Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

I have a RIDGID 6 1/2 circular saw and I've noticed recently its been cutting a bevel. The bevel setting is at 0 and the blade is square to the base plate. I noticed that when I make a cut and push down on the handle the front right side of the base plate lifts up about an 1/8" and tilts the motor and blade. The mounting points between the motor and base are on the right front and back so theres nothing to stop the plastic from flexing. I tried screwing on a 1/2" piece of ply to the base but it still twists and I tried wedging a block under the handle to support it but then I can't easily adjusting blade height.

Is this a bad design or does this happen to other brand's saws?

Re: circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

Don't have that issue with my mostly metal parted Milwaukee circular saw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I also dont have that problem with my "mostly cast aluminum porter cable. I am joking, the porter cable is a great saw! Btu my saw is powered by electricity.
      Last edited by levon; 08-29-2008, 06:02 PM.

Comment

It's a saw that cuts wood, not a crutch. Stand up and stop leaning on it!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by tooladdict View Post
          I have a RIDGID 6 1/2 circular saw and I've noticed recently its been cutting a bevel. The bevel setting is at 0 and the blade is square to the base plate. I noticed that when I make a cut and push down on the handle the front right side of the base plate lifts up about an 1/8" and tilts the motor and blade. The mounting points between the motor and base are on the right front and back so theres nothing to stop the plastic from flexing. I tried screwing on a 1/2" piece of ply to the base but it still twists and I tried wedging a block under the handle to support it but then I can't easily adjusting blade height.

Is this a bad design or does this happen to other brand's saws?
          I recently noticed that the base plate adjusting arm on my Ridgid 6 1/2 circ saw was coming out of the slot next to the dimension plate when extended. After further examination I noticed the adjusting arm was bent. I have a bad knee and it probably occured when I pushed up from the floor using the saw as a crutch while causing the plate to bend the arm. Papadan had warned me about that, but of course I didn't listen! That's the problem with those lightweight flimsy things. The Skil worm drive makes a far better crutch.
          Good luck and please let us know what you find.......Ray
          Last edited by roadrashray; 09-12-2008, 02:28 PM. Reason: trying to be funny!

Comment

Working...
          X