Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Found testicles, now need tools!

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
    Ray, thanks for the input. That Makita looks like an excellent option, although given the reports I've gotten on the Ridgid (yours included) I'm loath to go with another brand. I've seen the 14.4v Ridgid impact driver either reconditioned with battery and charger for $119 on the HD site, or $69.95 new on ebay - without battery or charger. (Found the battery for another $40 new, and I assume that the charger that comes with the Lion drill will charge the 14.4v?)
    I understand the desire to stick with Ridgid for the LLSA and cross compatability of tools. However I will suggest we made a commitment to Ridgid due to the 24V/18V LI and Maxselect tools and the very nice introductory price packages being offered at the time. Most of those Ridgid tools are very good and have performed well. A major weak point in the Ridgid tool line is the impact tool. The reality is the Maxselect impact is a very poor design and the 14.4 impact is VERY heavy with it's 2.5Ah batt. which is necessary because the smaller one has no run time. I say it is a major point because the impact is a tool that is used alot and like other things in life, size does matter. Only in the case of impact tools, smaller is better. I can say very honestly if I were a DIYer I would probably chose the Makita set I suggested. They are light, beautifully designed tools that feel perfect in the hand and can be used all day with minimum fatique.
    One thing I noticed on the HD site is that it gives the tool weight as 11.5lbs? That seems a little hefty for such a compact and comparatively small tool? Especially compared to the Makita which is just 2.8lbs - surely that's incorrect?..................
    You are very perceptive. The 14.4 with bat is around 4 pounds, the weight shown is for the complete set with batts, impact, and charger
    As to the circular saw, I've sniffed around online considerably today (I'm a graphic designer, I sit in front of a computer all day and pretend to work. Hey, it's a living!) and found a lot of people raving about the DeWalt DW378G - here's one review I found. Any input on this "hypoid" saw?.................
    I have no personal experiance with that saw, however did note that it didn't fare very well in the www.finehomebuilding.com worm drive saw test. See here...... http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ms=89580,65506
    If those are the only three tools I get for my money, and have to forgo the jigsaw for a while, so be it. As someone once told me, you get what you pay for, and when you buy cheap, you buy twice. So, rather get three tools that will give me all I need and last, as opposed to four that I may not be satisfied with (not knocking the Makita!)
    ...............Good luck with your choices. Actually all the options you are considering are good tools from reputable companies so you are in a win, win situation......Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 08-29-2008, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Ray,

Next time that RV is around SF Bay area way, I owe you a beer. Just returned from Home Depot after spending some time comparing them in the store, armed with the Makita kit, and am very happy with my choice. The drill is slightly lighter than the Ridgid I was eyeing, and felt almost toy-like. But when I fired it up, I think it's easily got enough grunt for my needs.

The impact driver is a whole other story. Again, light to the point where it almost feels like a toy, but if I'm pounding deck screws all day, I know I'd rather have this than the behemoth Ridgid driver - the Max Select battery alone weighed more than the entire Makita tool with 18v battery.

To top it off, I got a great deal. Amazon has the LCT200W kit for $253 - Home Depot not only matched it, but beat it by 10% of the difference. But the real clincher was a free battery - Makita are offering a free 18v 3.0mAh LI-ion battery with this kit via mail. So drill, impact driver, 2 18v 1.5mah batteries, and 1 18v 3.0mah battery - for less than $250 with tax. Excellent.

Now for some saw shopping!
      Last edited by ubermick; 08-29-2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Uber,
        You picked a good one. Some contractor friends of mine have those Maks, and just love them. They've been in use for over a year now and no problems. Good choice.
        Cheers,
        Jim Don

Comment

Yep, I've still got a Makita 7.2v that does the job. You won't go wrong with that brand.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
            Uber,
            You picked a good one. Some contractor friends of mine have those Maks, and just love them. They've been in use for over a year now and no problems. Good choice.
            Cheers,
            Jim Don
            Thanks Jim, appreciated. I'm a bit bummed I didn't go with Ridgid - or I suppose the right way of putting it is that I'm a bit bummed Ridgid didn't have the tools on offer that suited me. I love the lifetime warranty, I love the comfort of knowing that screwy batteries are covered for life, and I love the wide range of cordless products they have which are all interchangeable (not to the extent of the Ryobi stuff, but..)

Comment

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
              Oh, and by the way Joe - my project next year is going to be building a studio in my backyard, terrain and inspections permitting
              You may not like to bust your budget but when the funds become available you might consider a good compound miter saw. A properly tuned miter saw will provide precise cuts to speed up your project. You got one of the top drill/driver+impact kits to fasten + drill. Now its time for cutting that lumber...

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                You may not like to bust your budget but when the funds become available you might consider a good compound miter saw. A properly tuned miter saw will provide precise cuts to speed up your project. You got one of the top drill/driver+impact kits to fasten + drill. Now its time for cutting that lumber...
                Already snagged a 12" Ridgid compound mitre saw last month. Housewarming gift from my realtor! Probably should have returned it for the sliding version, but it can handle 2x4s and 2x6s without issue, and don't think I'll be cutting much bigger than that...

Comment

Uber,
                  I've seen way too many homeowners buy themselves a slider only to lament the fact that they bought way too big for what they want/need. Even a lot of contractors will pull out a CMS before they pull out a slider cause of the weight and size issue. If you aren't doing a whole lot of really big stuff that would require that slider (and frankly most homeowners don't), then you're good to go with that Ridgid CMS you got, and what a snag that was!!! Good job. If you have an occasional 2x12 to cross cut, after you get yourself a circ saw, buy one of those inexpensive Stanley saw guides for it. Will give you a lot of precise angle cuts and help out with that 2x12 cross cut.
                  Cheers,
                  Jim Don

PS, if you've got bigger than what your CMS can handle, you make your first cut as deep as you can with it, then flip it around and line up the saw blade to match up with your first cut and finish it off. Works every time, just keep your finger off the trigger when you're lining it up.
                  Last edited by JimDon; 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM. Reason: Added a thought

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                    PS, if you've got bigger than what your CMS can handle, you make your first cut as deep as you can with it, then flip it around and line up the saw blade to match up with your first cut and finish it off. Works every time, just keep your finger off the trigger when you're lining it up.
                    I've tried that a couple of times, but I think it is just easier to use a circular saw with a guide (say a scrap 1x2) clamped to the piece or a home made guide like this one (I have a 3' and an 8' one):

If you've got a 2x12 it is probably easier to cut it with the moveable power tool and a stationary workpiece anyway as opposed to a heavy moveable workpiece and a stationary tool.

BTW, You've got a pretty cool realtor.

Comment

yeah i **** with craftsman for the great warranty's they offer.. since i beat the hell out of my tools every day. currently running with one of there combo kits

Comment

If you still have any bucks left, check out the Bosch JS5 jig saw. Recently reviewed (American Woodworker, I think) very highly and it's only $70. It's not the powerhouse of its bigger cousins, but it has a lot of high end features (blower, multiple orbital settings, and the usual Bosch quality, all for much less than the cost of most comparable jig saws.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                          If you still have any bucks left, check out the Bosch JS5 jig saw. Recently reviewed (American Woodworker, I think) very highly and it's only $70. It's not the powerhouse of its bigger cousins, but it has a lot of high end features (blower, multiple orbital settings, and the usual Bosch quality, all for much less than the cost of most comparable jig saws.
                          i'm a plumber i don't really use jig saws..?

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                            Congratulations on manning it up with the little woman and slapping some money out of her! Feels good doesn't it.
                            Now on to these tool choices. Let me be the first of several hundred to offer a suggestion or two.
                            I love your choice of the Ridgid R86006 18V LI compact drill (my personal favorite all around cordless drill) and the Ridgid Maxselect impact would be the natural mate with that drill as you would be able to share the drills 18V LI batts. The bad news is unfortunately the Maxselect impact in the 18V mode is probably the poorest performer of all impacts in the 18V catagory(someplace on here is a recent test report and the 18V Maxselect was the worst performer). I can attest to that fact as we have a couple of the Ridgid Maxselect impacts and in the 18V mode they are awful. Our Ridgid 14.4V impacts will run circles around them.
                            What to do? I am going to make a suggestion that will shock a few guys on this forum who think I am an unmitigated Ridgid wh___. Given your budget and what you are trying to accomplish I recommend the Makita 18V LI compact drill and impact tool set. It is available at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...+1240+90401for $269, however many times can be found on other sites at better prices. I have used both of these tools in the field and they are excellent performers. (check out some of the on line tests) The impact is so small and light it fits in your hand like an old love, yet is a strong performer.
                            Now on to the circular saw and I will return to form. I use one on a daily basis and far prefer a worm drive saw. Many will say they are too heavy, however I find that weight can be turned to advantage when crosscutting by holding the board on edge at an angle and letting the weight of the saw pull it through the cut. We recently purchased the Ridgid Magnesium worm drive http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...toreNum=8125to complement the two old worm Skills we have had for years. The Ridgid mag. is a couple of pounds lighter than the older skill saws and to me is a great saw. I also like the fact that the blade is on the left which makes it easier to site down my cut and I also find the worm drive easier to hold on line when making rips. It is $169 which is less than the Porter Cable you had chosen. I don't remember using a Porter Cable circ saw lately, however their tools have always been adaquate performers although the price you mentioned seems a little high for a sidewinder.
                            Speaking of sidewinder Ridgid offers a 15amp circ saw http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125 that I think is a very good value for $99 and would help keep things together for your $475 budget.
                            Soooooooo we have the Makita cordless drill and impact for $269 and the Ridgid sidewinder for $99 or worm drive for $169. This leaves the jig saw and $107 if you buy the Ridgid sidewinder.
                            We have a couple of the Maxselect jigsaws and they perform OK as jobsite saws however they are borderline performers and would only be attractive if you would be using the other Ridgid cordless tools.
                            For real jigsaw work we use the Bosch orbital jigsaw http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...02106+354which is a superior performer. Unfortunately it is $139 which will put you a few dollars over budget. But lets face it, you knew that would happen, didn't you.
                            You are correct in thinking the 18V combo set would be inadequate for your needs. The impact tool is a dog and the circ saw is underpowered for your needs.
                            Well, there it is the gauntlet is thrown down. Let the advisories begin.....Ray

I actually went out and just bought the Ridgid R3202 Circular Saw, Ridgid MS1250LZA Miter Saw w/ Laser line, and the Bosch 1587AVSP. All of these performed as expected. The laserline was actually right on.

Comment

Congrats on finding the "jewels" and starting on a new journey of discovery.

You know how compatible your mate is when she sends you out to a garage sale she passed on the way home to pickup a quilt she saw and you return with a Triumph Bonneville 750 - and no quilt (in all honesty, they had already sold it). Or when you casually announce that the 18 wheeler pulling up to the driveway and dropping the lift gate is delivering your "new" vertical mill that you won on eBay last week.

I might be labeled a tool whore, if so I inherited the problem from my father who not only still has tools from the 1930's but still has parts from a '48 Chevy that he sold in 1961 "just in case he ever needs them one day". I retired from my first career as a master electrician in 1998 and kept most of my tools. I still regret letting my new wife talk me into selling my Ridgid 141 and 300 power head, my GD power puller set and my Greenlee 777 hydraulic bender. Not that I've needed to thread or bend any 3-4" conduit, but I might need to one day.

It's hard to justify to my wife the need for a complete complement of tools that could equip a decent mechanics, electrical and machine shop but I keep explaining to her that I can make part to fix anything. Like the nut that came of the mower last week. It only took 20 minutes of setup time and a scrap piece of 12L14 5/8" hex stock to face off, bore and thread a new nut. And I got to spend some quality time with my lathe, mill and horizontal band saw. Of course in her female logic, she pointed out that Lowes is only a 5 minute walk across the park bridge or a 2 minute trip by car and I could have bought that nut for $0.30. I keep telling her that she just doesn't get it. Of course she does appreciate my tool collection when I have the ability to remove a spoon that a kid tossed into one of her washers and got lodged in the pump. All on a Sunday evening when GE service just informed her there is a 2 week wait for a service tech.

I keep telling her, "It's a guy thing".
                              Last edited by blackcube; 10-04-2008, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Cordless is great for light low amperage tools. I love cordless drills and impact drivers. Cordless circular saws etc...no thanks.

Just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X