X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw throat plate

Has anybody made there own zct for there miter saw? I have the MS1250LZ1 and was cutting some scrap down and had a piece bust my plate. No big deal was my fault for how i was doing it but went to order a new plate. Was saying cool there under two bucks no problem pulled the credit card out and ordered one. Got to the check out and find out shipping is going to cost eight bucks still went ahead and ordered it since the total price was still under ten bucks but still think its crazy that shipping cost so much for a small light part like that. Will not order anouther if I can help it.

So im wondering if anyone has mad there own and if so what thickness wood did you use? couse I'm thinking of making one once this one gets here so I can use it as a template.

Jim
    http://www.jcremodeling.net/

Re: Miter saw throat plate

I have used a 1/2" ply piece across the fence on occasion, and have used the same under the work on the base, but have not made a permanent installed piece for mine.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

This might sound crazy but I'll bet the shipping would have been the same for two ZCIs and maybe three. You might of bought a second one and if the shipping stayed the same the cost per unit would be lower but you'd be spending $2 more. Maybe find someone you know who is looking for a ZCI and order it at the same time to cut the shipping costs.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob I was originally planing on buying two or three but at the time when I ordered it only showed one available. At $1.65 each there cheap enough its the shipping that bites. Wish home depot carried them.

Jim

Comment

Yep!! Due to the fuel surcharges UPS rates have gone through the roof.
          Two suggestions:
          1-Ask them if the item can be shipped by USPS. For packages under one pound USPS Priority mail usually will get there in two days for $4.85. For 1st class under 12oz the rate is $2.70 and will get anywhere in the country in less than seven days. You might as well take advantage of your tax dollars that go to subsidize the good old postal service.
          2-Many places automaticly assume you want it fast and quote a "second day" UPS rate. Ask what the savings will be for normal ground shipping which may increase a cross country ship time to five days, however the rate will be much less. For a short distance of say 500 miles the shipping time may be the same beause the package is shipped by truck in either case.
          The point is to ask for options in shipping a part, especially if a few extra days is acceptable......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
            Yep!! Due to the fuel surcharges UPS rates have gone through the roof.
            Two suggestions:
            1-Ask them if the item can be shipped by USPS. For packages under one pound USPS Priority mail usually will get there in two days for $4.85. For 1st class under 12oz the rate is $2.70 and will get anywhere in the country in less than seven days. You might as well take advantage of your tax dollars that go to subsidize the good old postal service.
            This would have been nice if we had been given the option but no option for shipping was given when ordering on line.

2-Many places automaticly assume you want it fast and quote a "second day" UPS rate. Ask what the savings will be for normal ground shipping which may increase a cross country ship time to five days, however the rate will be much less. For a short distance of say 500 miles the shipping time may be the same beause the package is shipped by truck in either case.
            The point is to ask for options in shipping a part, especially if a few extra days is acceptable......Ray
            Again we where not asked how fast we wanted the part. The company that handles replacement parts uses FEDEX Ground and the part wont get here until the 23rd. On top of that received no tracking number so we can see where it is. (must not use one for ground residential)

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X