X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking noise on table saw

When I start my Ridgid table saw up I can hear a clicking sound as the blade is turning and as it is turned off it is more pronounced. It is not anything rubbing as I have checked. I think it has something to do with the arbor. If it is how do I fix it?

Thanks for any help

Re: Clicking noise on table saw

All questions, no answers for you...

(Assuming belt driven model)

1) Belt tension is good? Consult the saw manual for how to adjust. You should be able to squeeze the sides of the belt together with some light effort at all blade heights.

2) Do you have or can you borrow a dial indicator to check the arbor run-out? A gross check (no pun intended) would be to grasp the arbor firmly in your fingers and wiggle. It shouldn't. Do this with the saw unplugged and the blade removed.

3) And have you checked the condition of your belt to see if it has taken a "set"? Also are the pulleys aligned?

If this is a direct drive model, obviously the belt and pulley are not a factor. Check that the motor itself is not rattling in its mount.

Use an air compressor (or just a can of air like you would use to clean a camera or computer keyboard) and blow out the motor. Eye protection and dust mask strongly recommended. Likewise clean up the area under the table and make sure all the moving parts are solid and secure.

Comment

How long have you had the saw? Is it brand new?

Check for some wood chips in the lower blade housing under the table. It's a plastic piece that surrounds the blade under the table, to make dust collection better. Sometimes a small piece of wood will get caught in there and that might be the source of the noise. Unplug the saw, remove the blade and check the area where the blade was. To help lock the blade in place (since I already lost one of the stamped metal arbor wrenches), I jam a wood pencil into one of the blade tooth gullets and then loosen and remove the arbor nut.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

i had the same problem. all set to drag the saw into a repair center. for some reason, i checked the trunion pulley. it was misalligned relative to the motor pulley. alligned both pullies and no more clicking noise. saw passes the nickel test everytime.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
        X