    Jim Don
                    I resigned form that position years ago!

Comment

Wood Junkie, I have to say that my experience with Ryobi has been pretty poor. I currently own a corded circular saw that I've had problems with, and I did have a drill that wouldn't hold a charge for love nor money after just a couple of months use. In terms of cost, I've noticed that I can get a reconditioned Ridgid set for the same price as a comparable Ryobi kit - and would much rather have the safety of the lifetime warranty.
                      I hear ya. Frankly, I also think the corded Ryobi tools are junk. In fact, I don't own a single corded Ryobi item. All of my corded tools are 'better' brands.. DeWalt, P-C and the like. But for the cordless set, the diversity of the One+ is huge, and I've had great usage of these tools for 2 years. Something to think about and remember: There is a 'method' to caring for your batteries, whether they be NiCad, NiMH, and even LIon. Proper charging and care makes all the difference.

Here's a good news story tie-in: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/perso...uff/index.html
                      Point / punch-line: "Plain and simple, a partner who provides more resources -- wealth, shelter, home repairs -- is seen as more attractive and stands to reap more sexual rewards."

Let the tool buying begin!
                      Last edited by Wood_Junkie; 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Well, thanks to all of your input, I'm going to do it piecemeal - rather than plopping down on a kit that's going to contain tools I likely won't need, I'll invest a wee bit of cash in one tool a month/two months. All I REALLY need is a drill, jigsaw, and maybe a replacement circular saw. I wish to God I still had the cardboard packaging for that Ryobi so I could return the damn thing...

Frank, my wife is friggin' awesome. She watches footy with me (real football, not the silly American flavour - but she watches that too), buys me beer, and rubs my head. Can't ask for any more. But she does have the Typical Female Condition (TFC™) of enjoying spending money on extremely odd things (especially if they're on sale, which apparently saves us money) but throwing a wobbler if I drop more than $100 without permission...

Speaking of Home Depot, what's the LLSA? Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, I take it? Don't Ridgid tools come with a lifetime agreement anyways, or do you recommend getting some sort of extended plan from Home Depot?

Comment

Speaking of Home Depot, what's the LLSA? Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, I take it? Don't Ridgid tools come with a lifetime agreement anyways, or do you recommend getting some sort of extended plan from Home Depot?
                          The RIDGID tools only come with a lifetime agreement if you register for it within 90 days of purchase; and you have to buy the tools new not reconditioned.

Comment

Well, thanks to all of your input, I'm going to do it piecemeal - rather than plopping down on a kit that's going to contain tools I likely won't need, I'll invest a wee bit of cash in one tool a month/two months. All I REALLY need is a drill, jigsaw, and maybe a replacement circular saw. I wish to God I still had the cardboard packaging for that Ryobi so I could return the damn thing...
                            Really consider corded ones then, because that way you can easily mix and match the best of breed tools (e.g., Bosch gets pretty very good jig saw reviews, but PC has a circ saw with dust collection, whcih I don't think Bosch has).

Frank, my wife is friggin' awesome. She watches footy with me (real football, not the silly American flavour - but she watches that too), buys me beer, and rubs my head. Can't ask for any more. But she does have the Typical Female Condition (TFC™) of enjoying spending money on extremely odd things (especially if they're on sale, which apparently saves us money) but throwing a wobbler if I drop more than $100 without permission...
                            I never got the sale thing either, until the forums started turning me on to great deals. I know getting $120 off a router and $100 of a dust collector this month saved us $220, but it still cost $150.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                              I never got the sale thing either, until the forums started turning me on to great deals. I know getting $120 off a router and $100 of a dust collector this month saved us $220, but it still cost $150.
                              If it's stuff you actually need/want/use then it's one thing - but my wife does things like dropping a couple hundred bucks on fabric and redoing a window seat because the fabric was on sale - even though it's not really that different to what was there before. Or buying clothes a week after she went clothes shopping, because a store is having a sale (and buying a half dozen things she already has six of)

Comment

Hey, I got my family jewels when I bought my first house five years ago. I started with a Ryobi kit and that worked well for most of the time. I then graduated to the 18v Ridgid line and love their lifetime warranty. I accidentally broke two tools and they fixed them both free of charge. They're awesome.

Now though, I'll give you some food for thought. Get lithium buddy. I would hate it when I would have a long day of work, go grab a battery to only find out that it's lost its charge since I hadn't charged it in a month. That doesn't happen with lithium batteries. You can leave em in the garage for months and they still hold their charge. Not only that, they're lighter, have the same amount of power from the first use to the last use, and of course, they give you more power!

Be careful when NOT buying a kit. I mean, if you're a diy'er, then you should get the kit. If you're a pro, then you probably want a certain brand for a particular tool. For you though, it's more important to have one line of batteries for all your tools. I have 4 batteries always lying around which is more than enough with a a 30 minute recharge. I just had a deck project and went from tool to tool so easily because all I had to do was switch batteries here and there. Make it easy on yourself!

Finally, get the impactor!!! They are awesome. If you don't know what they do or how they differ from a regular drill, ask and we'll tell ya. I don't have a Ridgid impactor, I have the Bosch one, and man I love it. Imagine driving in those screws with a drill weighing only 2 pounds but with more power than your typical 18v drill! Thats how good impact drills are. They're one of those tools that once you get one, you'll never look back.

ghost
                                Last edited by ghost; 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X