TS2400 Died?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 Died?

My TS2400 table saw died on me this afternoon.

The blade acted like it was locked, I turned it with a stick. The blade ran for 20-90 seconds and the thermal overload kicked out. I let it cool and reset. Continues to act the same. The blade spins freely by hand. Any hope for it or is it toast. Machine is 3-4 years old that I bought second hand. Any thoughts or things to check?

Re: TS2400 Died?

I'm sure someone else will have a better idea, but just for grins, do you have any way to check to see if there's a thermocouple that might have gone bad? I don't even know if the saw has one, but it's possible they put one in near (or in) the sealed motor to protect it from overheat. If it's in the sealed motor, a motor replacement would solve the problem. If it's external from the motor, you might be able to replace it with a new one.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Without your saw here I can only guess. Do you by any chance have or have access to an AC Ammeter with a range of about 0 - 25 Amperes and a "Line Splitter" or an Inline AC Ammeter? The idea is to measure no load current draw.

Does the motor produce a burning smell and/or can you see much sparking near the end of the motor away from the blade?

Please go here http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Literature-Search

In the search box type in TS2400LS_266_r.pdf or copy and paste it into the search box. Then once there download and open the file in Acrobat Reader.

On page 6 look at where part numbers 44 & 45 are located. This is where you would look for sparking. Some light sparking is normal when the saw it running. If it's throwing out sparks, then take the saw to a power tool service center. If you're lucky the carbon brushes may need replacing and the brush holders cleaning. The carbon brushes are #42 in the picture and you need a set of 2 of them. They are part #816768

If there's a foul stink of burning varnish you may have a more serious problem. That's where a good power tool repair shop could help figure what's wrong.

Comment

after 6 months mine did the same the motor seized

Comment

After 18 months ownership with very occational use, just this weekend I found that the elevation gears binded: I can crank, the shaft turns but the damn gears are not turning.

I am bring it to the service ctr later this week. Do I need to bring along the LLSA tag? Do I need to dig out the sales receipt?

I uasually vacumn the unit after each use, including the motor compartment (i.e., not just the top), but I NEVER degrease the unit.. obviously saw dust stick to the lub/grease ...

Am I supposed to degrease the unit? How do you keep ifrom binding again?

Comment

I use Dow Corning 321 Dry Lubricant on my saw. It help reduce the amount of sawdust build-up.

When you take you saw into the service center, all you should need is the LLSA card with your member number on it. There should be no need to bring in the sales receipt as the LLSA card is proof of ownership.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Dave. I have a can of Lithium lub , should that be fine, too?

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              I use Dow Corning 321 Dry Lubricant on my saw. It help reduce the amount of sawdust build-up.

When you take you saw into the service center, all you should need is the LLSA card with your member number on it. There should be no need to bring in the sales receipt as the LLSA card is proof of ownership.

Comment

Working...
              X