Panasonic Lithium Ion Drill???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic Lithium Ion Drill???

I know this is the Rigid tool site but I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the Panasonic lithium ion drills and impacts that are out? I am looking to buy new drills and impacts for our cabinet shop and have one vendor who is pushing these. I was originally looking into Dewalts or Makitas and he showed me these. Problem is I am not too familiar with Panasonic power tools, actually I didn't know they existed, and am having trouble finding people who have used them. If you have any info I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you are currently using any brand of lithium ion drill and are impressed with it, that would;d be helpful too. Thanks.

Re: Panasonic Lithium Ion Drill???

Mecabman,
    Welcome to the forum. They seem to be very well regarded from everything I've heard and read about them. The problem is that they're not nearly as available as other brands. They're tool line up is somewhat limited compared to other brands as well. I read that Panasonic has a completely new lithium voltage lineup coming out late this year so you may want to wait a bit to get more info.

good luck,
    ern

Comment

I handled the Panasonic 15.6 volt 3.5AH NIMH drill last year, it felt solid, very strong. The handymen at my Mom's senior housing use these drill and the swear by them. I don't know what other tools they have in their line and if you are going to invest in a variety of cordless tools that is a consideration, however for the application you mentioned I think they would be just fine. Can you get the salesman to test drive one of these drills? I think you would be sold on it once you used it for a day or two.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Macabman.
        I believe Panasonic had the first LI battery powered drills. I first used one in the mid to late 90s and they were so far ahead of the competition it was hard to compare. They were light, powerful and had tremendous runtime between charges with beautiful balance and trigger control. I was in the Portland,OR area at the time and they dominated the electrician trade. They were my favoite drill for many years and quite spendy.
        I haven't used one of their drills in several years, however recent tests would indicate the competition has made inroads into their once dominate position. My current favorite drill is the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill. I like it for all the same reasons that I found attractive about the Panasonic. It is light, well balanced, has great run time even with the 1.5Ah batt, has great trigger control and the buillt in light is surprisingly useful. Over the last year that I have been using it in extremely filthy and tough conditions including times when it was filled with plaster dust, splashed with rock mud, snowed on and in and used in rain so heavy that I finally wrapped a sandwich baggie around it, it has performed flawlessly. It is also much less expensive than the Panasonic and is supported by Ridgid's Limited Lifetime Service Agreement which even covers replacement of those expensive LI batts.
        Don't take my word for it. Ridgid offers a no questions asked 90 day trial period. Buy it from HD and give it the serious test and if for any reason you don't like it, simply return it to HD for a full refund. It's hard to beat that.
        Good luck on your selection and let us know what you decide......Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I hold Panasonic in high regards. Many people do not own them but those who do rave about them.

My next impact will be the Panasonic. They have a brush-less motor which is new.

In the link I posted you will see the Makita finished first. Makita is very nice but Panasonic won 2nd place. Comfort is very nice which is a big deal to me. I would love to have the Panasonic.

Here is a link. The test results are on page three. Have fun.
          http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...05143&artnum=1
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            I hold Panasonic in high regards. Many people do not own them but those who do rave about them.

My next impact will be the Panasonic. They have a brush-less motor which is new.

In the link I posted you will see the Makita finished first. Makita is very nice but Panasonic won 2nd place. Comfort is very nice which is a big deal to me. I would love to have the Panasonic.

Here is a link. The test results are on page three. Have fun.
            Thanks for the link Tyman. I had not seen that test. Although I have not tried most of the tools tested I can confirm the poor results from the Ridgid when using the 18V batts. Ridgid really got it wrong with this one and it can be traced to the incredibly slow speed. Compare it to the Ridgid 14.4 impact which is a far superior tool. Even using the 24V batt the 14.4 will out perform it. I sent an email to Ridgid asking why they designed it with such a slow speed and they responded by saying "they didn't discuss their design decisions with the public". Oh well, maybe if I designed this pig I wouldn't want to talk about it either. Anyway, it's always reasuring when "experts" agree with one's interpretations, positive or negative.
            Last edited by roadrashray; 09-02-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I think the 18v impact i think is the best all around impact that Ridgid has. It has the same specs as the 14.4 but the 18 volt battery last longer especially the lithiums. It seems to me that the Max select would be equal to the 18 volt and exceed with 24 volt but its not.

Comment

Originally posted by the_aerator View Post
                I think the 18v impact i think is the best all around impact that Ridgid has. It has the same specs as the 14.4 but the 18 volt battery last longer especially the lithiums. It seems to me that the Max select would be equal to the 18 volt and exceed with 24 volt but its not.
                Not true aerator.....See specs below taken from Ridgid.com for the various Ridgid impact tools.

14.4V......
                IPM-2,800
                RPM-2,850

18V.....
                IPM-3,100
                RPM-2,400

MaxSelect
                18V......
                IPM-2900
                RPM-1700
                24V......
                IPM-3300
                RPM-2100

Your post has given me pause for thought however. We have a couple of the 14.4 impacts and a couple of the MaxSelect's. The 14.4s will run circles around the MaxSelect's even using the 24V batts. Based on that information I had always assumed the RPM was the key stat since the 14.4 was 2,850 and the 24V MaxSelect was only 2,100.
                We have a Ridgid 18V impact that came as part of a set and has never been out of the box. I will run it against the 14.4 and compare the performance. I would love an impact I could use my 18V 1.5 LI batts with because it would be so light!!!! Sweet!!! The MaxSelect is a total dog with the 18s in it.
                Stay tuned. I'll post the results.
                Last edited by roadrashray; 09-02-2008, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  The 14.4s will run circles around the MaxSelect's even using the 24V batts. Based on that information I had always assumed the RPM was the key stat since the 14.4 was 2,850 and the 24V MaxSelect was only 2,100.
                  We have a Ridgid 18V impact that came as part of a set and has never been out of the box. I will run it against the 14.4 and compare the performance. I would love an impact I could use my 18V 1.5 LI batts with because it would be so light!!!! Sweet!!! The MaxSelect is a total dog with the 18s in it
                  RoadRashRay the results of your test will help members choose the right impact driver especially since one Ridgid kit was marked down to $134.25. The R966 Ni-cad drill/driver+impact has the 18V impact versus the max-select tool-only at $119
                  Last edited by reConx; 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by roadrashray
                    The 14.4s will run circles around the MaxSelect's even using the 24V batts. Based on that information I had always assumed the RPM was the key stat since the 14.4 was 2,850 and the 24V MaxSelect was only 2,100.
                    We have a Ridgid 18V impact that came as part of a set and has never been out of the box. I will run it against the 14.4 and compare the performance. I would love an impact I could use my 18V 1.5 LI batts with because it would be so light!!!! Sweet!!! The MaxSelect is a total dog with the 18s in it
                    Originally posted by reConx View Post
                    RoadRashRay the results of your test will help members choose the right impact driver especially since one Ridgid kit was marked down to $134.25. The R966 Ni-cad drill/driver+impact has the 18V impact versus the max-select tool-only at $119
                    Here it is. I pulled out the 18V impact and loaded a 18V LI 1.5Ah batt in it and compared it to the MaxSelect with the same 18V LI 1.5Ah batt and the 14.4 impact with a 14.4V 2.5Ah Max battery. I drove 3 1/2 in. screws into a
                    4" block of pressure treated. My conclusions are totaly subjective as I made no attempt to measure the time necessary for each tool to drive the screws in. I am very confident with the conclusion as the speed difference was very apparent.
                    1- The hands down winner was the 14.4 impact. It drove the screws much faster than the MaxSelect or the 18V impacts.
                    2-Second place went to the 18V impact. It drove the screw faster than the MaxSelect with 18V batt.
                    3-For giggles I threw the 24V LI batt in the MaxSelect impact and ran the tests again. I knew from job experiance over the last year that the 14.4 impact is much faster than the MaxSelect with the 24V batt. I was interested in comparing the 24V against the 18V impact. The MaxSelect with the 24V batt is faster than the 18V impact with the 18V LI 2.5Ah batt.
                    Again I mention the comparative RPM of each tool and there seems to be a direct relationship in that the faster the RPM of the tool the faster it drove screws regardless of Impact rate.
                    14.4V......
                    IPM-2,800
                    RPM-2,850

18V.....
                    IPM-3,100
                    RPM-2,400

MaxSelect
                    18V......
                    IPM-2900
                    RPM-1700
                    24V......
                    IPM-3300
                    RPM-2100
                    As a point of interest the 18V LI Makita compact impact tool I used on a job earlier this summer was faster than any of the Ridgid impacts except for the Ridgid 14.4V. On the job this is not just an academic excercise. It's embarassing to be working right next to someone using the 18V Makita and I was using the MaxSelect with the 18V Li batt and while I was making alot of rattling noise the Makita was simply driving screws much faster than me. I was forced to put the 24V batt in my impact to equal the speed of the 18V Makita. I was laboring away with a tool that weighed over four punds to equal the performance of a competitor weighing around two pounds. Guess which gun a worker wants to reach for all day?
                    So that everyone can see what Ridgid is up against in the very important 18V LI Impact tool marketplace I will again post the test results posted earlier on this thread by Tyman. I would hope that Ridgid has reviewed this test and noted Ridgid's very dissipointing finish in a DISTANT last place.
                    Proman, hopefully you will bring this to their attention. It is a shame that Ridgid has arguably the finest 18V LI compact drill and such a non performer for the 18V LI MaxSelect Impact tool. In my opinion fixing this sub par performing tool is much more important than an automatic tranmission for a drill. Especially now that the results of this test are out there for all to see. Most of us in the field are using our impacts much more than the drills these days.
                    .......Ray
                    Last edited by roadrashray; 09-02-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I find you don't really want an impact to be too fast, otherwise screwdriving gets a bit out of control. There's a fine line between good speed and too much speed.

Comment

In my Comparison the 18v with lithiums is faster than MaxSelect with 24v. I like the 18v because I can share batteries with my other tools. I gave my MaxSelect to my uncle.

Comment

Working...
                        X