Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I drill with the Bosch PS40-2 10.8V Impact Driver

FedEx just dropped off my new Bosch PS40-2 impact driver

Looks like the perfect little tool for around the house and I'll probably order another for the work truck

This quoted from the Bosch manual:

INTENDED USE
    This tool is intended for the fastening and
    loosening of bolts, nuts and various threaded
    fasteners. This tool is not intended for use as
    a drill.
    Do not use this tool as a drill. Tools equipped
    with shut-off clutches are not designed for
    drilling applications. The clutch can shut off
    automatically and without warning. Attempting
    to restart drilling after shut-off has been
    reached can cause the tool to twist out of your
    hand until the clutch again reaches shut-off.
    Do not attempt to insert quick-change type drill
    bits into this chuck

Bosch even makes a quick change drill bit kit paired with this impactor

This quote is from the Amazon description:
    Impact drivers are smaller and lighter than cordless drills, but because they have a simple hammering function and are geared specifically to spin fast, they produce about three times the torque of a drill. This means an impact driver will put in screws, bolts, and other fasteners much faster than a drill would (especially in sheet metal). They can drill holes, too. What they won't do is drill holes bigger than 1/2 inch, but they'll handle just about any job a homeowner or contractor would do around the house.

Should I ignore what the manual says or just not use it as a drill? Quite frankly, if I can't use the drill option I'm sending it back

Re: Can I drill with the Bosch PS40-2 10.8V Impact Driver

I drill holes with my impact all the time. I even drill 1" holes with a paddle bit, no problem.

Comment

My Bosch PS20 stops completely when the torque setting is reached. It's NOT a slip clutch, it's electronic. So it works off feedback or current draw and the motor stops electrically.

The problem comes from the fact that the tool could restart unexpectedly and cause an injury.

I find the Bosch shut-off clutch kind of clunky on the PS20. The tool is nice for driving screws and such in tight spots which is what I got it for.

For drilling in tight spots I use a Craftsman Mini T-Drill which works well.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-30-2008, 08:32 PM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

PS20 has a mechanical clutch.
        PS10 has the electronic clutch.

Comment

I got into the habit of drilling holes with my Makita impact driver, and even went as far as buying a 1/4" hex chuck so I could fit non hex-ed bits into it.

Then I realized I was being a hack and not using the tool for what it was designed for, and dropped $300 and bought the matching hammer drill.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I use my Bosch and Makita impacts to drill quick holes all the time.
            A convenient accessory to have are the "Insty Bit" bit holders.
            You can use regular drill bits in these.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              For drilling in tight spots I use a Craftsman Mini T-Drill which works well.
              For what it's worth here is the drill behind the "Mini T" drill. Talking about handy!!
              http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...8ea+1220192708

Catalog of their industrial tools. Many are pneumatic.
              http://www.siouxtools.com/pdfs/Indus...atalog7-06.pdf

Comment

Thanks for that link to the Sioux catalog Woussko, I found the vacbase for their pneumatic drills of interest. There have been a couple times when that would have been handy working in places where its best not to use electric powered tools and wanting to drill a hole in plate or pipe.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  I got into the habit of drilling holes with my Makita impact driver, and even went as far as buying a 1/4" hex chuck so I could fit non hex-ed bits into it.

Then I realized I was being a hack and not using the tool for what it was designed for, and dropped $300 and bought the matching hammer drill.
                  Just because you spent $300 on a new tool doesn't make you any less of a hack J/K

The PS40 is so cute I've decided to keep it. I already have the 12v Ridgid Micros so maybe I'll just use that for drilling holes. Just hate having 2 similar tools when I could use one to do both funtions

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Just because you spent $300 on a new tool doesn't make you any less of a hack J/K

The PS40 is so cute I've decided to keep it. I already have the 12v Ridgid Micros so maybe I'll just use that for drilling holes. Just hate having 2 similar tools when I could use one to do both funtions
                    Which has a better feel and which do you like better... the ps40 or the ridgid micro?

Comment

They are 2 different animals completly. I would have to say I like the Ridgid because of the beefier feel. I know quality doesn't always equate to the weight of an object but this is imbedded into my psyche.

The Ridgid Micro is a 3/8" drill chuch and the Bosch PS40-A is a impact driver with a quick release chuck. They weigh roughly the same in my hand.

FWIW
                      I had my wife and her girlfriends try them side by side and all the ladies liked the Bosch better. It seem to fit in their petite hands better. Something about the Ridgid colors reminded them of a bad Halloween Candy Corn incident. The blue Bosch had less of a "tool like" appearance and that was visualy pleasing to them. The Bosch does light up the workpiece better also.

Stay tuned to next weeks exciting episode of The Girly Toolbox: How to Hammer Your Man

Comment

I love my little bosch. Its a great tool for building workstation (think office) furniture. Yes you can drill with it but be gentle not to jam the bit. Forcing the tool will cause it to hammer and that will kill your bit. I use it to drill pilot holes the run screws into worksurfaces.

Now what's the difference between the 10.8v and 12 v versions? I can't tell the difference. The batteries and chargers are interchangable. Marketing matbe?

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by PeterK View Post
                          Now what's the difference between the 10.8v and 12 v versions? I can't tell the difference. The batteries and chargers are interchangable. Marketing matbe?
                          Next time your at HD/Lowes check out the information posted on the box explaining their use of 12V peak and 10.8V nominal ratings for their batteries. Seems to be a very honest discussion of their rating methods. I did not see any significant difference or upgrade made to the PS40 impactor, i.e.: 800 in-lb max torque and 1,800 RPM/3,000 BPM. There seems to be significant changes to the PS20 (25% increase torque/speed)

Comment

Originally posted by PeterK View Post
                            I love my little bosch. Its a great tool for building workstation (think office) furniture. Yes you can drill with it but be gentle not to jam the bit. Forcing the tool will cause it to hammer and that will kill your bit. I use it to drill pilot holes the run screws into worksurfaces.

Peter
                            I read a review that said the difference is the Drills and impact are slightly upgraded, but the batteries and chargers are the same and are interchangeable. This was done to compete with Milwaukee and Ridgid and others offering similar tools and calling them 12V and Bosch did not want to be over looked.

Comment

Thanks folks I saw that also

peter

Comment

Working...
                              X