X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid 10" Mitre saw

I was cutting mdf base and casing and suddenly the motor start grinding (like loose parts inside). So I stop using. Then I give the trigger another pull out of curiosity - more grinding, then finally no more motor turning, except you hear the hum of it wanting to turn. I can grab the blade and force it to move, but only slightly, in a jerking motion.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Brushes broken loose? Is this fixable?

My saw is less than 3 yrs old and lightly used. My 1 year extended warranty has unfortunately run out since I bought it in 2005.

Re: Rigid 10" Mitre saw

Originally posted by cpraneri View Post
    I was cutting mdf base and casing and suddenly the motor start grinding (like loose parts inside). So I stop using. Then I give the trigger another pull out of curiosity - more grinding, then finally no more motor turning, except you hear the hum of it wanting to turn. I can grab the blade and force it to move, but only slightly, in a jerking motion.

Can anyone tell me what this is? Brushes broken loose? Is this fixable?

My saw is less than 3 yrs old and lightly used. My 1 year extended warranty has unfortunately run out since I bought it in 2005.
    I thought the base warranty on RIDGID Power Tools was 3 years, but if not did you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement?

Comment

I'm at 3.5 years since purchase. No, I do not recall signing up for this.

Comment

Too bad you didn't register the tool for the LLSA. However, to your problem:

You mentioned that the saw has seen only light duty, but still the first thing I would check would be the brushes. They are easily accessible (those two large screw-like plastic covers on either side of the right end of the motor housing)

If the brushes are okay, leave them out for the moment, and turn the saw (power unplugged of course!) by hand and see if you still here the grinding noise. If so, try to detect at which end of the motor it is coming from.

If you've determined that the brushes are NOT the problem, then I guess you'll have to decide whether you want to tackle the job yourself or take it to a service center. Generally, inspecting the motor's workings isn't a big problem, but I haven't specifically taken my CMS apart yet. (I have totally disassembled, cleaned, and assembled motors on my RAS, drills, circular saws, jig saws, and belt sander... so I don't imagine any problem in doing this.)

The grinding could be as simple as debris, but I suspect it to be something more like a broken piece. It should be easily identified once you have it apart.

Good luck and I hope it isn't anything too damaging,

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X