X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbe looking for a nailer

The budget is $500 I'm looking for a Brad Nailer and a Finish Nailer. I'm also looking for a Reciprocating Saw.

Here is what I've found
    DeWalt
    Finish Nailer/Brad Nailer/Combo Kit for $279 At Lowes

Come with the 2gal compressor.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=545-70-D55141FNBN&lpage=none

or
    Stanley Bostitch
    3-Tool Finish and Trim Combo Kit $319

Comes with:
    2-1/2" 16-gauge finish nailer
    1" 18-gauge finish stapler
    1-1/4" 18-gauge brad nailer
    2.0-HP (Peak) oil-free compressor 6gal tank
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=236551-354-CPACK3&lpage=none

I'm very unfamiliar with the quality of either brands. The usage is going to be nailing trim. Making some cabinets some basic woodworking. I've used a Dewalt cordless Recip Saw however, I found it to wear out too quickly. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. At first thought I'm willing to pay the extra for the Bostitch combo if its worth it.

Thanks

Re: Newbe looking for a nailer

The Bostich set seems to be more common. I haven't seen the DeWalt guns in action yet. The Bostich have been around for awhile and if your doing small projects you probably won't need more. Take care of them and they should last a long time. Clean and oil regularly. Just a drop or two of oil will suffice. I have a DeWalt CORDED sawzall that I absolutely love. I beleive it cost me $109.

I just looked at your links. I like that DeWalt comp. MUCH more than the Bostich. The guns look like they are probably about the same make. Some companies make products for two or more different names. The Bostich comes with 3 guns though. I'd wait to hear from a couple more guys. Myself, the DeWalt comp. would be my choice. At work, all my guns are Paslode. I work primarily outside so my guns get beat up alot. If your in a shop, you will probably be much nicer to yours. Good Luck, keep in touch.
    Last edited by Gregman1069; 09-07-2008, 11:19 PM.
    If you use a calculator to layout rafters...get off my job!!!!

Comment

I have a Bostitch 15 guage finish nailer and a 18 guage brad nailer. They are awesome guns, and I have never had any problems with them. If I buy another gun it will be a Bostitch.

Comment

I'm sure this is true with a lot of things but I have seen it first hand with nail guns.

Check the price and model # at a local supply/ hardware store then do the same at a big box store. The bigg box will be cheaper but you will also notice a slightly different model # for what looks to be the same gun.
        The reason for this I've been told is because the big box store model is the same gun but made with inferior/cheaper parts to keep the price lower.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Also check out Bens post "I've been shot" in the jobsite safety section it's pretty cool in a twisted sorta way.

Oh yeah, to the forum!
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Also check out Bens post "I've been shot" in the jobsite safety section it's pretty cool in a twisted sorta way.

Oh yeah, to the forum!
            I am sure Ben thought it was real cool!

Comment

Thanks, for the replies. In regards to brand reputation. When it comes to Nail guns is Bostitch any more Superior than Dewalt? Or vise versa.

Comment

senco is the best IMHO, but you will be paying for it their oiless guns are best. But bostich will do the job quite well! I dont have anty experience with Dewalt. All my nailers staplers etc are all bostich!

Comment

Thanks, here are the model numbers that come with these kits.

Bostitch
                  Finish Nailer SB-1664FN
                  Crown Stapler SB-125BN
                  Brad Nailer SB-100SX

Dewalt
                  Brad Nailer D51236K
                  Finish Nailer D51256K

I've also heard that the Dewalt compressor is much quieter then any other pancake compressor. In other reviews the Bostitch is really loud.

I have seen a difference in model numbers for the Dewalt. On Dewalt's website they use the Model numbers D51236 and D51256. I don't know if that is a different model all together? I have not seen this with the Bostitch.

Comment

I own the Dewalt 16 ga finish nailer D51256 and it performs flawlessly. I've never had a jam and the depth of drive adjustment works great and also the extra large magazine is a nice feature. I have not used the 18 ga brad nailer or the Dewalt compressor, so I cannot comment on them. I would however look for a compressor with an oil lubricated pump because they are usually more durable and more quiet than their oil-free counterparts. Good luck with your tool purchase.

Comment

I picked up Porter Cable compressor and 3-piece nailer combo for $279 at HD; excellent bargain! Brad Nailer, Finish Nailer, Staple Nailer. I purchased a Bostich framing nailer separately. In addition to the $279 bargain the promo included an additional 15000 nails/staples free.

The pancake compressor allows for easy portability, and Porter Cable includes a carry all bag for the nailers.

Comment

I have both the Ridgid Straight Finish Nailer and the Brad Nailer, buying them on one of those famous Christmas Holiday close-outs at Home Depot. (Purchase was $135, as I recall and I think I got the 7.5-volt angle driver as a bonus!) But, you probably don't want to wait to see what this holiday's offerings might be from Home Depot.

So in any case, I really like both of these tools and have used them a lot in the past year. Not a single jam so far and I love the swivel hose attachment and the easy load/unload of the magazine, as well as the easy depth adjustment. Obviously, the 90-day satisfaction guarantee, 3-year warranty, and (with registration) the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement are nice a nice plus!

I personally don't care for these "Pancake" style compressors, as most are aluminum, non-lube units which are too noisey for have one in close proximity. I recently purchase a 2-gallon, lubricated Craftsman compressor for $119 (Model 15312). Very portable and significantly more quiet than the Porter-Cable and DeWalt units that I've been around. Also, a bit smaller and with it's lubricated, cast-iron cylinder it should last longer too. (the initial fill of the tank is less than 2-minutes, so fast that the cylinder and head remain cool enough to lay your hand on. All controls are easily accessible, including the condensate drain valve. It's currently on sale for $109.99) (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...&sbv=Craftsman

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                        X