Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found testicles, now need tools!

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
    If it's stuff you actually need/want/use then it's one thing - but my wife does things like dropping a couple hundred bucks on fabric and redoing a window seat because the fabric was on sale - even though it's not really that different to what was there before. Or buying clothes a week after she went clothes shopping, because a store is having a sale (and buying a half dozen things she already has six of)
    Your wife gets satisfaction from from making things look new and different and that's a good use of time and talent. I suggest that if you folks can afford her habit then no harm, but if it's becoming a problem then I suggest she try to do it through a small business venture either picking up small pieces of furniture whcih she can redo and resell or if she'd really good redoing a customer's piece. My wife and I have argued over money throughout our marriage and it is unfortunate. We should have sat down with a financial advisor years ago and gone on a budget and done some forced investments. Left on our own we sometimes spent foolishly and it hurt us.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimDon
      Wow, now in addition to a guy who found the family jewels, we've got a tool whore too! What's next? a plumber pimp? LOL
      Cheers,
      Jim Don

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      I resigned form that position years ago!
      Being a plumber paid better?

Comment

Kind of looks like Adam (drtyhands) no?
        Last edited by wrench spinner; 08-26-2008, 04:30 PM. Reason: I had too

Comment

Can't tell...all I see is a half naked blond.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This tread keeps getting better!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Can't tell...all I see is a half naked blond.

See Dunbar I contribute to this forum!!

Comment

Nice shirt! It takes a real man to wear pink pants. Are they from Macy's?
                I think you need to change your avatar.

Comment

Dude, too bad your nards didn't show up around January. Home Depot was blowing out the Ultimate 8-piece 18V kit for a ridiculous $299. The kit has everything, including the useless cordless caulk gun (finally had the chance to use it last weekend. My opinion remains WTF??!!!.) Impact driver is amazing!!!

Anyway, my loyalty remains with Ridgid, so that would be my recommendation. DeWalt is overrated.
                  Last edited by joe_d; 08-28-2008, 01:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo
                  Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Joe, I'm just impressed they showed up at all. Good lookin' shed, by the way!

And now I'm completely depressed. Cause I always wanted a battery powered caulk gun. (Insert mandatory caulk and testicles joke here.)

I am rather happy, since the nice chaps at Home Depot let me returned the used and sans packaging Ryobi circular saw for store credit. He actually screwed up and gave me store credit for a $179 mitre saw - but after much internal turmoil, I mentioned he made a mistake, and that the saw was actually just $69. Hopefully karma will slide my way and repay my stupid honesty!

Comment

Mick,

Thanks on the shed. My buddy and I built it with Ridgid and Coors Light last summer. It was a lot of fun!

Oh....look, it's my 100th post. One would think I was just posting to get to that milestone. Hmmm.
                      Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Okay folks, it's official. I've been given the green light by She Who Must Be Obeyed™ to drop $400 on tools. Ooh, and I've got store credit lurking around, so say $475.

To begin/improve my collection, I NEED a new drill and circular saw. I'd LIKE a jigsaw, and since you all praised it to high heaven, an impact driver. In fact, if I'm tackling a deck, it sounds like this is a must.

I'm thinking the compact Ridgid ZRR86006 for my drilling needs. It's lithium, but not a hammer. That said, I can't see myself doing anything that involves masonry for the forseeable future, so could cross that bridge when I come to it. Price is $187 (or $105 reconditioned, but I think the reconditioned version comes with just one battery.)

For my circular saw, I was thinking the Porter Cable 324MAG. Given that I do a lot of work in the garage, the dust collector option is useful. $131 shipped from Amazon.

That leaves me a meagre $157. For my jigsaw I was thinking of going cordless, since if I'm messing around on a sheet of plywood, I'd rather there wasn't a cord in the way. HD had a nice deal on a refurbished max select for $79 but it's out of stock. The new option is $119, but it's sans battery. There is a refurbished combo kit available - $169 would get me the Max HC 18v drill and jigsaw...

Impact driver? Have to go Ridgid to keep the batteries straight. $119 refurbished, or $117 new without battery.

What're your thoughts on this, or is there another route I can go? I know there's a four-piece combo kit (R964) that would get me a lithium drill, impact wrench, sawzall and circular saw, but the sawzall is down the priority list, and the circular saw, while nice, doesn't measure up to the Porter Cable, from what I've read...

Comment

Oh, and by the way Joe - my project next year is going to be building a studio in my backyard, terrain and inspections permitting. Something along these lines:

Yeah. I firmly expect to be able to go from unable to decide on a #@#$ drill to being able to build THAT in a couple of months...

Comment

Uber,
                            Good luck with your tool buying. Saw that you want to build a deck right off the bat. Make sure you don't neglect a ledger board and watch out for where it should all be flashed. Good luck,
                            Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
                              Okay folks, it's official. I've been given the green light by She Who Must Be Obeyed™ to drop $400 on tools. Ooh, and I've got store credit lurking around, so say $475.

To begin/improve my collection, I NEED a new drill and circular saw. I'd LIKE a jigsaw, and since you all praised it to high heaven, an impact driver. In fact, if I'm tackling a deck, it sounds like this is a must.

I'm thinking the compact Ridgid ZRR86006 for my drilling needs. It's lithium, but not a hammer. That said, I can't see myself doing anything that involves masonry for the forseeable future, so could cross that bridge when I come to it. Price is $187 (or $105 reconditioned, but I think the reconditioned version comes with just one battery.)

For my circular saw, I was thinking the Porter Cable 324MAG. Given that I do a lot of work in the garage, the dust collector option is useful. $131 shipped from Amazon.

That leaves me a meagre $157. For my jigsaw I was thinking of going cordless, since if I'm messing around on a sheet of plywood, I'd rather there wasn't a cord in the way. HD had a nice deal on a refurbished max select for $79 but it's out of stock. The new option is $119, but it's sans battery. There is a refurbished combo kit available - $169 would get me the Max HC 18v drill and jigsaw...

Impact driver? Have to go Ridgid to keep the batteries straight. $119 refurbished, or $117 new without battery.

What're your thoughts on this, or is there another route I can go? I know there's a four-piece combo kit (R964) that would get me a lithium drill, impact wrench, sawzall and circular saw, but the sawzall is down the priority list, and the circular saw, while nice, doesn't measure up to the Porter Cable, from what I've read...
                              Congratulations on manning it up with the little woman and slapping some money out of her! Feels good doesn't it.
                              Now on to these tool choices. Let me be the first of several hundred to offer a suggestion or two.
                              I love your choice of the Ridgid R86006 18V LI compact drill (my personal favorite all around cordless drill) and the Ridgid Maxselect impact would be the natural mate with that drill as you would be able to share the drills 18V LI batts. The bad news is unfortunately the Maxselect impact in the 18V mode is probably the poorest performer of all impacts in the 18V catagory(someplace on here is a recent test report and the 18V Maxselect was the worst performer). I can attest to that fact as we have a couple of the Ridgid Maxselect impacts and in the 18V mode they are awful. Our Ridgid 14.4V impacts will run circles around them.
                              What to do? I am going to make a suggestion that will shock a few guys on this forum who think I am an unmitigated Ridgid wh___. Given your budget and what you are trying to accomplish I recommend the Makita 18V LI compact drill and impact tool set. It is available at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...+1240+90401for $269, however many times can be found on other sites at better prices. I have used both of these tools in the field and they are excellent performers. (check out some of the on line tests) The impact is so small and light it fits in your hand like an old love, yet is a strong performer.
                              Now on to the circular saw and I will return to form. I use one on a daily basis and far prefer a worm drive saw. Many will say they are too heavy, however I find that weight can be turned to advantage when crosscutting by holding the board on edge at an angle and letting the weight of the saw pull it through the cut. We recently purchased the Ridgid Magnesium worm drive http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...toreNum=8125to complement the two old worm Skills we have had for years. The Ridgid mag. is a couple of pounds lighter than the older skill saws and to me is a great saw. I also like the fact that the blade is on the left which makes it easier to site down my cut and I also find the worm drive easier to hold on line when making rips. It is $169 which is less than the Porter Cable you had chosen. I don't remember using a Porter Cable circ saw lately, however their tools have always been adaquate performers although the price you mentioned seems a little high for a sidewinder.
                              Speaking of sidewinder Ridgid offers a 15amp circ saw http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125 that I think is a very good value for $99 and would help keep things together for your $475 budget.
                              Soooooooo we have the Makita cordless drill and impact for $269 and the Ridgid sidewinder for $99 or worm drive for $169. This leaves the jig saw and $107 if you buy the Ridgid sidewinder.
                              We have a couple of the Maxselect jigsaws and they perform OK as jobsite saws however they are borderline performers and would only be attractive if you would be using the other Ridgid cordless tools.
                              For real jigsaw work we use the Bosch orbital jigsaw http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02106+354which is a superior performer. Unfortunately it is $139 which will put you a few dollars over budget. But lets face it, you knew that would happen, didn't you.
                              You are correct in thinking the 18V combo set would be inadequate for your needs. The impact tool is a dog and the circ saw is underpowered for your needs.
                              Well, there it is the gauntlet is thrown down. Let the advisories begin.....Ray
                              Last edited by roadrashray; 08-28-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Ray, thanks for the input. That Makita looks like an excellent option, although given the reports I've gotten on the Ridgid (yours included) I'm loath to go with another brand. I've seen the 14.4v Ridgid impact driver either reconditioned with battery and charger for $119 on the HD site, or $69.95 new on ebay - without battery or charger. (Found the battery for another $40 new, and I assume that the charger that comes with the Lion drill will charge the 14.4v?)

One thing I noticed on the HD site is that it gives the tool weight as 11.5lbs? That seems a little hefty for such a compact and comparatively small tool? Especially compared to the Makita which is just 2.8lbs - surely that's incorrect?

As to the circular saw, I've sniffed around online considerably today (I'm a graphic designer, I sit in front of a computer all day and pretend to work. Hey, it's a living!) and found a lot of people raving about the DeWalt DW378G - here's one review I found. Any input on this "hypoid" saw?

If those are the only three tools I get for my money, and have to forgo the jigsaw for a while, so be it. As someone once told me, you get what you pay for, and when you buy cheap, you buy twice. So, rather get three tools that will give me all I need and last, as opposed to four that I may not be satisfied with (not knocking the Makita!)

Comment

Working...
                                X