Where are the hard cases?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the hard cases?

I've noticed that several of the Ridgid power tools now come with softside tool bag things instead of the nice hard cases they used to have.

The hard cases offer great protection, are more durable, and they stack and pack much nicer in the garage and in the truck. It's easier to organize hard cases. Those silly bags just sit in a big messy pile and I have to dig through them to find what tool I'm looking for. Additionally, they are difficult to keep clean and are total sawdust magnets.

Where are the hard cases? Bring them back! I went to buy an angle grinder about a week ago, and since it comes with a bag, I just bought a Dewalt for half the price. It didn't come with a bag or case, but I'm not going to shell out the extra money on the Ridgid if it only comes with a crappy bag. I would have happily bought the ridgid if it had a nice hard case like the rest of my Ridgid stuff.

Re: Where are the hard cases?

I agree. The hard cases are much easier to store and also have a tool ID. on the outside. The man bags all look the same so you have to open everyone until you find the tool you are looking for.

Comment

Well this is said tongue in cheek... I think we've found at least two of the hard cases right here in this thread.

Comment

When we started buying the Ridgid cordless tools I was very wary of the bags they came with instead of hard cases. I envisioned alot of damage to the tools as it is very common for our crews to pile tools and materials in the back of the trucks. We have now been using these tools in their bags for almost two years with virtually no damage.
        The reality is we have come to prefer the bags to individual or set plastic cases for the following reasons.......
        Convienence for having a "group" of tools handy to carry into a job site and ready to use. We have two sets of cordless tools. One bag contains the 18V drill and the Maxselect impact tool with all the various batteries, twist drills, Forstner drills, paddle drills, sets of bits, a charger and some misc screws, and a few other related items. Using a large Ridgid bag one man can carry most of what the crew might need for drilling and screwing.
        The other bag contains all the cordless saws including the circ saw, recip saw, jig saw and all their associated sets of blades and a few 24V LI batts and a charger.
        We now have many of the tools necessary to start or complete a job in two bags that can be carried by one man. With the hard cases it would require many trips to carry all the tools into the job site. The bags expand to carry more parts or tools and we can make up a bag that has exactly the tools we anticipate using on a job. A hard case designed for carrying a set of tools uses molded sections that don't offer the flexibility of the bag for mixing tools and additional stuff.
        Our fear of breakage due to lack of protection from the tools in the bags being piled in the back of the trucks has not materialized. I guess it can be chaulked up to the toughness of these tools (including our other Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, et all) but we have had no breakage since we have switched to using the bags of tools. I list those other tools because since the crews have realised the increased utility of the bags, they are now carrying these other tools in groups in various bags. We now have the specialty "drill" bag which contains the 24V hammer drill, the right angle impact, the 9.6V light duty drill and all their associated hardware. We have a drywall bag containing those drills, a mud mixing drill and associated bits and pieces.
        In the final analysis we have surprisingly found the bags to greatly increase the effiency of getting tools to the job site and have had no problems with breakage which we had feared.
        Go figure......Ray
        Last edited by roadrashray; 09-17-2008, 07:03 AM.

Comment

i have the hardcases from my craftsman tools and I ahte them. they take up a pile iof space. I put all my tools on the pegboard i have hung up to help keep track of my tools and for ease of finding and storage.
          The tool bags that came with my ridgid tools and other tool brands. they are great and work wll for many other things besides tools storage carrying.
          I gave my last orange bag to my soon to be wife's mom, she is an RN and uses it as a medical bag for the car, she can fit everything yshe carries in the car jsut in case she feels the need to give treatment in case of accident. The GF uses one bag for her craftstuff.

I like the fact i can throw the tools i need in one bag for small jobs and not have to lug a big hard tool box to work. I can put screws, bits, and whatever else in the pockets, and have rooom for the extra tools like tape measure, hammer, pry bar etc depending on the job in the one bag with the power tools i need. hard cases just carry the one tool they are designed to hold

besides the tool you want or need is always in the bottom of the pile of cases. at least with the bags it is harder to stack and bury tools in the stack of bags.
          But everyone has a opinion on bags vs hardcaes.....i just think my opinion is the right one lol

Comment

I hate hard cases. Most of them require such finicky tool and cord arrangement that they become a tiresome waste of time to put away tools in. Not being able to store accessories in them is also a major drawback. They take up too much space and are inconvineient when you need to carry several tools each having it's own clunky case. I've ended up getting rid of most of my cases and buying large contractor bags on ebay. I can throw in a bunch of tools in one bag with all the bits blades and parts needed.

Comment

Bags are cheaper than hard cases so manufacturers use bags and pass the savings on to you! Or they keep it.

Also hard cases make the product bigger and Home Depot can only fit so many products and stock on their shelves. Home Depot loves the bags as this leads to less downstocking as more product can be on the racks.

I have 25 hard cases from the 18V X2 pistol grip hammerdrills that are free for the taking. I'm in DFW. PM me if you want them. You have to take at least 5 though, no onesie twosies.

And, no, Ridgid was not smart enough to make these cases versatile to take more than one kind of drill. These are specific to the 18V X2 pistol grip hammerdrills.
              I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

I actually prefer the hard cases. No worries when I toss a tool in the back of my truck I know the tool wont be damaged. I also have two tool boxes in the truck that I stack the tools into it is so much easer to organize the cases over any bags I might have.

Though some cases could have more room like the cordless drill could have use a spot to keep different screw bits

Jim
                http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Comment

Originally posted by signal15 View Post
                  I've noticed that several of the Ridgid power tools now come with softside tool bag things instead of the nice hard cases they used to have.
                  The hard cases offer great protection, are more durable, and they stack and pack much nicer in the garage and in the truck. It's easier to organize hard cases. Those silly bags just sit in a big messy pile and I have to dig through them to find what tool I'm looking for. Additionally, they are difficult to keep clean and are total sawdust magnets.
                  Where are the hard cases? Bring them back! I went to buy an angle grinder about a week ago, and since it comes with a bag, I just bought a Dewalt for half the price. It didn't come with a bag or case, but I'm not going to shell out the extra money on the Ridgid if it only comes with a crappy bag. I would have happily bought the ridgid if it had a nice hard case like the rest of my Ridgid stuff.
                  IMO both the hard cases and soft bags have a place on the job or work shop. Most of my corded power tools are stored in their original hard cases or the hard cases from discarded tools. Hard cases can be easily modified to adapt to new tool configurations. I usually use the soft bags for my cordless tools and carry extra batteries to finish a job. The only soft bags that I personally dislike are the very large ones where a lot of tools can be carried to the jobsite (+++) but some tools or parts can get buried or hidden (---). I have used some of these large tough bags for over night excursions and camping. I have purchased hard cases from HD/Lowes from tools used for display or cases that seem to lying around for around $5.
                  Last edited by reConx; 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

If I may chime in on this subject...I like the hard cases-they help build my forearm muskles...aarg aarg aarg aarg aarg aarg

Actually I really do like the cases...just not the ones that are molded to the tool. I have recycled some old ones for newer tools that don't have cases. DeWalt sawzall cases are great for my long drill bits.
                    If you use a calculator to layout rafters...get off my job!!!!

Comment

Those hard cases get taxed out the wazoo if they are designed to hold anything except the products they ship with. Its not that Ridgid isnt smart enough to design them with more space- its that regulations dont make it feasible to do so.

Comment

Working...
                      X