X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Fails Customer

I purchased the Ridgid 3 piece combo (drill, rec. saw, flashlight 18v) about 8 months ago to replace a 19 year old B&D Cyclone 14.4v

The B&D still works strong, but a failing contact causes it to intermittenly not run; the charger still works.

Right in the middle of my project, the Ridgid battery charger failed because it is defective. I contacted a Ridgid service company in Buffalo, NY and they tell me about (2) weeks for repair, and further demand that I give them the entire combo set.

I wrote to CS and told them I need the tools now rather than (2) weeks from now. Ridgid replied they are not equipped to provide that type of customer service. They further replied that the charger is not defective, it simply experienced a failure.

Perhaps Ridgid technicians are unaware that defective electronic components fail under load.

Whatever the case may be, Ridgid turns out to be another company that buys low quality products from china, and stamps their name on it, and the defective products inconvenience the buyer rather than Ridgid. Ridgid has my money now, they don't care if their products fail to perform as claimed

Re: Ridgid Fails Customer

Why not pick up a new charger from Home Depot to get you through your project and then take it back within 90 days? That way you get to use your tools before you can send them back.

I can appreciate why Ridgid would want the whole kit sent back, possibly to make sure it's not a problem with each tool and not just the charger.

You're not the first frustrated customer, won't be the last, yet I don't think anybody is ever going to get warranty service at a schedule that makes them happy.

Your story would certainly make a construction pro using his tools on a daily basis either reconsider his purchase or swear off Ridgid in the future.

Home Depot tool guys push the Lifetime Service Warranty which is nice, but you gotta be suspicious that a company that needs such a warranty to sell tools no doubt speaks volumes about the tool's quality. Of course I have some Ridgid tools and have been extremely pleased with them.

Unfortunately there are always some lemons in the pile, I guess.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

If you're a contractor who uses these tools on a daily basis then you should have a back up of some sorts for situations like this, that is only good business practice. If you're a homeowner/hobbyist then 2 weeks seems not that out of line if they have to check every tool in the kit to track down the problem and then possibly have to order parts to fix it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Where is the failure ? I mean it sucks to send in the tools for 2 weeks, but that is pretty much standard for a company if there is not a repair center close by that you can drop it off.
        Is there any other details you can share ?

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          If you're a contractor who uses these tools on a daily basis then you should have a back up of some sorts for situations like this, that is only good business practice. If you're a homeowner/hobbyist then 2 weeks seems not that out of line if they have to check every tool in the kit to track down the problem and then possibly have to order parts to fix it.
          I see, so what's a good business practice for Ridgid company?

Comment

Originally posted by Knary50 View Post
            Where is the failure ? I mean it sucks to send in the tools for 2 weeks, but that is pretty much standard for a company if there is not a repair center close by that you can drop it off.
            Is there any other details you can share ?
            Ridgid tool company has my money, and I have inoperable products that have less than 50 hours usage. The problem is clearly a manufacturer defect, yet Ridgid Inc. prefers that I be inconvenienced rather than taking care of the junk they sold.

Ridgid Inc. failed to produce an operable product that they sold; Ridgid Inc. failed to incorporate a method of taking care of defective products in a timely manner; Ridgid Inc. agent lied to me saying its not defective, it only experienced a failure; Ridgid Inc. failed to replace a defective product they sold me in a timely manner.

Ridgid Inc. simply doesn't care once they have your money in their pockets

Comment

Try a different service center in the Buffalo area if you didn't like the first answer maybe a different service center will give you a better answer

Comment

Originally posted by Vineck View Post
                Ridgid tool company has my money, and I have inoperable products that have less than 50 hours usage. The problem is clearly a manufacturer defect, yet Ridgid Inc. prefers that I be inconvenienced rather than taking care of the junk they sold.

Ridgid Inc. failed to produce an operable product that they sold; Ridgid Inc. failed to incorporate a method of taking care of defective products in a timely manner; Ridgid Inc. agent lied to me saying its not defective, it only experienced a failure; Ridgid Inc. failed to replace a defective product they sold me in a timely manner.

Ridgid Inc. simply doesn't care once they have your money in their pockets

How quick of a turn around did you expect this to be ?
                Does the charger suddenly work now ?

Comment

How quick of a turn around did you expect this to be ?
                  Does the charger suddenly work now ?
                  Ridgid Inc. could have very easily authorized Home Depot to issue a replacement unit off the shelf, and take the old one into their possession. Obviously this is too much of an inconvenience for Ridgid Inc. Ridgid's solution is that I transport the entire combo kit to one of their authorized service companies for testing. Obviously Ridgid's position is that I should be inconvenienced by the junk they sold.

Comment

Ridgid Inc. could have very easily authorized Home Depot to issue a replacement unit off the shelf, and take the old one into their possession. Obviously this is too much of an inconvenience for Ridgid Inc. Ridgid's solution is that I transport the entire combo kit to one of their authorized service companies for testing. Obviously Ridgid's position is that I should be inconvenienced by the junk they sold.
                    I don't know of any place that works warranties that why. Sure if it's within 30-90 days maybe, but after the sale it is the customer responsibility to handle warranties with the manufacturer not the retailer.

Comment

I don't know of any place that works warranties that why. Sure if it's within 30-90 days maybe, but after the sale it is the customer responsibility to handle warranties with the manufacturer not the retailer.
                      Are you suggesting to us that if you don't know about it, then it must not exist?

Comment

Are you suggesting to us that if you don't know about it, then it must not exist?
                        I am saying I deal with over 150 companies on day to day business including power tool companies like Milwaukee and others and none of them offer such services. The only why we would ever swap out something is if it was DOA.
                        Has anyone here ever had Ridgid approve Home Depot to give them a set of tools free in exchange for there defective sets after the 90 days return policy ?

Comment

I purchased the Ridgid 3 piece combo (drill, rec. saw, flashlight 18v) about 8 months ago to replace a 19 year old B&D Cyclone 14.4v

The B&D still works strong, but a failing contact causes it to intermittenly not run; the charger still works.

Right in the middle of my project, the Ridgid battery charger failed because it is defective. I contacted a Ridgid service company in Buffalo, NY and they tell me about (2) weeks for repair, and further demand that I give them the entire combo set.

I wrote to CS and told them I need the tools now rather than (2) weeks from now. Ridgid replied they are not equipped to provide that type of customer service. They further replied that the charger is not defective, it simply experienced a failure.

Perhaps Ridgid technicians are unaware that defective electronic components fail under load.

Whatever the case may be, Ridgid turns out to be another company that buys low quality products from china, and stamps their name on it, and the defective products inconvenience the buyer rather than Ridgid. Ridgid has my money now, they don't care if their products fail to perform as claimed
                          Let's see if we can get away from the rancor and get into a solution here.
                          1-Other posts on this forum indicate there is a wide disparity in the capbilities of the various service centers. I noticed there are three in the Buffalo, NY area. Maybe one of the others would provide faster service for you. Might be worth a try. See below:
                          UNITED ELECTRIC MOTOR
                          106 MICHIGAN AVE
                          BUFFALO
                          NY,14204
                          TEL: (716) 855-1945
                          No Fax Available
                          Miles From You = 2.3

JACK LAWN MOWER SERVICE
                          321 RIVER RD
                          NORTH TOWANDA
                          NY,14120
                          TEL: 7166949362
                          No Fax Available
                          Miles From You = 14.4

Specialty Tools Inc
                          3861 Buffalo Rd
                          Rochester
                          NY,14624
                          TEL: 585 594 1110
                          Fax: 585 594 0195
                          Miles From You = 58.0

2-I don't know which type of batts you have (Nicad or LI) but I have had the occasional LI batt not charge properly and then removed and replaced it in the charger which seemed to cause a reset and it charged fine. I assume you have two batts and neither are charging.

3-I don't believe Ridgid has an arrangement with HD where they can order them to replace defective tools for a customer. I have seen posts on this forum where customers have explained a urgent need to a Home Depot mgr. who has provided a replacement out of their inventory. To try this you should have the entire set with you as they could elect to replace it or just the charger. Sometimes they might have a returned set with a working charger they could let you have or the pro desk might have something or if it is a HD with a tool rental they might have the ability to provide a charger for a few weeks.
                          I have seen posts on this forum where customers have called Ridgid customer service and expained an urgent need for replacement of a defective tool, Ridgid has shipped a replacement to the customer at no cost to them.
                          It's important to remember that customer service people are human beings and like to be treated as such. You're mother was right. You will get more good stuff with honey!
                          Good luck and let us know how this resolution progresses.......Ray
                          Last edited by roadrashray; 09-12-2008, 03:12 PM.

Comment

When I had my Craftsjunkman cordless, the trigger burned out. It was part of a kit and every thing else was practically unused. I took it back within the one year warranty and I had to give everything back. I tried to explain that I only needed the drill. Didn't matter, they wanted the WHOLE set. Granted I walked out of there with a whole new set but it didn't make much sense. Maybe if Sears still had a parts and repair center in EVERY store the way they used to, I could have gotten a new trigger and been on my way. What the hell was my point? Oh yes, and for that reason, I'll never tap my foot in the stall again. Wait...no...I mean, it's not uncommon to have to give the whole set back. Forget that other part.

One important thiing to remember, as much as customer service may disagree with company policy, they didn't right it but they do have to uphold it.
                            If you use a calculator to layout rafters...get off my job!!!!

Comment

Ridgid already failed to provide a solution, and the combo was delivered to their authorized service company.

The service company informed me that I am required to give them the entire combo kit, even though only the charger is defective.

I wrote to Ridgid about this issue, and Ridgid confirmed it is true. Ridgid company arbitrarily changed the terms of the warrant contract, and perhaps there is a cause for a class-action suit.

I will be reviewing legal options. If Ridgid wants to test my tools, they can pay rent while in their possession.

Comment

Working...
                              X