Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

I have a RIDGID 6 1/2 circular saw and I've noticed recently its been cutting a bevel. The bevel setting is at 0 and the blade is square to the base plate. I noticed that when I make a cut and push down on the handle the front right side of the base plate lifts up about an 1/8" and tilts the motor and blade. The mounting points between the motor and base are on the right front and back so theres nothing to stop the plastic from flexing. I tried screwing on a 1/2" piece of ply to the base but it still twists and I tried wedging a block under the handle to support it but then I can't easily adjusting blade height.

Is this a bad design or does this happen to other brand's saws?

Re: circular saw base plate twisting?? Is it just mine?

Don't have that issue with my mostly metal parted Milwaukee circular saw.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I also dont have that problem with my "mostly cast aluminum porter cable. I am joking, the porter cable is a great saw! Btu my saw is powered by electricity.
      Last edited by levon; 08-29-2008, 05:02 PM.

Comment

It's a saw that cuts wood, not a crutch. Stand up and stop leaning on it!
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by tooladdict View Post
          I have a RIDGID 6 1/2 circular saw and I've noticed recently its been cutting a bevel. The bevel setting is at 0 and the blade is square to the base plate. I noticed that when I make a cut and push down on the handle the front right side of the base plate lifts up about an 1/8" and tilts the motor and blade. The mounting points between the motor and base are on the right front and back so theres nothing to stop the plastic from flexing. I tried screwing on a 1/2" piece of ply to the base but it still twists and I tried wedging a block under the handle to support it but then I can't easily adjusting blade height.

Is this a bad design or does this happen to other brand's saws?
          I recently noticed that the base plate adjusting arm on my Ridgid 6 1/2 circ saw was coming out of the slot next to the dimension plate when extended. After further examination I noticed the adjusting arm was bent. I have a bad knee and it probably occured when I pushed up from the floor using the saw as a crutch while causing the plate to bend the arm. Papadan had warned me about that, but of course I didn't listen! That's the problem with those lightweight flimsy things. The Skil worm drive makes a far better crutch.
          Good luck and please let us know what you find.......Ray
          Last edited by roadrashray; 09-12-2008, 01:28 PM. Reason: trying to be funny!

Comment

Working...
          X