Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on Joiners / Planers

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this list and this is the first note I'm posting.

I'm thinking about purchasing a tabletop Joiner/Planer and have been exploring options. I have seen that the Craftsman has earned some poor remarks regarding the fence.

What can folks tells me about products from Ridgid?

My budget if I decide to purchase is less than $400.00, as this is certainly a hobby activity and not for commercial activities.

Thanks
    Steve

Re: Information on Joiners / Planers

Ridgid doesn't make a benchtop jointer...only a floor standing 6" unit. The benchtop jointers in general face several challenges due to their size, weight, and materials of construction. Benchtop jointers will only handle smaller pieces and are more prone to flexing, inaccuracies, and are more prone to failure...not to mention that the universal motors in them are extremely loud. None I'm aware of are built to the same level as the floor units. If you've got the space, you'd be far better off if you can get a decent cast iron floor standing model. Any from Grizzly, Delta, Ridgid, Craftsman, Sunhill, Jet, GI, Rikon, or Woodtek should serve you well...many will be available under $400 on sale. Bed length, the type of stand, switch location, and the type of bed adjustments will be the biggest differences.

Here's an example of a floor unit and a benchtop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	66112eb8d5f4b5ada7ce066ebcef01cf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	4118 Click image for larger version

Name:	c4c9ec65318046ea44d9faace6330ee9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	4119

Comment

Working...