Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found testicles, now need tools!

Howyeh folks!

Well, my wife and I just bought a house, and with it finally came the primal urge to get out from behind my desk and build things. I cobbled together a workbench with the rather useless selection of tools at my disposal, and now am harassing the wife with longing for trips to the hardware store. It's addictive - I want to see what I can build next, and am even casting an eye to the back deck and thinking "Hmm, I could do that."

So I've been looking around at combo kits, and have narrowed it down to the usual two - DeWalt or Ridgid. DeWalt... I mean, I live in California so it's ALL about the label, and Amazon has a screaming deal on the DC4CPKA kit - hammer drill, recip saw, and iddybiddy circular saw - for $289 including shipped.
    But that trim saw is kinda miniscule, and the reciprocating saw is something I'm not sure I'd need (much prefer a jigsaw). When I look at Ridgid, they have a reconditioned set that matches the DeWalt, for $249 (does include an impact driver, which would be rather pointless to me.)

I'd love a lithium set, but am content enough with NiCd, especially given that both sets I've looked at work with lithium batteries - which I can snag down the road when the NiCd starts to die.

So any of you esteemed, learned gentlemen want to make a recommendation as to a solid kit for me to snag? Either of the two I've looked at, or is there something else that I should consider? Or should I ditch the idea of kits altogether, and just buy the tools I actually need?

Cheers in advance for your help, lads!

Re: Found testicles, now need tools!

I just had to nominate this thread solely for the title alone.

Should be rated as a thread "Most likely to not be found in forum search"
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 08-25-2008, 07:09 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I would get the ridgid just for the impact driver alone. You will find that once you start to use the impact the drill will only be used to drill holes, it will never see another screw bit. The recip saw is a useful tool as well, especially on outdoor woodworking projects.

Comment

I agree with wbrooks on the impact deal. when i got mine as part of a combo set i didnt think i would really use it much. but i was wrong and very glad i got it.
        if you do go with the ridgid make sure you register for the LLSA.

Comment

Ubermick,
          Welcome to the forum,
          Glad you found your um, well, you know.
          I'll make a couple of suggestions for you if you like. Since you're a homeowner, the need for a whole s---load of cordless tools may seem like a really cool thing, but in reality, you don't need a boatload, only a couple. So get yourself a good cordless drill, and probably the impact driver. Although, if you don't end up doing a ton of projects, you could probably get by with just the cordless and let it do your drilling and your fastening chores. But get cordless on these just because so many things need a drill or driver around the house and inertia will keep you from dragging out an extension cord every time you need to fix something. With that said, look at Corded for all of the rest of your tools needs, or at least most of them. Saws, either recip or circular, etc., tend to motor thru the batteries pretty fast. Unless you're buying really top quality corded stuff with expensive batteries, you'll find yourself frustrated with those cordless tools time after time. Especially when you start to look at things like that little cordless trim saw. Buy yourself a nice corded Dewalt or Makita, or even a Milwaukee circ saw or recip saw and never look back. The impetus for a lot of those cordless tools is for the contractor who is at a job site, moving fast from place to place and doesn't want to set up extension cords and run them all over heck and back. Or he's on a new site where the Sparky hasn't come to hook up the meter yet and he hates the thought of setting up a genset and running cords off that, yadda, yadda, yadda. So unless you're planning on changing professions soon, stick to the corded for all else. The motors are heavier, will last longer, you don't have to worry about the batteries sitting idle and not getting used and charged. You don't have to worry about the batteries running down and out of power when you're in middle of project. Etc. Now if you want to spare yourself some bucks on some of these tools (corded), check out Craigslist in your area. Lately, (due to the economy) there are a TON of individuals and contractors who have put their tools out there for sale at a fraction of their original cost. Circ saws for $15, corded drills for $10, ROS for $7, and on and on. You can get yourself a nice cordless drill and impact and spend whatever amount you want on it , and buy the rest from craigslist or yard sales or whatever and not lose an arm and a leg. Just a thought. If you want to go higher end and higher price on the corded, start rummaging around Amazon to see what's on closeout, or hit one of the CPO sites for re-conditioned tools from Milwaukee, Bosch, etc. A lot of those re-cons, ended up doing a project for a weekend warrier. They buy them Friday aft. use em to build a deck on Saturday and Sunday, and take them back to the store Monday and say they didn't like their performance. Store takes em back, sends em to the manufacturer who goes thru them and makes them like new again, but then sells them as re-cons. Most times they have the original length warranty also. Good deals at lesser prices and sometimes those items look like they never made it out of the package. Again, just a thought. Good luck and let us know how it all turns out for you.
          Jim Don

Comment

Jim Don gave you some really good advice. I don't think a cordless version of a tool replaces the corded version. You should get some corded power tools, which should last forever and never become obsolete.

I don't entirely follow that advice as I've got only a cordless RA drill and a cordless spiral saw, but for the main workhorses (circ saw, sander, drill), I do have corded versions. Personally, I would really like to add a cordless circular saw; but realize it would never replace my corded circ saw.

My cordless drills (I've got 2 + the RA now) on the other hand have almost entirely replaced my corded drill.

Comment

Cheers for the replies lads. Yeah, the more I look at the DeWalt kit, the more I think it's primarily redundant - the light's small and cute, as is the saw, so in reality I'm paying for a decent drill and reciprocating saw. The Ridgid kits seem to offer more in the way of practical tools.

I am planning (hoping) to graduate from doing basic things around the house, to, as I said - have a crack at replacing our deck, and what I'd love to do is build a studio/shed in my backyard. I do have a wee 10" mitre saw and a circular saw that are both corded, but am not sold on their quality (notably the @#$@# Ryobi circular saw my wife got me, which I REALLY should have immediately returned for store credit.) As you mentioned, JimDon, I can definitely see constantly running out of juice doing that getting old REAL quick.

Comment

Before you go worrying about getting top o' the line, and the costs that go with that, I'd suggest a good hard look at the Ryobi One+ series of tools.

Over the course of the last 2 1/2 years I've accumulated about 25 of these tools... some see nearly daily use (impact driver & P201 drill). Some see weekly use (circ saw, jig saw), and some are just sort of always in use when I need 'em (radio, fan).

This is a really great tool collection for a non-professional. There are, literally, dozens of tools which are great for everything around the house. Your wife might appreciate the garden sprayer. Personally, I use it for spraying stain on my outdoor furniture items.
                The cordless chainsaw has helped me trim back four trees. And it's much safer than a gas model, up on a ladder.

Overall, for the 25+ tools that I have, I'm 98% satisfied.. heck, beyond satisfied. I wish I hadn't bought the cordless ROS, but that's the only tool I have regrets about. For a while, I thought the cordless mini-shop vac was useless. But then I had some tasks where it literally was the perfect little companion tool...

For the cost of that DeWalt set, you can get a "Renovator's" kit, which varies on which tools it has (usually 7, however), and buy the Impact Driver separately (it really is a GREAT tool)... and still have money left over for some extra batteries.

Take a look at the plethora of tools available in this line, then think about what you, as a homeowner and fledgling woodworker, not a professional contractor, would/could use them for. It really is a line aimed directly at that consumer.

Comment

Gosh, I feel like Yoda trying to explain the Dark side to Skywalker (you're probably too young to appreciate the reference). Jim Don gave you some good info as did the others but I don't like to dance around with grown men so here's the truth. You buy the tools, not your wife. Accept money or a store gift card and remember you must act quickly before she realizes you don't need any of this stuff. Start with the basic "Man" stuff to keep your testosterone intact, generator(I don't care if you never lose power) two stage compressor ( you're lucky if you use it to inflate your tires) Full size table saw (I used mine once to rip a piece of 2" door molding), 12" sliding compound mitre saw( used it to mitre the same piece of molding) every imaginable cordless tool 18volts or higher ( the reciprocating saw is a must if you are going to destroy anything) you own a home now tough guy so you will need a chainsaw, a big chainsaw (don't let the fact that you don't have any trees on your property stop you) think emergency. Full set of standard and metric tools in a good tool box and rolling cabinet ( just in case you need to change a tire or light bulb). In all seriousness you can't fully appreciate how useful these tools are until you need them. The impact driver can do the work of serveral men when it comes to driving lags or working with hex heads or bolts and nuts, the circular and recipro saws make quick work of lumber and I can't imagine taking apart nail embedded wood without a recipro. My 18volt Ridigd nicad set has been great, I only wish they made more diverse tools to compete with other manufacturers. The more jobs you tackle, the more need you discover for different tools. Choose wisely when it comes to tools and don't take on too much in the beginning. Sometimes not understanding exactly what it takes to do a job (like that deck) can lead you to think it must be a breeze. The pros here and some of the homeowners can tell you it looks a lot easier than it is. Estimate the cost of your raw maerials so you don't get in over your head. Wood is not cheap! Consider taking some woodworking classes if available. Best of luck and welcome to the Forum.

Comment

Wood Junkie, I have to say that my experience with Ryobi has been pretty poor. I currently own a corded circular saw that I've had problems with, and I did have a drill that wouldn't hold a charge for love nor money after just a couple of months use. In terms of cost, I've noticed that I can get a reconditioned Ridgid set for the same price as a comparable Ryobi kit - and would much rather have the safety of the lifetime warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by ubermick View Post
                      Wood Junkie, I have to say that my experience with Ryobi has been pretty poor. I currently own a corded circular saw that I've had problems with, and I did have a drill that wouldn't hold a charge for love nor money after just a couple of months use. In terms of cost, I've noticed that I can get a reconditioned Ridgid set for the same price as a comparable Ryobi kit - and would much rather have the safety of the lifetime warranty.
                      Ryobi nicads always gave me trouble. Trick is to let them completely cool down before charging. I have their lithium starter set and those batteries make a world of difference. No memory, no loss of power throughout their usage until they are completely dead. Plenty of OnePlus tools to choose from and it's always smart to have a second drill handy.

Comment

Frankiarmz:
                        ROTFLMAO: HA HA!!! That's got to be one of the best answers and funniest posts I've seen in a long time. Way ta go Tim Taylor! How True, How True, only thing you forgot was the big asz welder that you plug directly into the high tension wires on the pole out back!!!
                        Oh, by the way, if I can't get the Coke dried up in time, I think you may owe me a keyboard.
                        cheers,
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                          Frankiarmz:
                          ROTFLMAO: HA HA!!! That's got to be one of the best answers and funniest posts I've seen in a long time. Way ta go Tim Taylor! How True, How True, only thing you forgot was the big asz welder that you plug directly into the high tension wires on the pole out back!!!
                          Oh, by the way, if I can't get the Coke dried up in time, I think you may owe me a keyboard.
                          cheers,
                          Jim
                          Happy to bring a smile to your face and get you laugh'in. A welder? I actually was looking into a small mig job and plasma cutter, boy I could do some damage with them two! Glad you got my sense of humor.

Comment

ubermick the lifetime service agreement is only available on new tools. the recon. ones you mention will just come with standard warranty. this is unless Ridgid has changed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              Full set of standard and metric tools in a good tool box and rolling cabinet ( just in case you need to change a tire or light bulb). In all seriousness you can't fully appreciate how useful these tools are until you need them.
                              I would say that having a good socket set is more important than having pretty much any tool in a cordless variety. If you don't have a good complement of basic hand tools, skip the expensive high-quality power tools until you do and just buy what you need to get by. The sockets and hand tools should last literally forever. You can usually get by without a power tool, but you can't get by without the basic hand tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X