Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v XLi battery, where to attach wires

Hi, I bought a 24v XLi battery and can not figure out where to plug in the
    positive and negative leads coming from a 24v motor.

1. do I need a adapter plug?

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.
    Otis

Re: 24v XLi battery, where to attach wires

Originally posted by owambolt View Post
    Hi, I bought a 24v XLi battery and can not figure out where to plug in the
    positive and negative leads coming from a 24v motor.

1. do I need a adapter plug?

Thanks in advance for any of your suggestions.
    Otis
    This seems like a very strange question! If you are using this for it's intended purpose of operating a Ridgid 24V tool, simply plug the battery into the tool. If you are using the battery to provide energy for some other purpose, the leads are located under the protective lip on top of the battery. I don't have one with me at the moment, however I believe there are "+" and "-" symbols embossed in the plastic lip above the leads.
    I feel compelled to add a cautionary note that lithium ion batteries can be dangerous if not used and handled correctly. If you are not using it with the Ridgid power tool it was designed for you are placing yourself at risk of injury or death. Lithium ion batteries have been known to explode.
    Just curious, what are you using the battery for?.......Ray
    Last edited by roadrashray; 09-14-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Terminals should be labelled right on the battery and you need a paddle connector for it. You have to measure the current your motor draws under heavy load because AFAIK Ridgid uses E-Moli's cells which can supply 20 amps per cell [don't take my word for it] and can explode if discharged hard. I've never taken a 24v ridgid drill apart so I can't tell if there is a current limiter in the handle or if it's in the battery iself (most likely in the battery) or if there is none at all. You can easily brick your battery if you don't know what you are doing. If you have no experience in electronics, stick to Lead-Acid or NiCd/NiMh batteries for your projects. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, wear gloves and safety glasses too - when cells rupture they spew their toxic intestines everywhere.

Comment

I would not mess with cordless drill packs. I used them several times as a kid to power home built projects and once managed to cause a cell to burst when opening up a very old nicad pack. somehow i shorted the main output terminals of the pack and immediately saw a cell start to swell up and hiss. by the time i was able to turn away it began spewing hot goo out a small vent hole and then the casing split open.

That was just a nicad and it was pretty bad and very messy. A friend had a lithium battery in a cell phone kaboom once while it was charging at night. blew the back out of the phone and caught fire. Luckily it was on his nightstand and the POP woke him up and he was able to put out the fire. I would imaging a pack 10X that size could do some serious damage if shorted or was charged/discharged improperly.

Comment

Working...
        X